A "Which bag?" thread with a poll! And links!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by livingfortoday, Sep 30, 2006.

?

Which bag would YOU get?

Poll closed Oct 5, 2006.
  1. STM Alley

6 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Timbuk2 Laptop Tote

7 vote(s)
    23.3%
  3. Marware Sportfolio Deluxe

8 vote(s)
    26.7%
  4. Axio Courier Case

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. 15" STM Brink

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  6. Incase Nylon Sleeve

6 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Hey, look, another "what bag should I get?" thread! Yay!

But seriously, after going through the long list of manufacturers I found in the forums on Macrumors, I've narrowed it down to these six possible bags. So. I've decided to start a poll to see what people would get for their 15" Powerbooks. I'm looking for something that looks at place in a business environment (my bright blue Timbuk2 Commute doesn't, unfortunately), something small enough to carry around comfortably, and something with enough space for a power adapter and maybe some books and papers.

Here are my choices:
    1) STM Alley - $44.95
    2) Timbuk2 Laptop Tote (Large) - $80
    3) Marware Sportfolio Deluxe Black for MacBook Pro - $79.95
    4) Axio Courier Case 15" - $34.95
    5) 15" STM Brink - $49.95
    6) Incase Nylon Sleeve - $49.95

Let the voting begin!

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The STM Alley won't be big enough for books and paper, although my model is for the 12" PowerBook, which also happens to fit a 13" MB perfectly. It's great for holding the 15" PB, adapter, a novel, and 2 sandwiches. ;) I'm a student, and I'm telling you that if you want to hold notes and other things, get something else. The section for notes also has to double as a place to hold your AC adapter and anything else you might bring, so I rarely use it for more than a few journal articles (say 15 pages of A4 sized white paper)

The STM Alley looks best, though.

How does the Timbuk2 look business-like at all?

Right now my vote goes for the Marware in black/grey.

3. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I got my bag from Muji.

Lovely clean black design, suitable for work or attending informal events. Can transform into rucksack design or messenger bag or brief case. All the bits tuck away and vanish when you don't need them.

Most laptop bags I've seen are quite cluttered in their design. This one isn't.

The Muji has a laptop sleeve inside, makes it really easy to pull my PB out and slide it back in.

The one I brought, last year's model, fitted 15'' laptops, but the internal sleeve was a tiny bit too narrow for my PB15 which has a widescreen. So I cut the sleeve down one side and hemmed up the edge, and it fits perfectly now.

Hopefully this year's sleeve will be wider to fit 15'' MBP. It already fits standard MacBooks and iBooks anyway.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I have got a Tucano sleeve for my Macbook but cannot vote for that as it's not an option, I have to admit when I saw this thread I thought it was about handbag's not laptop cases ;)

5. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Crumpler make awesome bags. I very highly recommend them.

6. epicwelshman macrumors 6502a

epicwelshman

I have the STM Alley for my 13" MacBook, and I love it to death. It's amazing.

7. kondspi macrumors regular

kondspi

The link for the incase sleeve is bad.

8. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

Oh, yeah, it's to the Apple store, and those links change or something, apparently.

epicwelshman - Is the 15" Alley big enough to hold another book or a notebook, say? Along with a Powerbook and charger? I haven't found any photos of the insides yet, just the outsides.

Abstract - Do you think the 15" Alley might have more room on the insides for papers and such, since it is a bit bigger than the 13"?

I guess so far it's really between that one and the Marware (which is the most spacious of the two, it would seem). I'll wait another day or two to see if any one else has experience as well, though. Thanks for the replies so far!

9. danielbriggs macrumors 6502

You NEED a Crumpler Team Player (or similar!)
    They really are ACE!

Dan :)

10. macten macrumors newbie

Timbuk2 Commute

Stick with the Timbuk2 Commute, only get a black one to blend in more. I work in a Big4 accounting firm and it works for me.

11. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

I can't seem to find that on their site. Though honestly, a large part of why I haven't considered Crumpler is of how terrible I find navigating their website to be. I can't really see if stuff fits my Pb, etc. So if anyone has any good recommendations to other places I could find their bags online (in the US, though), I'd appreciate it.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I have lots of bag recommendations, but if you need profesional looking..... http://booqbags.com/. It's a lot more expensive than the STM Alley, though. I like the Alley. And correction: I actually have the Small Loft, not the Small Alley. The Small loft isn't as ugly as it looks on the STM website. I think it's nice, and a female artist friend of mine complemented me on it. ;)
    However, I've looked at the Alley and they're around the same, so my advice still stands. Get the STM Alley. :)

If you want really professional looking bags, it really can go higher end. I don't suggest it, but for interest sakes. ;)

http://www.knomobags.com/

Some wickedly cool bags from Knomo. Seriously.

Yes, but then the 13" MB will be sort of "flooding" inside of it. I like perfect fits, but if you get a sleeve for it and just put the MB + sleeve into the bag, it'll be fine.

I'm guessing you can fit 2-3 magazines + AC adapter, or your AC adapter + water bottle + sandwiche/lunch + 1 magazine.

Photo?

13. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

I got a Be.ez LaRobe for my MB which was inexpensive and I really like. Is a larger one of those an option for your PB?

14. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

Well, the LaRobe has no space for anything else, as it's really a sleeve and not a bag. I'm looking for more of a bag. The LeVertigo Bag they have is nice, but it looks like there's not enough space in it for much else. Plus, I don't see an option for purchasing in the US on their website.

15. shecky Guest

shecky

i quite like Crumpler with 2 exceptions:

1. their website is so retarded and stupid that it always makes me wonder for a minute how they can make a good product with someone saying "OK" to that car wreck of a website. i understand trying to be "cool" and "edgy" and "fringe" but its just moronic. having said that the website is not indicative of how they make their bags so its kind of a moot point.

2. i CANNOT STAND all the really, really loud velcro on their bags. i am in the market for a new bag with my Lapzilla and i would go for crumpler but the velcro kills me.

16. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

Is there a Crumpler you would recommend for a 15" Powerbook (velcro issue aside)? I have the same problem with their site, plus I can't seem to find which bag will for sure fit my needs, since it's all crazy over there.

17. shecky Guest

shecky

i think the one i liked is called "the horseman"?

something like that.

18. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

Ah, I see it. It's a bit out of my price range, though. I like "The Luncheon", but it's a bit pricey, and none of the bags really look that great to me, I guess. Gah.

At this point I'm most likely going for the Marware bag, as it's the nicest one I've found so far (IMHO). Plus, the poll is leaning towards it too.

19. epicwelshman macrumors 6502a

epicwelshman

I'm not sure. I know that in my 13" Alley the MacBook is snug and fits perfectly, I can fit my charger inside, as well as my iPod, cell phone and a couple of thin books or notepads.

20. KilGil27 macrumors regular

KilGil27

21. semicharmed macrumors regular

Right now I'm using a Timbuk2 Classic (medium) + a Sumo sleeve. The sleeve is amazing, and the bag is big enough for the sleeve, power adapter, and two or three textbooks (Calculus, Molec. Bio and Chem). I like padded sleeves better than the ballistic neoprene ones, more protection for jostles and the big heavy books I have.

The all-black, or the black and grey Timbuk2 is proffessional looking- a bunch of professors here have the.

Link for sleeve: http://www.sumocases.com/store/product_info.php/products_id/51

22. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Another vote for Crumpler. I love my Base Toucher! :D

Although, if it has to reflect anything businesslike..well perhaps not then.

23. bossass macrumors regular

Dakine Dual backpack. $20 on steepandcheap.com

24. Boxer macrumors regular

25. miniguu macrumors regular

Are the be.ez sleeves available in the US? A quick google search didn't turn up any retailers..