A White Christmas in South Texas

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by G4scott, Dec 25, 2004.

1. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20041225/D876M1C02.html

This was really amazing... I saw it snow in Austin in February or January this year, but not like this. Although we didn't have huge snow drifts, and most of it has melted already, it's still pretty cool.

By the way, these pictures were taken in McAllen, TX

Some pictures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Those are beautiful pictures G4scott, Merry Christmas. ;) The pictures make me so jealous. Although I expect that we will get more than our share in January & February. On average we only have a 30 - 40% chance of a White Christmas here in Boston.

Today the T 32 clear and sunny. The ground is brown. We have a chance of snow flurries overnight. With a >50% chance of 1 - 2" of snow Sunday into Monday. It will make the after Christmas shopping seem like a treat.

3. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I live in North Texas, and I was pleasantly surprised to know that you guys got snow. Up north, people think it's an annoyance, but down here people love to see it. Since we don't get alot of snow, though, people suck at driving in it. Congrats, G4Scott. Thanks for the pictures, and Merry Christmas!

4. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I can't remember the last time there was snow here in Oregon on Christmas day. Last year, though, we somehow managed to get about nine inches of snow the day Oregon State opened for the winter term. School was closed two days that week and I got stranded in town overnight on Monday since I couldn't get home from campus. It was cool though. I even built a snowman. It seems like we get a couple inches of snow here every three or four years, but last year was wicked cool.

5. greenleaf macrumors member

seriously dude i dont think its ever snowed in Oregon on christmas since ive been alive :mad:

6. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

The weather guys were all excited saying that it will be a white Christmas in Seatte.

What a shock it only rained. :rolleyes:

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I talk to my brother about 2 hours ago. He got a white Christmas for the first time in years. Was part of the snow that hit the Midwest. Said that he got between 17 - 20" of snow on Thursday. It paralyzed the area. Then is was bitterly cold. A great time to just spend it at home and relax. The weather men were comparing it to the Blizzard of '78 which was in February. Although the said the wind was the worst thing then. They actually got more snow from this storm.

8. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

It has, the year I was in kindergarten. That was 1989.

9. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

10. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

No snow in North Austin :(.

We were really hoping for it, too.

Oh well, you are bound for dissapointment if you expect snow anywhere in Texas ;).

scem0

11. greenleaf macrumors member

well then taht would make me 2 :D

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Now the snow storm seems to have arrived in Boston. A white post Christmas Day.

Suffolk County, Boston

Winter storm warning in effect until 8 am est Monday.Wind advisory in effect until 8 am est Monday.

Tonight: snow. Visibility one quarter mile or less at times after midnight. Additional snow accumulation of 6 to 10 inches. Very windy with lows around 20. Northeast winds 25 to 35 mph with gusts up to 45 mph.
    Monday: snow in the morning, then partly cloudy with a chance of snow showers in the afternoon. Storm total snow accumulation 6 to 12 inches. Breezy with highs in the mid 20s. North winds 15 to 25 mph with gusts up to 45 mph, becoming northwest 10 to 15 mph with gusts up to 25 mph in the afternoon.
    Monday Night: partly cloudy. Lows around 10 above. West winds 10 to 15 mph with gusts up to 25 mph.
    Tuesday: partly cloudy. Highs around 30. West winds 10 to 15 mph with gusts up to 25 mph.

13. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

no snow in south florida on christmas... but we did get 90 degree weather, and rain!

14. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Snowed in Portland about this time last year (beginning of Jan), and shut the city down for a day or too.

I believe Salem was also snowed on.

It was great.

15. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

We got about nine inches of snow down here in Corvallis.

16. 512ke macrumors 6502a

512ke

I was in Houston on Dec 24-25. We had flurries but the snow didn't stick to the ground. My kids (5 and 7) went nuts. It was like pure gold was flowing. They had never seen snow falling before. You can't imagine how excited they were. Like, running around in frantic circles screaming in joy at the top of their lungs. For an hour.

I lived in the Berkshires for several years. There, the snow would fall in June sometimes, making you think of ways of killing yourself out of depression. Snow was only fun from about Dec to March. :)

I guess when you have a scarce amount of something, it's gold. When you've got it up to your knees for six months straight, it's not gold. :)

Tangent: If 97% of the computer users in the world used Apple, would Apple still be so dang cool?

17. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I think that Apple would still be cool. The quality and ease of use would still shine through.

We did get the predicted 10" of snow. Neighbors got together and helped each other out. There were two out with snow plows to clear sidewalks and driveways. I was one assisting with the other areas.

It is such a beautiful scene to look out my window,

18. darkwing macrumors 65816

19. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Scientists aren't in agreement. I have seen stories on PBS where they check ice going back for centuries and millennium. That wide shifts in global weather have always occurred. There is just too much politics related to the use of the term.

20. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Well, it's clear that a global shift in temperature of several degrees Fahrenheit isn't uncommon, but it usually takes several thousand years for that kind of temperature change. What is concerning people right now is that such a large temperature shift has happened in the last 150 years--about the same time frame that large-scale use of carbon-based fuel, especially for industrial purposes, has been widespread. I think there is serious cause for concern.

I don't think that anybody has to lose their jobs over this, because new jobs will be created in the distribution of cleaner energy, but the fossil fuel conglomerates are largely resisting this change, or are unwilling to "think outside the box". Instead of positioning themselves to provide newer, cleaner sources of energy (Shell and BP/Amoco/Arco are notable exceptions), they're raising alarms about the potential loss of fossil fuel business. As a result, they fire people either because they don't see any alternative (as opposed to keeping those people and getting them involved in alternative energy production), or, perhaps even worse, using peoples' jobs as pawns in the game to keep the status quo--"Look, all these people are losing their jobs over all this hubbub."

21. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

Ever hear of something called the 'atlantic conveyor'? It's a stream of waterwhich moves warm water north through the atlantic. Global warming seems to be slowing down the conveyor, which may mean that most of the northern hemisphere will become much colder, dryer, and windier. I wonder if these snow storms have anything to do with the slowing conveyor.

http://calspace.ucsd.edu/virtualmuseum/climatechange1/10_5.shtml

http://faculty.washington.edu/wcalvin/teaching/Broecker99.htmlurl]

http://hoopermuseum.earthsci.carleton.ca/climate/CONVEYOR.HTM

[EDIT] I'm not saying that global warming is being caused by humans, but you can't deny the temperature of earth is rising. It may be simple climate change. Nevertheless, it may mean that the atlantic conveyor will slow down, or in a worst-case scenario, shut down.

22. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

What cracks me up about snow in Texas is that people aren't used to it, so they don't know how to drive on it.

On one of those rare previous occasions when southern Texas got snow, there was something about a big multi-car highway collision caused by, like, an inch of snow. Here in the Great Lakes area, that's nothing. (In fact, some idiots fly in their cars on one inch of snow.)

23. greenleaf macrumors member

Down in Eugene we got 9-10 inches aswell...it was awesome :D