A Wii Vote

Discussion in 'Games' started by SBleed@mchsi.co, Nov 9, 2006.

1. SBleed@mchsi.co macrumors member

SBleed@mchsi.co

I've been thinking a lot about getting a Nintendo Wii. I would like to ask for a vote.

Do you think the Nintnedo Wii has promise of being a hit, or do you think it's gonna be another Virtual Boy, or N64 flop?

I won't buy a PS3 or XBox360 so it's either Wii or just straight computer games. What are your thoughts?

2. barkins macrumors regular

barkins

I have a friend who works in the video game industry and told me today that he got a chance to play on the Wii. Sadly, he was very disappointed.

He played Project HAMMER and Red Steel and in both games, the controls seemed sluggish and ackward. Furthermore, he told me that the graphics were subpar, in comparison to the Xbox 360 and soon PS3. Of course we knew that already, but he explains that it just looks very out-dated.

I was going to get a Wii before I heard this news, but now I'm just going to hold off until all the reviews come in. I suggest you do the same.

3. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

You are forgetting that the Wii also has the Virtual Console (translation: legal ROM playing :) )

So if you want Yoshi's Island, Super Mario Bros. 3, etc. all in one place -- Wii does that too, on top of the Wii lineup of Zelda:TP, Smash, etc.

Up to you, but Wii is the only thing I'd spend my money on right now. Until RE5 comes out, I have little reason to even consider an XBOX360, and PS3--not a single Sony exclusive interests me in the slightest.

4. WillMak macrumors 6502a

N64 is a flop?

5. barkins macrumors regular

barkins

6. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

7. SBleed@mchsi.co thread starter macrumors member

SBleed@mchsi.co

The way I see it. PS3 & XBox360 are computers you can hook-up to a TV. Nothin spectacular about them, other than updated graphics.

The Wii interested me because of the Idea behind it. The graphics according to IGN were better than Xbox, but no where near the capabilities of PS3 & XBox360.

Graphics have been a major focus for companies for far too long. Once again they may make a mistake as with N64. They want to change the controller and call it a revolution, but it's a simple fact that the systems hardware is inferior.

That is my sceptical (not sure of that spelling) side.
    My othe side thinks that if this Nontendo Wii is embraced then it could perhaspe have a major affect on consoles to come.

You can browse the net, and download updates, and games and all sorts of possibilities for all the consoles...
    But the way the Wii changes how you interact with the console (when your using the Wii-mote instead of the classic controller) is new, and very appealing to me.

I am kind of turned off by the Sluggish control comment. I was afraid of that. I had hoped that the Wii-mote had a wireless signal much like the Wavebird controllers in terms of signal strength, but if the Wii-mote responds with obvious lag, then I might reconsider buying it.

8. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

okay guy, you do know that Nintendo is praised and revered on this board right? Just about everyone here is gonna tell you the Wii is the second coming (or first depending on which faith you so happen to practice) so if you want an un-bias look, I would suggest looking at some gaming sites and reading up on their hands-on impressions etc.

9. WillMak macrumors 6502a

So SNES is a flop too then.

10. Andrew7724 macrumors newbie

I don't know about the games that he had played, but from all the videos, news, website first impressions, they have not talked about "sluggish" controls yet.

Go search on U tube (is that how you spell it?), there were some footage of a Japanese Wii event that showed all sorts of games and the people attending the event could play around with them. The games looked amazing.

I don't think Wii will fail this time. The idea is absolutely innovative. Personally, I don't really care about graphics, I care more about game play. :D

11. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The Wii has promise. Serious promise. It has the potential to do for consoles what the DS did for handhelds. If it even has a fraction of the success the DS had (and riding on the success of the DS alone might be enough to guarantee it's success) it will be an awesome console.

At this point, the Wii is guaranteed in Japan. Nobody is buying the XBox 360, so it comes down to Wii and PS3. With the way the DS is dominating Japan (like 80% of console sales every week), the Wii is almost guaranteed to take off.

In the U.S., DS has around 30% of console sales (beating even the PS2) monthly. It's not so obscenely popular that it will guarantee the Wii's success (like in Japan) but it's doing well enough that I'm sure the Wii will perform decently.

I really don't think there's any way the Wii can flop at this point. Worst case it could sell similar numbers to GameCube; best case, it might end up the best selling console. Turn into another Virtual Boy? Nintendo has way too much behind it (Virtual Boy had virtually no third party support, a weak lineup of games, no backwards compatability with anything, and little advertising).

The Wii isn't trying for first place; it's trying to be everyone's second console. From everyone I've talked to, it seems to be working. XBox 360 owners want a Wii in addition. Future PS3 owners want a Wii for a second console. Even some PC gamers who hate consoles want a Wii.

There is no lag; Red Steel just did a very bad job of handling the controls. Turning around was a pain.
    Just like the DS, Wii games vary greatly. Some will tack on the controls, and they'll suck. Others will embrace them, and those games will rock.

I've played the Wii, multiple times, and had much more positive experiences...however, depending on the game. Red Steel, meh (newer builds look better, we can only hope). Excite Truck, okay. Zelda? Mario? Metroid? WarioWare? OMG. :D

12. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

According to that chart, the N64 outsold the XBox. Check XBox sales numbers sometime ;)

24 million shipped (not sold) by the end of 2005. GameCube had sold 20 million by that same time. Microsoft doesn't release the sold numbers sadly. Actually, I've been curious if the GameCube might end up surpassing the XBox for second place, simply because through 2006 GameCube has been outselling XBox because XBox owners are buying 360's, and the GC and XBox were only a couple million apart. Doesn't look like it's going to, though.

So the XBox is technically a failure by your standard. Apparently, everything but the PS2, PS1, and NES is.

Project HAMMER was lame...
    Red Steel had cruddy controls in the earlier builds (haven't played the later builds) and cruddy graphics.

I played Red Steel at E3.

And so you know; I HAVE played the Wii. Tell your friend he needs to try Zelda, Metroid, and Super Mario Galaxy to understand :D
    Eh? I'm not sure how the N64 comparison applies. The N64's hardware far outperformed the Playstation.

13. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

By not using CD's N64 lost its hardware lead, ie FF7. I think most people will take a 10-40 second load time if they can get a 40+ hour game out of it.

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The FF games were the exception, not the rule; and the length of games on the N64 were not limited by the cartridge size. The CD's merely allowed the FF games to have the glamorous cutscenes and fancy backgrounds they did. And most PS1 games had nowhere near the content FF did.

Graphically, Final Fantasy 7 sucked compared to, say, OoT. You could count the individual polygons in Cloud's hair.

+http://www.cavesofnarshe.com/ff7/screenshots/images/014.png vs +http://www.geocities.com/serra_0/loz05screenshot.jpg

15. macidiot macrumors 6502a

Your point is valid about waiting for some hands on time.

As for graphics, yes the wii is inferior to both the 360 and ps3. It also only costs $250. Simply put, if graphics are all you care about, get a PS3 (the 360 is inferior to the PS3).

But as the DS vs PSP has shown, graphics really don't matter. The PSP has vastly superior hardware, but its getting punked in the market by the ds. What matters are games and how much fun they are.

I suspect that with the combination of good pricing and innovative games, the Wii will do very well.

16. SBleed@mchsi.co thread starter macrumors member

SBleed@mchsi.co

Thank You. Totally.
    I am Nintnedo all the the way. Other than the Dreamcast I have been a major suporter of Niintnedo systems.
    Gameboy, Gameboy Advance, SNES, Dreamcast (SEGA), N64, & GC. And I've bought at least 30 games for those systems each, at least. And as many of you may think I am...
    I'm not exagerating. I have 23 gameboy games, and 32 SNES games. Origional, still in boxes, & the Super Gameboy too., and 2 Game Genies (one with the guard plate removed to allow 10 Game genie codes)
    The first console I spent money on was the SNES and it is still my favorite system. I use ZSNES on PC daily because SNES is the best console ever created in my opinion. I was just hoping that someone would finally encourage me to get a Wii.

The vote has been taken and you guys have proven me right. Nintendo is the way to go.

I've been spending my money on Nintendo for so many years, and I only recently started to doubt that investment, you have restored my faith in them.

Thank You all.

17. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

No it wasn't...it clearly sold better the NGC..why wouldn't you say that Gamecube has? But still even that wasn't...Nintendo still made money on it

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

To OP

I think you should make your own mind up.
    Your money, your choice.

Yoe seem to have enough opinions, so it' shouldnt be too hard to decide one way or the other.

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

... So how did the greatest scoring game ever appear on it? I'm confused. Wouldn't something that failed have nothing but rubbish on it (Virtual Boy, PSP etc). But the highest (prior to Halo) ranking console FPS, the highest rated game ever? hmm.

I'd say test a Wii first. All the credible reviewers were positive about the controller, the press absolutely adores it (after playing). Plus you can always take it back. Something people tend to forget. So if you don't like it you'd have at least 14 days to return it (I think GAME do 14 days)...

Sounds to me like you already have the answer you were looking for.

20. ClassicFitness macrumors member

Let's not forget that the N64 is a tank. Let me explain. A couple years ago, I forgot my N64 in my backyard on the garden table for a whole night. There was a big storm and a lot of rain all night long. On the morning, I found my N64 all wet. Inside the machine, it was a real pool. So It dry with the sun all day long and during the same night I plug it and was working perfectly. I could finish my Majora's Mask game. It is trully awesome.:eek: Don't expect that from a playstation for shure.

Oh yes, and by the way, I'll get a Wii on the 19th. Straight on!!!

21. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

The biggest problem I see with this article (and suggesting N64 was a failure) is that the author doesn't seem to look at anything but the graph, the numbers.

He fails to take into consideration the industry landscape of each generation. Nintendo faced ever increasing competition each successive generation.

If you look at the numbers objectively, you could even say that the release of the Sony Playstation did not even half Nintendo's marketshare.

SNES had competition primarily from the Megadrive/Genesis, yet that seemed to only eat into their previous sales record 18%, then N64 had even stronger competition from Playstation, which brought them down 35%, Then with two competitors (Xbox and PS2) they went down 33%.

All in all that is still pretty strong, since the NES they are still above 33% of their original market.

22. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

You fail at explaining...

Why wasn't your N64... I dunno... inside instead of in your back yard? :eek: :D

23. simonberri macrumors newbie

Id say Wii all the way.
    Currently i bow to the ps2 g-d but the more information and videos i see of the Wii i get more and more excited!!
    Dancing in ur living room with a controller in ur hand seems awesome playing the sports games or using it as a sword for zelda it looks great and the price is going to be the most competative out of all of them for a nxt gen console!!

24. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

I call BS. :D
    Go watch some of the videos that have surfaced of other games over the last month. No sluggish gameplay. I've seen videos of Excite Truck at Gamestop Demo Units and have not seen anything that looks like sluggish control. I've watched the NFS Carbon developer video on IGN, the TH Downhill Jam video on IGN - neither has sluggish control. I've watched a bunch of videos from the Nintendo World show which was basically footage shot directly at people playing the game, moving their controllers/arms - and I see no sluggish control.

Like GFLPraxis said, Red Steel has screwy controls. Heck, every preview I've read about the game states the same. Red Steel has a large [invisible] reticule box, so you have to move the controller really far sideways or up/down to move (like Halo 1&2 are), whereas CoD3 and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption have smaller reticules and are quicker to respond to moving around.

Project HAMMER I thought looked incredibly stupid but I've never played it, and besides, it's still an unfinished game so it could get better.

To the OP:
    My thought is - the Wii is the only system to truly offer something new, and that's why my priority is to buy a Wii first. I'll eventually end up with a 360 or a Ps3 (assuming the price drops $200-$300 by the time I'm shopping) to satisfy my HD gaming fix, but in the meantime, I can't wait to buy and play a Wii system in all its 480p glory. I don't care about the Wii having the weakest graphics; the games look fun, the ideas behind the console are fun, and the thought about "what will they do next" is incredibly enticing. I base this on my initial thoughts about the DS vs. what I think about the DS now; initially, I thought the DS was dumb and would never last. Now - the DS is my favorite console because the games are fun as hell. :) I think the Wii will be the home console equivalent of the portable DS, because I think that the Wii will end up with a lot of fun games, meanwhile the competition is arguing over whose graphics are better.

25. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I'll get a PS3 sometime next year if and only if Blu-Ray becomes the HD standard and/or Sega decides to make:

a) Another Shining Force strategy RPG (i.e. an ACTUAL Shining Force game).
    b) Another Skies of Arcadia game.
    c) An actual sequel to Phantasy Star IV.

But I'm hoping to pick up a Wii in December.