1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

A windows Machine or Powermac G4 FASTER??

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by crazysaxchris, Dec 3, 2005.

1. macrumors member

crazysaxchris

I have an Emachines
    Amd Atholon 2.17 512 RAm
    DVD-rw 160GB

and

Powermac G4 Dualie 500
    512 RAM
    40Gb

And I was wondering which computer would be faster, after Christmas I will be getting a couple upgrades for my powermac.

THANK YOU

2. macrumors newbie

... for what? for EVERYthing, the PC will be faster, unless its a program that only works on macs. thats basically an xp 3000+ i think? it would be better for all around usage, gaming, and photoshop/audio work, there is nothing that the dual g4 500 would beat it in, unless like i said its apple only software.

3. macrumors 68030

risc

What is the point of this thread? You say you own both machines, can't you tell the difference?

4. macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Uhh..

The Athlon.

Is it just me or does the Athlon 64 X2 pwn the G5? o_O

5. macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

No, it's not just you. The Athlon 64 X2 truly does pwn the G5, in addition to any other cpu out there :D Just check the benchies...

6. macrumors 68030

risc

Cool give me benchmarks of both running OS X then I'll give half a toss. Does it really make a difference which CPU is faster if only one of them does what you want? :rolleyes:

7. macrumors 6502a

I'm not aware of any A64X2 vs. PPC 970MP benchmarks...

but the single core Opterons and single-core G5s are roughly equivalent, so...

8. macrumors 601

BornAgainMac

Athlons always seem to win at everything. I wish I had one to try out to see if it is that great. I wasn't that impressed running Windows on a top of the line Pentium M. I thought my Powerbook "pwned" it. Perhaps it was Windows spyware slowing it down.