A Windows question... (Effed up)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ColoJohnBoy, Jan 2, 2006.

1. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

My friend Jerry has a Dell Inspiron 8600 with Pentium M 1.20 GHz running Windows XP Professional. For whatever reason, one I can't for the life of me figure out, EVERY time he tries to open ANY application he gets this error message: "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact the system administrator."

I checked the Microsoft website (from my computer) but all they recommened is modifying the GPO by looking under 'User Configuration'. I have no freaking idea what the hell they're talking about. Is there anyone here who can help?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Perhaps try a system restore? If the GPO's are ****ed up it'll be a nightmare figuring out and finding where the problem is.

Start > Programs > Accessories > System Restore.

3. ColoJohnBoy thread starter macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

If you boot in safemode it should (I think) ask you if you want to run system restore?

5. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

Have you tried creating another user with admin privileges and login in with that user? The problem with that approach (and many others) is that you need to be admin in the first place to be able to do that, and it seems like your current user is far from being admin.

Your friend wouldn't happen to remember the admin password he typed during the Windows XP installation? If he does, I think you could login with the user Administrator and fix things up, that is, if his system is configured in a way that lets you type the user name at login (and most aren't).

If this "friend" is actually you, you can tell us;) :D

6. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

7. ColoJohnBoy thread starter macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Okay, looks like creating another account did it. The original was an admin account, but who knows why it was so screwed up. Hopefully I won't be posting in another hour with the same problem! ;)

8. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

Tey repairing Windows. Put in the XP CD(assuming you are on XP, shouldn't be too different otherwise), then restart. Right when the dell screen pops up right after it shuts down, press F12(it may also be F8, or maybe F1. F12 did it for me.) Don't hold it down. Use the arrow keys to select 'boot from CD', or something to that effect. Go through a few screens, and it should soon have an option, 'Do you want to repair Windows?' Do that instead. The rest will be somewhat like a Windows reinstall. If that doesn't work, here's to hoping you can back stuff up, because all I can think of is dumping and reinstalling.

EDIT: Ya fixed it. Congrats! I'll keep this up for someone else. We all know someone will need it.

9. ColoJohnBoy thread starter macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Oh, absolutely! I was hoping my friend had a spare two grand laying about - I'd take him the Apple store and unleash him on a shiny new iMac. :)