Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cokeboy@mac.com

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2007
The only gripe I have with the iPhone after having it for over 4 months now is that you cant assign custom message tones :(

tenmiler

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
Summit county, Co
You can. Have someone send you an MMS message, and see what happens.

Yes, please, I LOVE "viewmymessage.com", a brilliant AT&T invention: Intuitive, easy to view, and useful. Let's keep it!

I pretty much agree with all the 'wants' here, as they are all pretty basic.

I'm surprised at the lack of mention for VOICE DIALING. This phone is nearly impossible to use with fat fingers and no ability for tactile feedback on the buttons. This phone WILL cause accidents. (yeah, spare me the lecture, you know you use it in the car)

But overall, I don't want to be over 6 months out of a product introduction and only having TWO dot dot releases. The release cycle absolutely stinks.

mikeyg00

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2008
Seems to me it should be obvious that, containing a microphone, operating system, and storage, the true KILLER APP for the iPhone would be DICTATION SOFTWARE. This of course, in addition to permitting the needed voice dialing, would let a user dictate an outgoing Email, the text of which could later be retrieved on a home computer or laptop, then to be filed, printed, whatever.

Now THAT would truly set the iPhone apart from all the other "advanced" cell phones, no?

Al Feldzamen

Why hasn't voice recognition become more prevalent in general society? They've had it built into word processing software for a long time now, but I rarely see it used.

I had Dragon Naturally Speaking back nearly 10 years ago, and it was pretty accurate.

I have it in my car, and it works reasonably well, but I have to click something with my hand to activate it, then say the command, and for common functions, this takes longer than it would for me to do so manually.

I agree, that would be a killer app ... I'm thinking of canning my 8525 to get an iPhone, just for more convenient calling options (my 8525 has voice dial, but I need to pull out the stylus, click start, Voice Dial, and then speak the name. Not exactly quick.)

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
I want

Actually, I'm extremely pleased with my iPhone BUT if I did have to select an area for improvement it would be a speedier alternative to EDGE ;)

kevinjames

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
What the IPhone needs!

The headphone/input jack needs to be universal for all headphones and all accessories (especially apple) like the bose system, ipod jacks etc.

This phone needs to be able to send and receive picture messages without having to go to the att picture page. The current system makes me feel like im using prodigy again.

The camera should be able to zoom.

Some speed would be nice. Get rid of edge.

but it's still the best phone out there...just make it perfect now!

kevin

thegman1234

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2007
Long Island
...The camera should be able to zoom....

All a zoom feature does on a cell phone camera is enlarge the image. It's digital not optical zoom, so all it really does is enlarge and pixellate the image. I understand where zoom could come in handy, but really it's nothing more than what you can already do with pinching.

tady

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
Spare a thought...

What do I want most from the iPhone this year? FOR IT TO COME TO CANADA

Spare a thought for us here in Europe, especially Ireland... We have one of the highest numbers of phones per capita in Europe (2:1) and yet still no sign of the iPhone. The primary reason is there's no 3G support and there's few networks over here that are willing to or can cater to the current requirements of the iPhone...

That's my main disappointment of today's Keynote, no hardware upgrade to help promote the iPhone throughout the rest of Europe... actually screw Europe, I want it in Ireland... I'm reliably informed (by a blonde lady who's not smarter than a 10 year old) that they all speak French. Thank God I speak Irish... and French. And Danish. And Italian. And Islandic. And Montenegrin. Oh yeah, and English...

I gotta stop watching Family Guy... :eek:

rcossebo

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
My iPhone Wish

Being a newbie to the forum as well as the the "new" generation of Apple, I would like to have an iPhone that is 3G, GPS, 32GB, in addition to all the great things it already has.
I think with the 3G, GPS and 32GB the phone would be the single most effective business tool and toy for everyone on the go. Plenty of room for tunes and vids as well as numbers and addresses! GPS for accurate location of sights in other towns when on business trips or vacations; and in case one is lost in the mountains while skiing or hiking, being able to be located by the rescue team.
Just my wants before I spring for an iPhone; currently I have a BlackBerry 8800 and a 16GB iPod touch; still wishing for an "all-in-one" instrument that will complete me! :D Ron

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
All a zoom feature does on a cell phone camera is enlarge the image. It's digital not optical zoom, so all it really does is enlarge and pixellate the image. I understand where zoom could come in handy, but really it's nothing more than what you can already do with pinching.

Actually, several phones have cameras with optical zoom as well at this point. And liquid lenses can offer autofocus and optical zoom while being ultra compact and very energy efficient, so I suspect it's going to become increasingly standard along with higher resolution on phone cams.

applemax369

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
My wants...

First let me say I love my phone. The visual voicemail is absolutely amazing--very, very useful--no more dialing up and pressing every number combination to get my messages. Awesome. Google maps has been incredible and the new drop pin and locate me feature is exactly what I needed. The size is great, love the look and feel of the device.

Now for the wishes...

Cut and Paste: Selection features--double tap a word to select the whole word, 1.5 taps, then drag to select multiple words, two finger tap to bring up Edit menu bubble, select function for selected text.

Email: Unbelievable to me that you can have multiple email accounts on the iPhone but only ONE signature? I have work and personal on mine and need the accounts to have separate signatures. At first I thought this was an oversight. But a few updates later and no fix for this. I'm completely baffled by this.

Search: I miss the ability to search. Sometimes I need to call someone, but can only remember the company, not the sales rep's name. Would really help if I could search for the company.

Calendar: I miss the colored group views of iCal and being able to view the calendars I want to view (ie work or personal or Colts season schedule at a glance)

Exchange support: Right now I use Synchronica service but it doesn't add calendar invites. This would be extremely helpful. What is taking Apple so long to incorporate this? I'm not talking about the IMAP. I want native Exchange support!

Alarm: I really don't like the scrolling wheel to select a number--give me the option to use a number pad please.

Alerts: Why am I limited to the reminder alert times iPhone gives me. Why can't I enter a custom reminder alert time?

Speakerphone and microphone sucks: Everyone complains when I use it. Hardware or software issue?

Bluetooth headset: I'm not sure if this is a Jawbone issue or an iPhone issue, but when I receive a call and don't want to use my Jawbone, I click the audio select button and select iPhone, but it will click over in a few seconds back to the Jawbone. This happens twice before the iPhone finally stays on iPhone and not on Jawbone. Very annoying.

Home: I would LOVE if half the home screen was dedicated to showing me a list view of my activities/appointments for the day just like my Palm Treo did on its main screen.

iPod: I wish I could tap and hold on a song (then it blinks) to add it to my On-the-go playlist just like other iPods do.

Calculator: I really, really, miss the multiple calculators that were available on my Treo. I had a financial, weights and measures, and a conversion calculator. I miss this. Seems very easy to incorporate.

Database program: Would love to see Filemaker Mobile on the iPhone.

To do list: I loved my Treo To Do list. I need one badly.

Syncing: Slight annoyance--If I put a new video in iTunes, I can't check it to sync to my iPhone until I connect and Sync the iPhone first, then sync again after the available option to check the video to sync it. Follow?

Games: I'm no game junky, but a couple of games would be nice, Solitaire, Mastermind. What about a racing game where you hold the iPhone like a steering wheel and utilize the accelerometer to steer. That would be cool.

External flash drive: Would like to use my iPhone as a flash drive to carry some files.

Safari: Flash support.

I think that's all for now. It seems to me that Apple is busy paving a new road with very innovative stuff, but some of us rely on simple applications we've been using forever that Apple has overlooked.

rcossebo

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
WOW! is all I can say! I like your thinking!

I like your thinking and trust the people at iPhone programming and marketing do too! Ron

First let me say I love my phone. The visual voicemail is absolutely amazing--very, very useful--no more dialing up and pressing every number combination to get my messages. Awesome. Google maps has been incredible and the new drop pin and locate me feature is exactly what I needed. The size is great, love the look and feel of the device.

Now for the wishes...

Cut and Paste: Selection features--double tap a word to select the whole word, 1.5 taps, then drag to select multiple words, two finger tap to bring up Edit menu bubble, select function for selected text.

Email: Unbelievable to me that you can have multiple email accounts on the iPhone but only ONE signature? I have work and personal on mine and need the accounts to have separate signatures. At first I thought this was an oversight. But a few updates later and no fix for this. I'm completely baffled by this.

Search: I miss the ability to search. Sometimes I need to call someone, but can only remember the company, not the sales rep's name. Would really help if I could search for the company.

Calendar: I miss the colored group views of iCal and being able to view the calendars I want to view (ie work or personal or Colts season schedule at a glance)

Exchange support: Right now I use Synchronica service but it doesn't add calendar invites. This would be extremely helpful. What is taking Apple so long to incorporate this? I'm not talking about the IMAP. I want native Exchange support!

Alarm: I really don't like the scrolling wheel to select a number--give me the option to use a number pad please.

Alerts: Why am I limited to the reminder alert times iPhone gives me. Why can't I enter a custom reminder alert time?

Speakerphone and microphone sucks: Everyone complains when I use it. Hardware or software issue?

Bluetooth headset: I'm not sure if this is a Jawbone issue or an iPhone issue, but when I receive a call and don't want to use my Jawbone, I click the audio select button and select iPhone, but it will click over in a few seconds back to the Jawbone. This happens twice before the iPhone finally stays on iPhone and not on Jawbone. Very annoying.

Home: I would LOVE if half the home screen was dedicated to showing me a list view of my activities/appointments for the day just like my Palm Treo did on its main screen.

iPod: I wish I could tap and hold on a song (then it blinks) to add it to my On-the-go playlist just like other iPods do.

Calculator: I really, really, miss the multiple calculators that were available on my Treo. I had a financial, weights and measures, and a conversion calculator. I miss this. Seems very easy to incorporate.

Database program: Would love to see Filemaker Mobile on the iPhone.

To do list: I loved my Treo To Do list. I need one badly.

Syncing: Slight annoyance--If I put a new video in iTunes, I can't check it to sync to my iPhone until I connect and Sync the iPhone first, then sync again after the available option to check the video to sync it. Follow?

Games: I'm no game junky, but a couple of games would be nice, Solitaire, Mastermind. What about a racing game where you hold the iPhone like a steering wheel and utilize the accelerometer to steer. That would be cool.

External flash drive: Would like to use my iPhone as a flash drive to carry some files.

Safari: Flash support.

I think that's all for now. It seems to me that Apple is busy paving a new road with very innovative stuff, but some of us rely on simple applications we've been using forever that Apple has overlooked.

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA

The interface for adding songs is different, since you have to go to the On-the-Go playlist and hit the plus button to add songs, but that seems faster to me than tap and hold. I assume your reasoning is to be able to add songs while they're playing or you're browsing another playlist, in addition to the current method?

This is somewhat simplified in 1.1.3, since you can now drag and drop music/videos to the iPhone for syncing instead of having to use the playlist/movie/show options.

warmseth

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2007
Los Angeles
I have three, and they seem sooooo simple.

1) Copy and Paste. It's just crazy-making to have useful data, like a phone number, e-mail address, or a reservation number in one part of the phone, and not be able to move it to another. It's the most-limiting aspect of the device, for me. If I want to copy a number from, say, an e-mail to a calendar event, I need to write it down, and re-enter it... copy&paste is one of the fundamental functions of a device, IMHO.

2) I want voice mail to play through my BT headset. It's ridiculous to have to hold the handset to my head to listen to voice mail, when the headset is live.

3) Address Book Search - finding anything in the address book is just frustrating beyond belief. It took me 15 minutes the other day to find someone in my own address book. I tried it on my old Treo when I got home - 2 seconds, including typing in the name... A similar aspect is 'Global Search' - the ability to search for a word anywhere in the iPhone, whether it's an event, note, e-mail, or whatever.

Finally, it's not one of my big wishes, because it doesn't happen much, but the current system for handling MMS messages, which requires me to go to a website, and enter two random-alphanumeric strings to see my message, is equally nutty, and made doubly bad by the lack of copy&paste. I get an MMS about once a quarter, but it absolutely shatters the sense of 'ease-of-use' that the iPhone is supposed to create. Can't imagine what regular MMS'ers feel like.

add flash support and that is my list exactly..and has been since day 1!

lilsteviebaumer

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2008
I know it's a little item but the lack of album shuffle on an unhacked iPhone bugs me. Sure, there are bigger issues. Apparently the option exists in the configuration file but there is no way to get to it unless you have a hacked iPhone. My old nano does album shuffle!

(In my searches on the subject, some people seem really confused about what album shuffle means. The nano, and I believe iTunes and other iPods, have an option to play songs within an album in order but to go to a random album when the album completes. Shuffling all your songs at random does work on the iPhone.)

It should be a simple software fix to expose this setting. If this happens or not is a different question.

This is something that Apple seems to do since the introduction of OS X. Remove small useful features quietly.

I believe they are doing it to "simplify" the design or use of a product. Problem is, people really like some of these features. Like album shuffle is great! I didn't know til just now that they removed that.

Also, why did apple cripple the calendar app for iphone??? It is about time they added functionality into that app. Why does it not sync up and handle multiple calendars better? Why not sync the colors of calendars from iCal? Why no WEEK VIEW!!!???

This is very annoying and it seems that it takes one of 2 things to prod apple into adding these features back in:

1. enough time goes by, and enough customers complain that they re-release these features and tout them as "new features" at a much later date. (ie: Labels in OS X)

or

2. Third party developers make workarounds, Apple sees their popularity and responds by adding them back in. This route may be quicker than customer feedback alone.

How is this for a request for apple: MAKE THE NIKE SPORTS KIT WORK WITH IPHONE! I don't care what fanboys have to say in defense of Apple on this one. This is clearly just creating a market for people to need to own 2 different ipod devices. Disgusting market creation by deliberately crippling certain features on their products to create tiers. Just like when they initially had the calendar app on the iPod Touch able to read events, but not create them. Yeah that makes a lot of sense.

thegman1234

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2007
Long Island
Actually, several phones have cameras with optical zoom as well at this point. And liquid lenses can offer autofocus and optical zoom while being ultra compact and very energy efficient, so I suspect it's going to become increasingly standard along with higher resolution on phone cams.

Really? That I was unaware of. That's pretty interesting, and pretty cool. However, this camera obviously isn't built like that, so if they added zoom all it would be was digital.

...Games: I'm no game junky, but a couple of games would be nice, Solitaire, Mastermind. What about a racing game where you hold the iPhone like a steering wheel and utilize the accelerometer to steer. That would be cool....

That is by probably by far the coolest suggestion for the iPhone, that I have ever heard. If you're having syncing troubles, use manual sync, I swear by it. It may take longer, but it's the best.

jsetliffe

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2007
Wishes

Wishes for me would be:

1) 3G
2) Copy/Paste
3) Search functionality for addy book
4) Better integration with Exchange, especially the calender part
5) With baseball season right around the corner, support for Slingbox.

dsl4c

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2007
Portland, OR
I would love a "cancel" button while sending an SMS, sometimes auto correct makes mistakes and hate looking like an idiot when sending an incorrect message, then having to sending another message to correct the auto correct..

infamous

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
Los Angeles
wish we could press the home button to take a shot... i always move the phone/cam just a tad every time i try to take a pic of myself somewhere.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
I just got and iphone, when earlier I'd said I'd wait. But I love it. I miss MMS a little bit and I'm a little annoyed that I can't plug in my own headphones into it.

But over all its a terrific gadget. I can't wait until there is installable apps for it.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I've been close to buying one a bazillion times since they dropped to $399, but since it's missing a few things I *need*, I have waited:

3G: People knock EDGE as if it's the worst thing ever. I live outside Atlanta, and once I move farther east, I won't live in the 3G coverage area. Therefore, kudos to Apple for understanding the benefit of coverage area AND battery life. Alas, the 3G option is a must. It will obviously keep spreading, especially if the No. 2 smartphone picks it up (as have a lot of other phones recently).

More flash: I'd like to think I could survive with 16GB, but I barely get by on the 30GB iPod. I like to chuck all my music on the sucker, which takes up 13GB. I can deal with swapping video & photos on and off since I don't use them as much. With the ever-dropping price of flash, give us 32GB! I might even pay $499 for that (plus, does anybody really believe a 16GB of flash costs $100 more than 8GB right now, as the iPod Touch makes us think?).

Expansion slot: I don't care what the format is, but add a memory expansion slot. My first MP3 player had one back in the day of MMC. I know you can buy 8GB SD cards, and they will keep getting larger. Maybe it won't be as fast, but slower extra storage is better than none.

GPS: Would be nice, but not necessary. If Magellan, Garmin, or someone were to come out with an accessory that does this, that may be better than embedding it.

Call quality: I've read in a lot of reviews that the call quality isn't too great. It had better at least be as good as the Motorola RAZR V3 (the one that was da bomb about 4 years ago). I'm replacing a newer RAZR with the iPhone, so I don't want to downgrade in call quality. On the same note, a better vibrating mode than what I have read about.

Voice dial: The RAZR I have has smart voice dial. I don't have to train it like I did the older one. Once again, I don't want to really downgrade any! Luckily, this could be a software update at some point.

Cut and paste: Everybody else says it, so I'm adding it.

Bluetooth stereo: Ditto

Flash: Duh. Add in other popular Web plug-ins.

Ability to read DVD-quality video: Who else hates ripping DVDs with Handbrake in less-than-DVD quality? I know it saves space, but I'd love the option of the full 720x480 rez from a DVD so the picture isn't as bad when I watch it on my computer. (I'll save my "play 1920x1080" request for a year or two in the future!).
If not this, have iTunes convert full-DVD-quality videos for iPod/iPhone like it does with massive photos. One reason I don't buy movies from iTunes is they're not DVD quality.

A normal headphone jack: If the iPod Touch can do it, the iPhone can do it

Blu-ray Disc drive: Sorry, forgot this wasn't the MacBook forum. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.