Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bern

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
I'm not a big Word user and I never use Excel. The most I would use Word for is perhaps the odd letter, invoices, quotes and for storing pages for web design (using DW8).

I would like to give Office the flick from my Mac and be completely M$ free once and for all so I'm considering iWork.

Now a year down the track I'm interested to hear the comments of people who may have "replaced" Word on their Macs with Pages and how the user experience has been so far.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
I've been playing with the trial version of iWork that came with my purchase of iLife '06...and i have to say i am pleasantly surprised with it.

I haven't touched Keynote yet, and don't think i would really need it...but Pages seems like a wonderful little word processing application. It can open and export to Word files, and it seems very promising.

I'd like to hear others opinions also, since i have only used it very lightly.

Verto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2005
Denton, TX
I haven't used Pages for anything other than writing plain college papers (ie, no graphs and charts etc embedded in it) and have had little problem with sending the .doc file to my Office-using prof.

kiwi-in-uk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2004
AU
Pages is like a hybrid word processor and publisher.

For the things you want to do it is a snip, and there are even some simple templates for letters, invoices and quotes. Pages handles embedded graphics much better than Word, and lacks Word's complexity (the complexity can be a bad thing).

That said, before you start using more complex templates it is essential to understand how they are set up and how they work (as I discovered at the cost of several "wasted" hours), and Pages lacks Word's flexibility (the flexibility can be a good thing).

I have not yet replaced Word with Pages, but do use it for 80% of my work.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Pages is more of a substitute for Publisher than Word and I happily use both.

But if you're looking for a simple word processor, there are plenty of good alternatives to Word available. Starting with TextEdit (!), Mellel, to the more heavy weight NeoOffice and OpenOffice.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
munkle said:
Pages is more of a substitute for Publisher than Word and I happily use both.

But if you're looking for a simple word processor, there are plenty of good alternatives to Word available. Starting with TextEdit (!), Mellel, to the more heavy weight NeoOffice and OpenOffice.
Another surprisingly good, bare bones word app is AbiWord http://www.abiword.com/ I've liked the simplicity of Mellel, too though it's shareware. I use Keynote bundled with Pages in iWork, but am not impressed. I won't purchase iWork '06 because of it.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Pages isn't meant to replace Word. Pages focusses on ease and style, while Word focusses on options, power and (in my view) arbitrary random frustration :D

Which is one is right for you is a personal choice. Many people need Word's advanced power. Or will simply be used to it and not want to think about a new way of doing things. Many will appreciate Pages however, and be glad never to see Word again.

My own choice: TextEdit :) It reads and writes Word docs just fine for my needs, and it's simple. Plus the price is right. (I do like AppleWorks OK, but I just never seem to need it.)

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
kiwi-in-uk said:
That said, before you start using more complex templates it is essential to understand how they are set up and how they work (as I discovered at the cost of several "wasted" hours), and Pages lacks Word's flexibility (the flexibility can be a good thing).

I have not yet replaced Word with Pages, but do use it for 80% of my work.

i am interested in the word "flexibility". could you maybe elaborate?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.