Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last week, a wiring schematic said to be for the iPhone 6 was initially interpreted to be referring to the device's RAM, showing the same 1 GB of memory for the A8 as found in the current A7 chip. That was quickly determined to be an incorrect interpretation of component being shown in the schematic, however, and Apple's plans for RAM in the iPhone 6 have remained uncertain.

A new photo leak from Feld & Volk [Instagram page] and Sonny Dickson showing an assembled logic board from the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 has revealed a number of pieces of information already, and it appears from one of the photos that the A8 chip on the board does indeed include 1 GB of LPDDR3 RAM.

iphone_6_a8_ram.jpg
As pointed out by MacRumors forum member commander.data, a silk-screened part number on the A8 reveals that the package-on-package contains Hynix RAM. Based on Hynix's part number format, the character in the eighth position reveals the amount of RAM in the package, with an "8" denoting 8 Gb (1 GB) and a "B" denoting 16 Gb (2 GB). While it is a bit difficult to read the part number clearly given the distance and angle in the photo, our staff and several posters in our forum agree that the character very much appears to be an "8", indicating 1 GB of RAM.

Article Link: A8 Chip From 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Appears to Carry 1 GB of RAM

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
That's highly disappointing, but maybe iOS 8 will introduce some of Mavericks memory compression technology.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I'm sure there could be a nice spin on this:

"Enjoy the same, familiar one gigabyte of RAM experience that you've grown to love!"
"One gigabyte of RAM per screen—just the way it was meant to be."
"Get to the heart of your content more directly without all of that pesky, quickly accessed memory."

Last edited:

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
As disappointed as I am, it's important to note that the iPhone operates fine on 1 GB. It's really the iPad that needs more for safari. But I agree, this will hold the iPhone back from becoming more than it is currently. Software can only be so advanced when running with limited RAM.

If Apple keeps being stingy on RAM, it would be really nice if virtual memory was added to iOS.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
1GB of RAM on an iPhone is no issue. On an iPad, it's an issue.

Luckily, I only have the iPhone so this doesn't bother me!

Crossmax

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
Can't give customers 2 GB ram, cause the incremental cost of that extra GB of ram would ruin the margins, and shareholders would not be happy.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
How many people run into RAM issues with their phone? I have no issues with my 5s but my iPad Air is another story. That's what needs more RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.