Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by biohazard6969, Apr 28, 2005.

1. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

Feb 23, 2005
    toronto canada
    AAAAAAAHHHH, i dropped my powerbook again!!!!!!! its sooooooooooooooo dented now......but i actually managed to hammer (yes hammer) out a couple of the hideous dents, only to have the nice aluminum stained black with just goes to show, a soft case will never do.

thusly, i have 2 questions to ask

1. what is a good recomendation on a hard case for a powerbook 12"?

2. why is it that everytime i drop my powerbook, the airport card gets dislodged? the first time i did this i had to take it in, i don't know how to open up my powerbook, and this time i tried to open it up, i took out all of the screws but i still couldn't do it, and i got scared of forcing it open so i'm just gonna take it into an apple repair place i know of.
  2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    you never hammer metal on metal! always need a buffer between the two!!

there is a case/sleeve thread so might want to look their for a case

check out if you want to look at getting a new shell for your book compared to apple's price

isnt the airport card in the battery bay?! or did the move it? :confused:
  3. eleveneastgate macrumors 6502

Jan 23, 2005
    Sorry to hear about that... Good Luck on the repairs!

RE: CASE

Maybe try a sleeve from Booq.

4. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

May 8, 2004
    I Live Where I Live
    maybe you should put some grip on it.... or a bag to carry it in...
  5. biohazard6969 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Feb 23, 2005
    toronto canada
    well if it was anywhere near the battery bay then it would be toast, the batery took the brunt of the damage, the metal was all twisted, and yes i'm an idiot, ALWAYS a buffer!!! grrrrrr!! :mad: ok, and the whole reason why this happedned was because i have this crappy soft case for it, i want something like a metal briefcase. is there anything made specially for PB 12"?
  6. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
  7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004

check out that company, expensive but quality from everything i have heard of and seen. and yes a buffer always is needed for metal on metal for example car shops regularly use pieces of wood to pop out small dents because its flat but can take the impact of the hammer without damaging the car body
  8. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Jan 23, 2005
    You can get an actual padded bag where you can put your powerbook in and also some papers, mp3 player, and other stuff.

They run about $20-$120...
  9. sjpetry macrumors 65816

Oct 28, 2004
    Tamarindo, Costa Rica
  10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    I know the feeling and have the EXACT same problem.

I suspect that I might have even damaged the power connector because I have a hard time charging without putting a book or something on the plug.

Dropped it twice :(

Anyone know where I can get it repaired or replace the case?
  11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    pbfixit has guides and parts if you want to fix it yourself, or you could take it into apple to have them fix it for you but im sure that would cost some $$$
  12. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004
    I guess there's something to be said about bulky, heavy, plastic laptops. They may be ugly and burdensome, but damage is less likely.

Good luck, I would suggest a MacTruck if you need something minimalist.

But taking extra measures for the care of your laptop will always be the best protection, regardless of case.
  13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    ive heard of worse from the plastic on the bigger laptops, i think the best cases come on the iBooks really, those things are durable!!!
  14. ravenvii macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    Heh heh... A PowerBook gets the worse damage from a 2 feet drop - padded case and all - than a ThinkPad is damaged after surviving a fire.

Nah, maybe not THAT true, but I like the sound of it anyway :D
  15. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Yep, Apple told me it could cost up to $700 depending on how much damage there is. I could get a refurb iBook with better specs than my current PB for that much.

All I really want is it fixed enough that I can charge it, I don't mind blemishes :(
  16. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

Apr 19, 2004
    Sydney Australia
    Sorry Mate

Sorry to hear that you have dropped your PB. :( Even though it is cosmetically challenged at the moment, does it still work or is it making noises? If it's ok, and if I was in your position, I'd keep it - 'post trauma'.

How old is the PowerBook? - Will you be buying another one, lets say within the next year or so? If you are - hold onto your bucks and just turn it into a desktop when you buy the new one. Don't get me wrong - I would be extremely upset if it happend to my 15' (touch wood it doesn't).

Just remember, a beaten up PowerBook can be something to brag about. Think of the dent's as battlescars. You can really show off the fact that PowerBooks are tough and can take some abuse!!!

17. SteveC macrumors 6502

Jul 7, 2003
    Dude... stop dropping your PowerBook. :p lol

Sorry to be over-simplistic. ;) Seems like a good way to prevent these problems though. :p
  18. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Jan 26, 2005
    yeah, it'd be a good idea not to drop it anymore.
  19. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    An iBook is a good hard case version of the PowerBook 12.

Sometimes durability is a better choice over a couple extra MHz or features.

You seem to need durability a bit more than beauty.
  20. hayduke macrumors 65816

Mar 8, 2005
    is a state of mind.
  21. mduser63 macrumors 68040

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City, UT
    You know, the Airport card on a 12" Powerbook is easily accessible. Just take the battery out, and there's a little door that folds open, and right behind it is the airport card. If the only problem is that it's been knocked loose, you can fix it yourself very easily.
  22. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

Nov 21, 2004
    Washington, D.C.
    Is thusly a word? I've got to use that some time.

I am SO sorry about your Powerbook... that like.. sucks. I would have actually used one of those things that takes the dents out of cars. I have a feeling a hammer on a Powerbook is not the greatest idea.... better not tell them that at the Apple Store - it might void your warranty.
  23. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

Dec 19, 2004
    You can fix those dents with Bondo® and primer. Make it a sweet ghetto rig. :D
  24. britboy macrumors 68030

Nov 4, 2001
    Kent, UK
    I feel your pain biohazard. About 3 years ago I dropped my tibook (original 500mhz version) from about 1 1/2 feet up. Cracked the case around the power supply socket :(

A replacement case would have cost too much, so I just put up with it. It was still a bloody good laptop. Just sold it on ebay for £350, so it can't have done too bad!
  25. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Dec 12, 2002
    Mine's in not-so-great shape, either.

My poor 12"er has been dropped (in a soft case) twice. The first time dented the right-front corner (making the battery stick a little; it's hard to get in or out now,) the second time dented the LEFT-front corner. Ironically, where the front right is dented in, the front left is tended out.

I haven't gotten around to trying to repair the dents yet, mostly becuase the PowerBook WORKS just fine.