Aaaaagh!! I Need A Job!!!

Discussion in 'Community' started by ColoJohnBoy, Sep 30, 2003.

1. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Okay, I'm getting desperate here. I've been out of work for about six months now. I have applied for at least five jobs a week since then, following up on the phone and in person for every single one. I've had a few interviews, but usually I'm told to just be patient, and they'll get back to me when they can. They never do. I've eaten through nearly all my savings (which aren't very significant, considering I'm only 20) and am desperate. I've applied everywhere, even the lowliest of fast food restaurants.

This is frustrating, annoying, and disheartening. I have good references at all my past employers, no criminal record or anything, and have a great academic record. I'm even bilingual (English/Spanish). NOBODY WILL HIRE ME!!!

Does anybody here own a business in the Denver area or one that would enable me to stay around here and work? I'll do anything..... well, anything legal. HELP!!!

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

3. ColoJohnBoy thread starter macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

LOL - Well, I have considered it. But three things are preventing me:

1) I refuse to join the Army when I would likely be deployed in a conflict that I 'conscientiously object' to, as I consider it unjust and illegal.

2) My father, who is currently serving in the Army Reserves as an interrogator in the 301st Armored Cavalry at Al Assad Air Force Base just outside of Baghdad, forbids me from joining. Ever. Voluntarily or through he draft; it doesn't matter. He forbids it.

3) I am gay. Openly. I am gay.

Thanks for the suggestion, but it simply isn't an option.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

it was tongue in cheek. i've seen your posts in the political forums and figured it wasn't really something you'd want to do.

but for everyone else -- it's biting sarcasm! the only growth industry, it seems, is the war industry.

how long 'til this thread gets moved, i wonder? :)

5. gello2424 macrumors member

If all else fails man go get a server or bartender job. I have a friend that owns a night club and I will go bartend there for some extra cash and I don't need it.

It might not be something you want to do but from what I have seen it is one of the best ways to make some fast cash.......well besides drugs and crap like that.

Hell as we speak I am putting in a few apps to try to pick up a few days a week at some of the local places to eat. I am here in So Cal. so I know I can make about 2 grand a month not even trying in the right spot.

Just a thought to hold you over till you get that job you want.
    Also not to be rude at all I find that some of the best servers and bartenders are gay so that is where a lot of my gay friends work and they are here living in Laguana Beach and Newport which is not cheap and the are servers!!

Hope everything works out man.

6. ColoJohnBoy thread starter macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

LOL - Sorry zimv - I just got back from an Aerosmith/Kiss concert and my brain's a bit fried. I didn't realize you were joking in your post :p Thanks though.

To Arn or Moderator: No need to move this thread! :D:D:D:D

7. ColoJohnBoy thread starter macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Bleah. Thanks Gello - yeah, I've been looking into bartending and server jobs - I wouldn't mind doing either at all - the only caveat is that most bartending jobs around here require experience of some sort. I'm thinking of going to one of this little bartending colleges - they have job placement services, so that would be ideal. And no worries about the gay stuff and whatever. :D

8. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

I know the feeling, i havent had a real job in 6 months either. I'd do the army but being legally blind i am screwed over there. ITs not the time to be young and unemployed.

9. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Man if this is the job market I am soon to enter I dont know how I'll ever be able to find a job @ 16 :(

And I too am somewhat bilingual :eek:

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

holy cow, why is everyone having such a hard time finding a job?

11. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

I really feel for you. My father has been out of work for 3 years!!!!! It's such a miserable economic environment here.

Vote democratic, that's all I can say.

Good luck finding a job.

12. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

The landscaping industry has been very strong this year. Finding good employees has been difficult for a number of businesses I have talked to. The problem is that no one wants to work "that hard" for a living. It's a rewarding career if you are willing to commit to it.

Not to turn this into a political thread, but did anyone beside me notice jobs starting to get tighter before Bush was elected...

13. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Pizza delivery? Careful you don't get jacked up.

14. ColoJohnBoy thread starter macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

I actually wouldn't mind relocating to somewhere else, except I'm enrolled in school here, and I just signed a lease on an apartment. I'm definitely considering it though.

I've looked into landscaping jobs, and would actually LOVE to do that - my dad ocassionally does landscape architecture on the side (His regular job is with the Department of Commerce) and I'm always helping him out with that when he does it. The problem around here is that most landscaping companies aren't hiring!

The Denver area is kind of weird like that. We were one of the areas hardest hit by the tech job loss, and are taking much longer to recover (in all aspects) than any other area in the country. It's seemed to affect everything around here. Oh well, I'll keep looking.........

15. crazytom macrumors 6502a

crazytom

Isn't it true that Denver was in a drought last year and most of this year? That keeps (some) landscaping jobs down to a minimum: people can't water their lawns/run their pond or whatever.

Isn't there a FedEx or something around there? I know around here, they hire package handlers for a pretty good wage (no benefits). There's usually a lot of turnover in assembly line type work...if you really need cash check anyplace around you that does that type of stuff.

16. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I guess I should be glad I'll be in school for eons of geological time. :D

17. kevin49093 macrumors regular

Where in Denver are you?

I'm in the Arvada area myself. If you can work with kids you should look into the public school systems. DPS always seems to be hiring paraprofessionals. (Teacher Aids) SOme schools pay a pretty good wage as well. I've seen some parapro tech. jobs at something like $12/hour. It's great if you bartend or wait tables at night as well.

I am teaching right now, and am actually leaving my restaurant job in about a week. I know they are always looking for good, dependable people.

18. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

I am always hiring.. You can stay in denver.

email me and we can work something out.

- Doc

19. ColoJohnBoy thread starter macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

I live right by DU, near University and Harvard. I'll look into DPS - I hadn't thought of that. It would probably be good as I speak Spanish and major in English. I'll also check into FedEx. I applied at UPS, but nothing came of it.

Yeah, Denver's been in a pretty sever drought for about four years now. It's getting better bit by bit, but will probably continue for a year or two more.

20. kevin49093 macrumors regular

Yeah, if you speak Spanish you are as good as in in some areas. Their website lists all open positions.
    http://hr.dpsk12.org/
    They might require 60 hours of college...

21. kevin49093 macrumors regular

What skills are you looking to hire?
    I'm always willing to pick up a few hours here and there.

22. ColoJohnBoy thread starter macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Hmmm... I just checked on the job requirements for parapros in DPS and they all require an Associate's or 60 semester hours - I only have 45 and will only have 58 after this semester. Ain't that a bitch.

23. ColoJohnBoy thread starter macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Bah. Apparently I have applied at FedEx. I just went to submit an application on their website and it said I applied for it several weeks ago. Ugh. I've applied so many places I don't even remember where I've applied.

24. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

there should be a word for that.