aaaaargh!!! - those f***in' ringtones!!!

Discussion in 'Community' started by vollspacken, May 26, 2004.

1. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

AAARRRRGHHHH!

I can't stand it anymore. over here in Germany, if you turn on the TV and you try to relax, all you see and hear!!! (besides the crappy program) are highly annoying mobile-phone advertisments for even more annoying ringtones, background images, and games..!

can someone shoot the people that come up with these ads??? can someone strangulate the obnoxious girls that are screaming into the microphone??? can someone stop them??? can someone beat sense into the stupid kids that seem to enjoy being ripped-off by those companies??? aaaaaarghhhh :mad: :mad: :mad:

it's not enough that my fellow Germans use to call mobiles "Handys"... by now these ads are everywhere (well exept public TV and the stations that show stripping/completly naked women all night [only interupted by phonesex-ads with equally naked girls...])
    I know that the industry makes more money with this mobile poo than with CDs, but c'mon!, enough is enough!!!

[/end rant]

2. iGav macrumors G3

you know you secretly love em'... :eek: heheheh

have you noticed, the ad's are always really low budget as well... :p well they are over here, and all the ring tones they advertise here, I swear they sound exactly like some old doofer was playing them on his accordian! :eek: :p :p

shouldn't this be in the music section?? hahahahaha

P.S. Germans used to call them handys.... quality! hahahahahahaha :p

3. vollspacken thread starter macrumors 65816

vollspacken

:D *lol*

Jeez, you can't imagine how much I hate that... ;)

vSpacken

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I can't stand it anymore. Over here in my web browser, if you click thru the threads and you try to relax, you see a loud shouting complaint about mobile-phone advertisments! It's got huge type, bold, italics, swearing, and a few (non-)smilies. At least it wasn't all caps.

vollspacken, your post hurt my ears! :(

5. King Cobra macrumors 603

I'd rather shoot you about 50 times, only because it's a lot easier.

Cell phone ads are becoming highly abundant, and I predict that with the PDA/small cell phone trend that hasn't died down much recently (if at all), they're only going to drive you further up a wall. I recommend going after anyone that triggers your #2 pet peeve and make that your central focus. That way, your focus on your #1 pet peeve dies off a bit in intensity.

Doctor Q, I have never gotten any ads with sound with Mozilla (or Safari), as far as I can remember. What browser are you using? - And, do you like the browser you're using?

6. Crikey macrumors 6502

I'd sit through a few ring-tone ads for that.

Wow. If I lived in Germany, I'd consider buying a TV!

Nothing that interesting on American TV, so I don't have a television.

Well, maybe I'd watch once. After that, I'd spend all my evenings swing and tango dancing, like I do now. Real women are more interesting than TV ones.

Cheers,

Crikey

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I didn't really hear anything. I was teasing vollspacken for "shouting" at us to complain about noise.

I use Safari/Mail on my newest Mac, except when I'm doing browser experiments. I like OmniWeb too. I still use Netscape/Messenger on my older Macs. And my PC at work has no speakers at all, just the way I like it!

And I hereby state for the record that I don't like web pages that start playing jingles as soon as you arrive.

8. takao macrumors 68040

takao

couldn't agree more...3 years ago i thought those sex hotline ads were the most annoying thing on tv ...but i was proven wrong...
    and now those "color background for your handy" ads start up arghhhhhhh... please god make it stop....german tv is already bad enough.....

9. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

Here in the U.S., we only really have ads like that run by the cell carriers, not by third parties.

I have a normal phone ringer on my cell phone, which has a black and white screen, so no background images. I like it like this; I actually sold my LG VX-6000 camera phone and bought the Motorola V60 I have now.

10. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Well, i don't know about ring tone ads, but The statement can be made about crappy ads in general. Sometimes I wonder you thinks up these ads. Some will say "there is not such thing as negative publicity" but I know I stray away from certain brands due to their extremly annoying ads.

As for Ringtones, I love them. esp now that they have mp3 ones.

f i f t y c e n t n s n double o p

11. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Damn right, that is the same policy I adhere to ... as did many of the people who saw the Pepsi/iTunes tie-in Superbowl ad and thought "Yoiks" ....

:)

12. takao macrumors 68040

takao

well it's very difficult...because they are running on all channels 24/7 (except the american ones,bbc and eurosport and arte ;) )

at the moment this whole hype around mobile phones,sms,mms,camera phones is just getting ..out of hand

13. vollspacken thread starter macrumors 65816

vollspacken

exactly, and I have the impression that the TV stations crank up the volume of the ads in comparison to the so-called program... so it's even more obnoxious to hear the crazy girls screaming at you. do they think everybody is deaf??? :confused:

vSpacken

14. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Yes indeed, I hate that! At least in the U.S., they've been selling TV's for years with a built in thing that's supposed to make the volume the same. That never really worked, but once I got digital cable it wasn't as bad.

15. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I recently download a 300MB rar archive (1.1GB expanded) with 38,000 polyphonic ringtones!!!!!

Why? No idea! I always have my phone on silent!

16. vollspacken thread starter macrumors 65816

vollspacken

well, at least it's nicely rendered (if you use Safari)

:p ;) :)

vSpacken

17. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

Definitely I can feel for you, spacken... the ads here are really terrible.
    I always wonder from where the heck they get the girls who have those laughably high-pitched voices. And, oh yeah, its annoying too.

The ads are so... unstylish. So loud. So in-your-face. So... PC! :eek:

18. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

It sounds like the audio is bugging you more than anything... soooo... just get into the habbit of using the Mute button whenever the commercials come on! Whether it's the dreaded ringtone ads or just some other lame commercial, at least you don't have to listen to it... and more importantly, it gives you a chance to get up and walk around. :D

19. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I turned down a network TV commercial last night, a few clicks of the VOLUME DOWN button, and it was still louder than the program I was watching. If digital cable is better about this, I'm switching today.

I'm a neatnik, so when Carl's Junior started running those ads with people's burgers dripping everywhere, I started a Carl's Junior boycott. I haven't given in yet. Are they still running those disgustingly messy ads?

20. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Originally, Magnavox (and then others) started making TVs with "smart sound" chips, designed to adjust the volume to compensate for low/high ranges. Then, when that didn't help matters any, cable companies themselves started touting it. And still nothing. Two of my three TVs have smart sound chips, and my digital cable company claims to run volume checking on everything, but shows continue to be far less loud than the ads-- i sort of wonder if ad companies pay more based on how excessively loud the TV will get...

The joke is on them tho, when i watch TV i'm usually doing something else as well, so when a really annoying loud ad comes on, i wind up muting or turning off the TV and just focusing on my activity. So, by trying to get at me with a loud ad, they've just shut me down to all the rest of their ads. Same concept with spam; people have closed themselves off to this type of advertising because it was used way too heavily. It's why the DMA (direct-marketing association) has been calling for tougher anti-spam laws, because they realize spam has killed the online advertising industry. Now, if only a group of advertisers will get together and call for quieter, less annoying commercials!

oh, uh, except those cell phone ads with the hot triplets in them... They can stay. Yum yum.

paul

21. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Banner ads too. I don't even "see" them anymore even though they appear at so many web sites.

And I wasn't kidding about digital cable. I just got off the phone with Comcast. I signed up for digital cable service since my post above! Now if I can just give up network shows I like, I won't have to put up with so many loud commercials. Too bad I'm hooked on "Alias".

22. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Speaking of annoying banners (not to hijack this thread or anything), anyone getting fed up with that stupid Microsoft Office 2004 banner/skyscraper with that stupid doll being shaken around? It's really beginning to get on my nerves! I can only scroll or move the browser window to the side so many times before I crack. :rolleyes:

23. King Cobra macrumors 603

I hear ya about that Microsoft Office ad. It annoys me because it flashes white. Any ads/commercials that flash/fade to full white/black piss me off.

Stealing an idea from one of the car mags...it's time to switch to something called: The "Off" button.