aaaargh!!! Why does TORONTO not have an Apple-store???

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by vollspacken, Mar 29, 2003.

1. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

I just came back from my spring break trip to toronto & montreal and made the shocking discovery that there isn't an apple-store in one of these cities... WHYYYYYY???

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

... I don't understand it! I accepted the fact that they don't want to open one in my native country Germany, but they should at least open one in Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal. Bad for them, since I know that I would have bought at least software, maybe an iPod. I know, I can do that through the online store or my reseller of choice here in IA, but NOTHING beats real shopping (especially in a store where all the apple stuff is on display and people talk you into buying something, muharharhar...)

conclusion: I spent my money on clothing, beer/going out, and cds... o.k., that cost me less than I would have spent at the Apple-store, but anyway...:rolleyes:

vSpacken

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

i don't think that there are any apple stores outside of the US (that are currently open).
    However, after the success of the currently existing Apple stores, Apple is considering opening apple stores worldwide and i believe they have actually started doing so.

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I wish i had an answer for you, but how about another Question? Why does backwards yahoo country SouthCarolina not have a Apple Store? I guess we are not worthy! (either)

4. jaykk macrumors 6502a

How come there is none in Pittsburgh

I cant believe there is no apple store in Pittsburgh. I recently moved here from Westchester, NY ..there was 3 store in 10-15 miles radius. I think Apple is opening or opened a Development Center in Pittsburgh though.

5. dricci macrumors 6502a

Canada's Future Shop to sell Apple products, get retail reps

From what I hear, Canada just doesn't have enough population to have official Apple Stores that would be profitable. However, Think Secret is saying the Future Shops will soon be getting in-store Apple Reps, sorta like what Apple did in the CompUSAs down here.

6. vollspacken thread starter macrumors 65816

vollspacken

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

not profitable enough??? ...that doesn't make sense to me. toronto or montreal are major metropolitan areas. there are several million people in both cities plus they are both upscale markets with huge educational institutions.

jeez, open stores there...

vSpacken

7. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

8. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

How about New Orleans? It would be the only Apple store within hundreds of miles, and there would be plenty of foot traffic if the store was in the French Quarter (far from Bourbon St, of course). New Orleans may not be an ideal city, but it certainly attracts a lot of people, especially around Mardi Gras. If Apple opened a store here, I don't think it would be their lowest earner. Just my two cents.

9. ebow macrumors 6502a

ebow

Several million... people? Ohhhh, I always thought it was several million polar bears. :D

<ducks>

kidding! kidding!

10. djwu macrumors newbie

but wait ...

I just read that Future Stores in Toronto will have a mini-Apple store in them. They're going to test them out. and if it goes well they'll expand to having store-in-stores throughout the rest of Canada.

I understand that we all want Apple stores in our hometown, but Apple has to be careful and not get ahead of itself. It takes take for stores to become profitable.

11. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

I know Future Shops, Compusmart and Westworld carry Apple computers.
    Westworld's focus is on Apple. :)

12. daniel77 macrumors 6502

which leads me to ask the same question every day, why not open one in one of the world's most beautiful cities, Seattle? honestly? what does it take? More than 1 million people, great sites and a wonderful metropolis setting? Jeez every Apple store must be in a utopia :eek: ;)

13. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

I used to live inthe Seattle area.
    Apple should put a store on the I-5.
    That way you could spend time in an Apple store instead of traffic.
    ;)

14. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

What about Europe?
    I would like to see them opening in the major cities of Europe. London would be an obvious city, but also Paris where there (usually) is a MacWorld Expo ever year.

15. daniel77 macrumors 6502

:D :D :D

a whole new definition of drive through :p

16. janey macrumors 603

janey

apple's opening a store in bellevue soon, somewhat close to seattle and seriously close to redmond...:D
    i guess apple only opens stores where it thinks it will be profitable, such as Los Angeles, the Bay Area, NYC, etc.
    It's based on how many Mac users live in the area, how rich they are (ever notice that a lot of apple stores are in or near areas where the average income is like $$$$$$$), if there's a place where they can open an apple store (not too big, not too small).
    I consider myself lucky...four Apple stores, all within 30 minutes of my house and another one under construction :D and that's just in los angeles alone :D :p

17. daniel77 macrumors 6502

yes i had heard about that, in Bellevue Square. But since we are just hearing about it, it is likely that we will not see it open for several months. :(

18. janey macrumors 603

janey

yeah sucks still at least there's gonna be one :D
    apple's opening more and more stores everywhere :p yay!

19. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

20. VegetaPunk macrumors 6502

I live 1/2 a mile away from an apple store here in Arizona, I love the apple store its really cool.:D

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I've been wondering about Toronto for a long time. Toronto is the 4th or 6th largest city in North America. Why not open one here? It doesn't make any sense. Also, people's purchasing power is higher in Canada than in the US even though our dollar is worth less, and everything we sell at a retail store that's from the US is bought wholesale at US prices, and sold accordingly, which just proves that Canada must be doing something right if our purchasing power is higher. This only means that we have more disposable income to spend on overpriced Macs than our US neighbours, so why not!!!!

Canada also has it's fair share of gullible lemmings who would buy a Mac simply because it's pretty. ;)

22. Heart Break Kid macrumors 6502a

Ive lived in toronto for 18 years oof my 20 year life. the other 2 years ive lived in quebec :D quebec city that is. so if you really want an apple store - do what i did. move to the states. my excuse was university - im sure u can come up with one too :D

btw - damn Philly is suing Tie DOMI - Owen Nolan is still hurt and Dougy isnt back yet. why are my leafs hurtin sooo bad???

23. t^3 macrumors regular

Just noticed this - in the retail job listings, there are now openings for a Seattle, WA location in University Village! Note that this is different than the Bellevue location.

24. janey macrumors 603

janey

apple's based in the united states.
    of course they'd start apple stores here to raise their market share then go on to other countries and stuff like that...they should have stores in 1. europe, 2. canada, 3. mexico, 4. japan, 5. south korea

25. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

japan and europe i can understand, since many rich people live there, but no so in S. Korea and Mexico, canada. I think it would be wiser for apple to start in countries in which people can afford to buy there product, which even in the US is slimming.
    (it costs about 400 dollars more to go apple vs. pc )