aaargh.... Airport Woes!:(

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dscan99, Feb 24, 2005.

1. dscan99 macrumors regular

Dec 10, 2004
    Nashville, TN
    So I come home to find the airport signal on my laptop is zero and everytime I click on the icon in the top menu bar to join my network "linksys", I get "Unable to connect to network linksys". I have a linksys router for internet sharing only that is connected to a PC. There's no password on it though I would like to WEP protect it(but I lost the manual that came with the router )..maybe someone here can shed light on how I do this.

Anyway, after much corssing of the fingers and one reboot of the iBook, it has now connected to the network and I have wireless internet again. I left it for 10 minutes and the screensaver kicked in and when icame back, it had gone down to zero bars again.. no internet :( I have no clue what's going on.... Is it some werid Airport behaviour? How do I trouble shoot this?

Please help!!
  2. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

May 3, 2004
    Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
    My bet is on a loose airport card or antenna. Just have a look at Apple's instructions on how to replace an airport card and verify that your antenna and card a securely attached.
  3. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Dec 10, 2002
    I've seen the same problem. Try temporarily powering down the router. After it powers back up, I bet the signal returns to normal. Nothing is wrong with your iBook's airport card.
  4. dscan99 thread starter macrumors regular

Dec 10, 2004
    Nashville, TN
    thanks for both suggestions... I didn't reset (as in hold down the reset button for 20 seconds or whatever the amount of time) the router but just powered it down and back up. (is that the same as reset???),..

Also I failed to mention in my orignial post, I turned ON the "Use Interference robustness" option and it seems ok so far.. so maybe there was some kindof interference? I never had this option turned on till this problem opccurs... what exactly does that option mean?
  5. advres Guest

Oct 3, 2003
    I used to have so many problems with my wireless router in my old apartment. It is a D-link. My two roomates windows boxes were hooked up to it via wires and I was running wireless. I would loss my signal many times a night. The best and quickest way I found to solve the problem was to unplug the router and turn your airport off. The after a minute, plug the router back in and turn airport back on.

Since I have moved to my new apartment and I am the only one connected to the router I have had no problems since.

I would like to blame it on the PC's but I am a network dunce so I don't really know why it is working good now.