Aaargh, iPod - am I too greedy???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by vollspacken, May 2, 2004.

1. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

I ordered a 20Gig iPod last wednesday (the store didn't have the mid sized one in store)

all weekend I was thinking about going back to the store, cancelling my order, and picking up the 40Gig instead... my collection won't fit on the 20Gig, but do I really need 40Gig???

aaaaargh, this is killing me, what should I do??? am I to greedy??? help, please...

vSpacken

2. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

...how big is your collection?
    ...how have you imported your cd's? MP3 or AAC (I saved over 5G by re-importing everything as AAC)
    ...do you need to have your entire collection on you at all times?

I have a 20G iPod as well... my collection is a tad larger then what I can fit on it (about 24G), but by going through and turning off a few songs that I rarely listen too and making a few extra playlists...it's all I'd need for now.
    Sure, it'd be great having the 40G... but for the extra $- I'm very happy with this for now. When my collection grows to 30-35G I'll upgrade...and by then, the 40 will probably be the low end.

3. TheT macrumors 6502

First thing: why are you buying a new iPod now when new ones will be out in two months at the latest? Probably the guys at Bense just talked you into it ;)
    I'd say go with 20GB. I own a 15GB iPod; 3000 songs are plenty, believe me, you won't need your whole collection. The main reason for me wouldn't be money, it would be size. Have you ever seen a 20GB next to a 40GB? Sure it's still small, but the 20GB is just sleeker...

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

My iPod 15GB just went from the x.x GB free view to the xxx.x MB free view. :( It's a very sad feeling -- I feel tears starting to well up. Then again, I have about 700MB of recorded radio shows I've already listened to that need to get zipped and dropped on a CDR, so really it isn't as bad as it sounds.

But having everything you own on the iPod is very nice. And it saves you all the nuisance of having to help iTunes select which songs get copied over (it still doesn't have a very intelligent way, does it? It should start by dropping low play count songs, like zero plays, maybe based on how long ago you pulled it into iTunes without ever listening to it). :)

OTOH, the 40GB is physically bigger than the other ones, isn't it (thickness)?

5. IrishGold macrumors member

I don't get why people keep thinking another iPod is coming out soon. The mini iPod hasn't even been out that long :confused:

6. DGFan macrumors 6502a

If a new iPod comes out I am betting it will be having new features and not more storage. And, as always with Apple, you can't bank on waiting just "another month or two". People waited at the end of last year to buy a G5 hoping that new G5s would come out at MWSF. They are still waiting (and probably will be waiting until June).

7. vollspacken thread starter macrumors 65816

vollspacken

hehe, I indeed went to Bense... ;)

but they did not talk me into it. I wanted one for almost half a year now (actually since X-Mas) and couldn't stand it anymore... I tried to force me to wait until the next revision comes out, but AAAARGH - IT'S SPRING NOW and there is no sense waiting for ever and ever for a revision that might come next week or next year (see quote below)

well, that's exactly what I thought... IF there will be a completely new iPod (maybe with video out..?) anytime during the next few months, I might wait for the rev. B. of that device...

I think your remark on the size of the 20 vs. 40 appears to be some good advice (haven't thought into that..,) so I might as well go with the 20Gig I ordered... :)

Gruss
    vSpacken

8. vollspacken thread starter macrumors 65816

vollspacken

...oh, Gravis was cheaper (and some webstores like Cancom were too), I still went to Bense - good store, nice people... I highly recommend it, even though they seem to be a little on the pricy side

vSpacken

9. iJed macrumors 6502

I don't see much relation between iPod and iPod mini release dates...

10. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

i just went through the exact same thing. and it is really sad. except that i now have a number of gigs worth of music that don't fit on my ipod. ah well, it's going to be a long time before i get rid of my trusty 15 (provided nothing bad happens to it ::knocks on wood:: ).

11. crenz macrumors 6502a

crenz

I can't afford an iPod :), but if I could, I would probably get the 40 gig one. This gives you more space to install Mac OS X on it or copy the data for the project you're working on. That way, your iPod is not only a music player, but also a Mac rescue disk and data sharing tool.

12. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Installing OSX on your ipod is dumb. Its a fairly slow HD and a waste of valuable space (ie don't buy a bigger model just for osx, but what you need/can afford). Keeping data on there is kind of useful but also keep in mind that most non macs don't have firewire ports on the front if they have one at all. so you have to reach around and mount/unmount it all the time. Probabiy not worth the hassle. If your work is small enough, just keep it on a web server or something thats easy to use anywhere with high speed internet access. If I really had a day to day need for the data thing I would get a thumd drive and smaller ipod because USB is usually easy to get to.

13. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

get the 40GB so that you can keep all your music on it
    refurbished 40GB are 399 at the apple store i think, same price as a new 20GB

14. jimjiminyjim macrumors 6502

I bought a Samsung Yepp on eBay - $66 Canadian shipped - because I couldn't afford an iPod. It holds... 20 songs? I've been looking around my house thinking "what can I sell, what can I sell?" my scanner... $20.00, some old CDs, $20.00.... but then, I like them, so why would I sell them when I only ever listen to music for max. an hour at a time.

Perhaps this puts it into perspective for you.

If you listen to music for under an hour a day, make 30 playlists with 30 songs. That's 900 songs, well under 10 GB. Here's another take: Maybe you should cancel your 20GB and get an iPod mini.

Personally, I think your choice of a 20GB iPod is a great choice. Slim and sleek design. Plenty of music, even if not every last song, and great sound. Enjoy it when it arrives!

15. zach007 macrumors member

if your collection won't fit then I would think "yes, I want all my songs on there" :confused:

16. crenz macrumors 6502a

crenz

Obviously an external HDD is cheaper, but if you can afford it, I think it's nice to have a rescue system on the iPod and not have to carry around another device (ie., external disk). It's not like you plan to work with it or something.

17. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

That's just it... you do.
    Chances are- if I'm out and about with my iPod, I don't have my dock on me.
    And if I was with my computer, it'd be much easier and faster to just have an external.

While as a pipe dream, it works to use your iPod as a back-up... in reality, I see no point.

Not to mention- if I was to use it to bring files to another computer I'd have to worry about remembering to turn off the auto-update feature in iTunes...before thier computer wiped out my tunes- in exchange for thiers.

18. codycartoon macrumors regular

Get the 40, your collection will only get bigger.

-cody