Aaargh! Netflix!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Ugg, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Just received "The Bourne Supremacy" today. Slid it in the PB and it wouldn't play. Took it out, wiped it off, reinserted no go. Hmmm, ok, I'll use Mplayer to watch it. No such luck, look in the folder it's got an .exec file and a text file. I open it up the text file and it says that in order to play this movie on a computer, the computer has to be a PC, Macs not allowed and the enclosed software must be installed.

I was POd. First off, Netflix of course makes no mention of this when you rent the movie, second, I don't have a TV or DVD player and of course, no PC.

I sent off a complaint, not that Netflix cares but why are movie studios so effing idiotic?

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Complain to the distributor, not NetFlix. It's not their fault, and you can't really expect them to report whether it plays on a Mac or not.

3. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Try ripping it with MactheRipper, and opening the VIDEO_TS folder with DVD player.

e

4. paleck macrumors 6502a

paleck

I have Bourne Supremacy and I think it plays fine, but I'll have to check. Maybe its either from an older or newer issuance of the dvd that they made that change.

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

6. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

The Bourne Supremacy DVD that I got from Netflix was not able to be ripped by MacTheRipper due to bad sectors.

7. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Handbrake?

Absurd over the top fear of piracy...

8. Ugg thread starter macrumors 68000

Ugg

I've complained to both but Netflix has a duty to disclose any pertinent information about the discs it rents. And, you can be darned sure they were informed about by Universal Studios.

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

But you would expect a DVD rental service to provide actual DVDs.

10. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

you need to bypass the ArCCOS. Report the Bourne disk as damaged, since it doesn't work as it should be expected to.

11. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

But I was able to watch it fine on my Mac and my DVD player. Just couldn't rip it. I should still report it as damaged? P.S. I was running the latest version (2.6.6) of MTR, by the way.

12. adk macrumors 68000

adk

No, you shouldn't. It didn't rip because it has a little thing called copy protection :rolleyes:

13. Phat Elvis macrumors 6502

Not that anyone would bypass copyright infringement. You were just testing out a program right? You wouldn't use Mactheripper on a disc you didn't own right? Keep it clean, no one gets hurt.

Oh, and blockbuster online discs work fine in macs (so far). Who would you rather support? Blockbuster or Walmart?

14. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I haven't rented Bourne Supremacy and haven't run into this problem with any other movie.

However, this week I got a DVD from Netflix that kept getting stuck at one place. We had to go to the scene selector menu and switch to the next scene. I'm not sure how much of the movie we missed. A few seconds or minutes, I guess.

I checked the Netflix site and they say to try using glass cleaner on the disc (remember to move outwards, never in a circular motion). If that doesn't work, they have a simple form where you can report the damage so they can take that disc out of circulation.

15. Ugg thread starter macrumors 68000

Ugg

I would use Mac the Ripper on a disc if it was the only option to view it and frequently use it for DVDs that I check out at the Library. Actually I have one about "Beginning Sign Language" that I have ripped to my hard drive that came from the Library. This is well within my fair usage rights. I would never rip one from Netflix.

Netflix bought out Walmart. Walmart has nothing to do with Netflix. I would never rent from Blockbuster. Their policies in the past have been geared towards appeasing the religious right in this country and they have chosen not to rent a lot of films based on the content.

16. Ugg thread starter macrumors 68000

Ugg

I've had damaged disc problems before. One came with a huge crack in it. This one was not damaged, simply unplayable on a Mac.

17. Phat Elvis macrumors 6502

Good info on Netflix. I really wanted to use them but I considered Blockbuster a lesser evil - I also disagree with their policies but they have less power. If Walmart (the devil) is not involved then I'm moving!

18. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

I say report it as damaged anyway. YOUR DVD player that can play every other DVD movie you've received from them can't play it, therefore it's 'unplayable'. There's not really much that Netflix can do about it.

19. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia

i used the Arcoss option and it worked fine. Though i had an early copy and it played on my mac just fine...

20. Timepass macrumors 65816

umm no it not with in fair useage rights. it is agaist the law to rip that DVD you got from the libary. You dont own it. The libary does. It would be the same as you taking a DVD from a friend and ripping it (also agaist the law).

You are only really allowed to that if you OWN the DVD and you PAID for the DVD. Like it would need to be on your shelf at home for you to be allowed to use fair useage law and rip it.

21. virus1 macrumors 65816

virus1

bourne supremacy worked fine on my powerboook.. wouldn't mind if it didn't tho, it wasn't a very good flick.

22. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Right, that's how sony rolls. Arccos bad sectors are ignored by any DVD playing application, but when it's data transfering the bad sectors mess it up.

23. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

Coincidentally, after reading this thread, I decided to watch Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets on my iMac, and DVD Player showed it as an unsupported disc (to be clear, I own this DVD and didn't get it off of Netflix).

I do use Netflix though, and have only had one problem during my entire subscription: I received one DVD with a huge crack in it. Sent it back with a broken DVD report. It's a great thing, Netflix. :)

24. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Well, I just wanted to rip it so that I could watch it on my notebook on a flight and preserve some battery by watching from the HDD instead of the DVD. In the end, I ended up just bringing the DVD with me.

25. zach macrumors 65816

zach

that's his point, i think. he takes it out from the library and simply has it pre-ripped onto his harddrive so he doesn't have to even put it in when he has it out.

even if it's not out of the library, it's a freely available public resource, as it's at the library, and as long as he's not burning and distributing copies, you can make a very strong case that using/ripping a DVD like that is totally legal under fair use.

it may not be in the spirit of the law, but it would be pretty hard for anyone to actually win a court case against you for that kind of usage.