Aaargh spill!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by the-fish, Oct 29, 2006.

1. the-fish macrumors member

I accidentally spilled tea (!) on my PowerBook G4 17 inch, across the left speaker and keyboard. I immediately shut it down and tried to wipe the liquid up and then held it up allowing liquid to drain out. I then started it up (I have since found out this is NOT good) and after some stuttering got to the Mac OS X login window sort of split-screen and in false colour. I used the volume control buttons and the affected speaker seemed ok. I then checked on another computer for spill procedure and found out that I should turn off and wait for 24 hours, so I've shut it down, taken out battery etc. However, is the apparent damage to the connection to the display permanent? I don't know what's causing it.
    I tried taking off the top cover in order to remove the keyboard and dry it but I couldn't (there were two weird screws in there.... star shaped... damn it) but now I think the keyboard is probably going to be the least of my worries. It's making faint electronic-whining noises (you know?) despite being off and battery-less...

What should I do?!

2. backsidetailsli macrumors 65816

backsidetailsli

i really hope you have some protection plan. after turnin it on, you may have fried something. i say wait it out, try again and hope for the best.

3. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

I know it is too late to say this, and I don't mean to rub salt into wounds, but the worst thing you can do after a spill is to turn on the device and see if it is OK. The only hope is to let it dry out. That can take hours...days is better!

I hope the best for you!