Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melchior

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2002
so, i was excited and ready to start ripping cd's. thought i'd check the 128vs.160 qualities, so i ripped them both. both had a beep, just about every 15 -20 seconds.

i ripped more tracks. more cd's. i rebooted. i tried just using quicktime. i rebooted again. i checked quicktime 6.2 is installed...

anything i encode with the aac codec has these little annoying beeps all through it. and they alternate in stereo from left to right. weird. mp3 is fine. aiff is fine. just aac.

anyone have this problem? i am so sad :(

melchior

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2002
i can't believe i'm the only one suffereing here. =(

6.2 makes me want to cry. 6.1.2 could export to AAC no problem. 6.2 is making me sad :(

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Bad sign

So basically QuickTime 6.2 forbids Pro users from encoding their own CDs in AAC? If this is so then I will continue ripping CDs to MP3s and I will not install the QuickTime update before reading more feedback from users like yourself.

Malic

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2002
I've re-ripped about 5 CD's so far under AAC with iTunes 4 and QuickTime 6.2 - no problems at all. Are you sure your CD's are clean? CD-ROM drive?

jethroted

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2003
Cyberspace
I too have ripped many cd's now with no problems. I installed QT 6.2 then itunes4, and started ripping. Sorry I couldn't be of any help. On the bright side, my music sounds awsome, even at 128 kb/s!

melchior

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2002
yeah it's just me.

i even did a clean install of jaguar.

it doesn't matter if it's directly from the cd or an aiff or mp3 or anything. anyting encoded with aac, at any bitrate is screwed with tones...

=(

melchior

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2002
NEW INFORMATION

i've got new information... maybe someone has an idea...

encoding through iTunes gives the beeps. encoding with QT pro gives the beeps.

HOWEVER!

in QT if i select encoding quality Best instead of better, i don't get the beeps. all other settings don't matter, this one does! now this is great, i can finally encode a song in AAC.

But, i still can't encode with iTunes, because iTunes has no setting for best, better, etc.... =(

any idea???

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: NEW INFORMATION

Originally posted by melchior

But, i still can't encode with iTunes, because iTunes has no setting for best, better, etc.... =(

any idea???

choose Custom and choose a different bitrate

arn

melchior

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2002
Re: Re: NEW INFORMATION

Originally posted by arn
choose Custom and choose a different bitrate

arn

it's not the bitrate that's the issue. if you have quicktime pro you can see in the export options that in addition to bitrate and frequency, there is an 'encoder quality' option that is not available in iTunes.

it is this option only that provides a bearable listening experience. i can make the bitrate 320 in iTunes and it still beeps.

there is some weird problem... i don't know what it is. it's just weird. but if the encoder is set to 'best' i am happy. if only iTunes would tell QT to use 'best' setting :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.