AAC Formated Music

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by VegetaPunk, May 5, 2003.

1. VegetaPunk macrumors 6502

Is this compatable with mp3 players, can I play an acc file on windows on winamp or what ever windows people use ??? Just wondering

2. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

I don't think so but then agian I could be wrong, I tried to send an aac fiel to my PC friend and he couldn't open it...:rolleyes:

3. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Was it an AAC file you downloaded from Apple or one you created yourself? I'm sure you know that Apple has put a DRM(Digital Rights Management) in there AAC files.

There are players for windows machines that will play MP4 AAC files but you have to get them. Also there are plug-ins for existing MP3 players. Simply put you can't play an MP4 AAC file on just any MP3 player it someone has to set it up to play them. Also MP4s are incompatible with portable MP3 players unless stated otherwise. MP3s and MP4s are completely different and incompatible formats.

4. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

The file was a track off my Simpsons CD that iTunes encoded in AAC format. It saved as a .mp4 when I tried to send it to my friend he couldn't open it...silly windows :p

5. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

When I encode tracks with iTunes in AAC they are called .m4a , are you sure that wasn't a file encoded in quicktime?

Tell them to download quicktime for windows, that will play it.

6. King Cobra macrumors 603

I'm sure LimeiBook meant .m4a.

I did a similar thing last week: .aac

It's .m4a

Unless players are specifically coded for the new AAC format (including computers and every such device) the AAC files will be seen as "documents".

Rio has a new player out: (via Funmac.com)

[​IMG]

but I am not too sure if it plays AAC files currently. An update for support to AAC would secure compatibility.

7. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

from what I've heard

AAC files encoded in QT can be played in windows. They becomes simply .mp4

Files encoded in itunes are .m4a (mpeg 4 audio)

Files bought from the itunes music store are .m4p (must mean mpeg4 protected or something)

The bottom 2 won't play in anything bar itunes ( and the iapps)