Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

settledown

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2003
pittsburgh
i get it, you like ogg so you want ogg.

simple fact: apple hasn't put ogg into itunes or ipod and wont in future versions.

they are in the process of asking the entire planet to start using AAC, so why would they add OGG?

you have added plugins and workarounds to make OGG work in itunes and ipod, that isn't the same as apple making ogg built in.

MP3 to OGG is like Microsoft to Apple
EVERYONE(95%) has MP3's, NO ONE(5%) has OGG.

I'm not grumpy, Im just using some common sense here.

Privately i hope they add OGG for you guys, but it wont happen. That is the reality.

acj

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2003
I wish it were MP3

Because my car plays MP3s. Sure I can burn regular CDs but I can't have 10 hours on one...

maradong

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
Originally posted by Websnapx2
Too true, the PC world more often than not follow the mac's lead. How ever the ogg is mostly used by unix users is it not?

yup. ogg definetly rocks on my linux / unix machines.

But i got a question. Will i be able to play the songs on my mac as soon as i get one? or do i have to rerip all of my cd s ( 250 ) ? would be quiet frustrating, but i will accept it, for the ease of use of the os...

Websnapx2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
It would be better for you to re-rip in aac for quality's sake. I am in the processs of re-riping, it asks me if I want to overwrite my existing files, which is very handy.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Just a couple of points, the perceptible quality differences between AAC at 128, MP3 at 240, .aiff and 24/96 aiff or SACD are apparent, but you have to have the training and the talent to appreciate them. I can hear the difference in AAC even through the earbuds, run it through a decent system and it just screams at me.

The real gain for AAC for most people will be the smaller file size against a percievable quality increase.

These differences only become important if you do this for a living, consumers generally know or care little about such minutiae. (present company gratefully excepted)

By the way, I think CD audio 16/44.1 really sucks, but its better than spending 10K on a vinyl system and CD's don't wear out.

I'm ripping 15 gigs to 128 AAC this weekend... it matters to me.

Websnapx2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
me too. I rip CD's while I watch TV because my 400 g4 getts testy if it is ripping aac and doing other stuff. I have about 30 CD's left!! Whoo Hoo!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.