AACS?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by danielsan26, Oct 4, 2005.

1. danielsan26 macrumors regular

I just saw an article on pcworld.com linked up by cnet talking about a technology called AACS that will prevent high-definition video from a blu-ray or HD-DVD from playing on an "unsupported" monitor. The article made it sound like it was applicable to any computer playing blu-ray or HDDVD. Does this mean I should be waiting to buy an Apple display until such technology is straightened out? I was going to buy one this week, but in a desperate situation I could wait a few months if it was the difference between watching high definition video or not for the forseeable future. These companies are just going crazy with this protected content stuff. When will they realize that a paradigm shift of their pricing model is needed instead of greater DRM? Does anyone here know anything about this? I thought about submitting it to macbytes to try to get some discussion about it but I didn't figure it was mac-centered enough yet.
    Article here:
    Sorry for sending you to pcworld

2. danielsan26 thread starter macrumors regular

I wanted to elaborate on why I thought this Vista-centered article might apply to macs as well:
    It sounds like the industry is going to force all hardware manufacturers to abide by this AACS.

3. Espnetboy3 macrumors 6502

Could someone break this down in laymans terms.

4. danielsan26 thread starter macrumors regular

Basically, if you don't have a monitor that some committee has determined won't be a "video capture device," any HD movie playback will be blurred. The problem is, there are virtually no such displays currently out (I don't think the current displays are). This forces anyone who wants to watch an HD movie on their computer screen to buy a new, HDCP-equipped display just to watch movies.

5. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

$o let me get this $traight. If you wanted to watch HD video$, $ay 1920x1080i, and you had a un$upported 1920x1200 monitor. It would fail to playback or playback in HD. That'$ crap.

6. Espnetboy3 macrumors 6502

Thats dumb its going to hurt their own industry. Most people will say dvds look so good already why will I buy a hd dvd for double the price and have to buy a new monitor just to view it. How will this stop people from piracy tho?

7. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

I cant see something like this flying. Lots of HD tvs out there already (I have one), and the owners are not going to want to replace them to watch a HD DVD. :mad:

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

This has been talked about in a couple of other HDTV threads that have popped up in various parts of MR.

Yeah, basically early HDTV adopters are screwed and anyone who wants to watch next HDDVD/Blu-ray on their computer is screwed 'cause HDCP compliant monitors don't even exist yet (AFAIK).

Lethal

9. danielsan26 thread starter macrumors regular

So I guess this means that the current Apple displays are definitely incompatible with this hypothetical technology. I guess I might wait a few weeks at the very least to research it a little more before buying a monitor and seeing if this has any credibility. Oh, and vanmac I don't think this applies to TV's, unless you're planning on using your computer as a blu-ray or HDDVD player. But, what do I know? I can't even tell if this is any more than speculation.

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

It's not speculation it's an announced form of DRM. I mean, until things start shipping nothing is set in stone, but I haven't heard anything to suggest this technology will not be used.

And it applies to TVs as well. Basically, in order to play back this content you'll need and HDCP compliant player and monitor. If you do not have both it will either not play, or only play in 480i (standard def).

Lethal

11. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

I dont know.....I still dont think that will fly. If they do push it, they would have to provide some sort of dongle or adapter for existing TV/Displays out there. I'ts been hard enought to convince the consumer to switch to digital and wide screen tv's for HD. I cant see them being able to sell this....