Aah...I need to vent!!

Discussion in 'Community' started by mariahlullaby, Aug 25, 2005.

1. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2005
    I am not a math person. I will never be a math person. End of story.

We have our first math test of the year tomorrow and I'm so worried (and still up studying). The concepts aren't that difficult -- we learned most of them in Algebra II in my sophmore year (I'm a senior) -- but my book is HORRIBLE. It explains nothing (my dad looked at it for two hours and couldn't make sense of half the stuff....and he's excellent at math, got a Nat'l Merit scholarship to MIT (though he didn't go), an engineer, etc.). I think I'm going to buy another book to teach myself and get a tutor...I'm just so frustrated. My teacher could care less (as do most teachers at my school. When I came in for extra help last year, my teacher told me "I really don't care if you fail, because I'll still get paid."). I guess what makes me so angry is it's not like I'm not putting work into math -- tonight alone I've studied 2.5 hours and usually put in 90 minutes for math HW and studying each night. I go in for extra help, do my HW, ask my dad...and I still do badly. And I'm not unintelligent (at least I don't think so). I get the concepts, mostly -- I just make stupid mistakes or run out of time.

:( :( :( :(
  2. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Jun 26, 2004
    I live in a giant bucket!
    Have your dad talk to the teacher and the principal. If that quote is true that teacher should not be teaching.
  3. tech4all macrumors 68040

Jun 13, 2004
    This may sound kind of weird but try changing this thought concept. Try thinking that you are a math person and that you will be a math person. True some are better at things and other's are not, but by simply changing your view, it could help.

Yea I know it's sounds odd, but it couldn't hurt ;)

They seriously said that? That's not a teacher in my book.

Have you tried taking breaks from the studying? Just to clear your mind for a while them come back to the work. Nonetheless, good luck to you and just try your best!
  4. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

May 6, 2005
    Bay Area
    One of my teachers have said that, except, he was trying to help us. He said "I don't care if you fail, I'll still get paid. the person who should care, is you, so don't screw yourself over and do your work"

He was actually a good teacher.
  5. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    Talk about some good motivation, haha.

6. mariahlullaby thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2005
    We have tried. My dad wrote him letters/emails to arrange a meeting but the teacher didn't really seem keen on that. Involving the principal would make matters worse; we learned our lesson in middle school. In our system, you get labeled as a "problem" and they will make your life hell for it -- it's disgusting. We're planning on writing a formal letter of complaint, but after I leave the school because they WILL target you if you're still at the school and you darfe say anything may not be going perfectly. All they care about is test scores -- my principal encourages students not to take multiple AP courses because if we do badly on them, they reflect badly on the school.

Yes, this particular teacher should NOT be teaching. Seniors generally don't take 2nd semester exams at our school, but if they have less than an 80% in the class, they have to. Teachers give 1 hour exams to the seniors rather than the normal 2 hours; most teachers write up a new exam for the seniors (not an easier one, just a shorter one). He didn't feel like it, so he told them just to do the even problems on the regular exam (thus dividing it in half). However, most of his problems used the same data over a series of questions (i.e. "Using your data from #4, calculate..." etc. meaning they had to do almost the entire exam in 1 hour instead of 2). They told him, and he didn't feel like re-grading, so he said "Too bad" and as a result most of the seniors failed the test and lowered their averages before heading off to college.

I've just taken a break from the math -- thanks for the suggestion! -- to work on some English. Going back to study now :).
  7. CompUser Guest

Wow, that is a really bad teacher. If the principal won't do anything about it, talk to the director of the entire school system.

My teacher in 7th grade was horrible. She would spend the last 5 minutes explaining concepts. Then our homework was out of the stupid IMPACT math book (very controversal way of teaching math), which made no sense to everyone in the class. We learned very little, and when test time came, people asked for extra help but the teacher said I already taught you this. So when the majority of the class did poorly, she would have a tantrum and ask us why we didn't ask for extra help.

Just a note: IMPACT math is horrible. I was forced into taking it, and I tried to get out multiple times, but the teachers and principle wouldn't let me and said "we won't let anyone out", except I know a few people who did.

To finish my story, my 8th grade math teacher who I really liked (I've known her my whole life, she used to be my neighbor and my dad is the boss of her husband LOL :)) didn't even use the impact book even though she was supposed to. She took the normal math book, and photocopied pages for us. Everyone liked her.
  8. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

Dec 1, 2003
    Scranton, PA
  9. neildmitchell macrumors 6502a

May 21, 2005
    I got the same remark from two different math teachers.
    I tired so dang hard in both classes, I spent a min. of 3 hours a day doing math homework, I understood it as I worked on it, then test time I always bombed. Sounds like your still in High School, its the same bs in college unfortunately.
  10. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

Feb 3, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Do you get anxious during exams?
  11. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

Aug 5, 2003
    Now, I remember my physics teacher in school, he used to say us:

-Are you ready to use the brain for the firs time ? :confused:

-Do not hesitate about that problem on the board, it may hurt your brain. :eek:

-Take care, thinking that much can destroy your thoughts about real life. Relativity is for crazy people and you confused that term with mad.
  12. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    I remember that our tutor used to have a habit of replying...

"I don't know, you tell me" when you asked him a question. :eek: :p

Anyway, I'm shocking at maths too... like, REALLY bad. :(
  13. realityisterror macrumors 65816

Aug 30, 2003
    Snellville, GA
    Completely unrelated, but where do you go to school?

I'm in the Atlanta area too... Brookwood HS? in Gwinnett? Don't know if you know where that is...