Aah!! Powermac 6100 help needed!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Pipian, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Pipian macrumors regular

Apr 22, 2003
    I just bought a Powermac 6100, and It's missing the internal battery... What should I do? Is this the reason it isn't starting up with the monitor I have? (No picture)
  2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco
    I think the machine should still start up without the battery. You'd just lose your clock settings when you shut down. According to MacTracker, your machine uses a 3.6v litium battery, but I don't know what size. Try to get the battery, perhaps it is indeed the root of the no-video problem.
  3. boristhespider macrumors newbie

Jul 16, 2002
    That would indeed cause you to startup without video. I ran into the same problem with a 6100 about a year ago. After much gnashing of teeth and pulling of hair I replaced an old battery and video was restored. You can get a new battery at radio shack, or OWC has them online.
  4. ltgator333 macrumors member

Jul 6, 2003
    Albion, MI
    I had a 6100/66 with a dead battery for ages, the only thing it hurt was the clock settings. The thing seemed to always start up with no video. What I would do, even though this isn't prob the best idea, is turn on the switch til u hear the chime, then turn it off, then back on again and then the chime and video comes up. Worked for me for a while.

I did replace the battery eventually, don't recall if it helped the video at startup or not.. but I did get it from OWC for a few bux.
  5. Spock macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2002
    I dont care what Apple says my 6100 wont boot without the battery. check www.dvwarehouse.com in the parts ssction.
  6. Lucky736 macrumors 6502a

Jan 18, 2004