AARGH! Macbook total system freeze

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Grakkle, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Grakkle macrumors 6502a

Grakkle

Today my my Macbook had a total system freeze. It froze once at the wallpaper only stage when I tried to shut it down, and force quitting did not succeed.

I finally did get it to restart after putting it to sleep, waiting several minutes, and then force quitting again.

Then, when I tried to shut down once more it froze at the blank blue screen stage and stayed that way...and stayed...force quitting didn't work.

So I tried inserting the OSX install disc 1 and booting from that. It ate the disc, wouldn't boot, and wouldn't eject the disc either.

Got disgusted, closed the lid to put it to sleep so I could go off and moan. THE MACBOOK WOULD NOT EVEN SLEEP! Waited for it to do something, but nothing doing. So I finally unplugged it, popped out the battery, waited a few minutes, put the battery back in, and rebooted, which worked.

Now I'm in the midst of an OSX re-install in the hopes that it will fix whatever was screwed up. I am not at all pleased.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Very uncool. Do you have third party RAM? What exactly where you doing when this all started? What recent changes have you made to the machine? :)

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I've had my MacBook completely freeze twice now (although not recently).

I never did anything to provoke it. Hopefully both instances were just a fluke and it won't happen again.

4. Grakkle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Grakkle

I don't have third party RAM. It has 1gig of apple RAM. No other changes or major software installs.

I was shutting down the machine after a session - safari, mail, and itunes may have been open, but they weren't being used. Then the second time, after I finally got it to boot, I tried to shut down properly. Second time no apps were open when I tried shutting down.

The OSX reinstall seems to have worked so far. The Macbook actually seems faster and more responsive than with the original pre-installed os. Oddly enough, it seems to run cooler too. Anyone have any idea why that might be?

It seems unlikely, but I wonder if the pre-installed os was a bit corrupted.