Aargh. Someone doesn't want me to have an iBook...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Diatribe, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Pure venting... I'm trying to get my grandma an iBook. Had the first iBook sent back 1 week after the new ones were announced. Got that and now I see it has something behind the screen, or something. At first it looked like a dead pixel but it isn't it's something in the screen plastic or behind it. Now I have to send that in too. This is getting seriously annoying. What's with Apple's quality control nowadays? I guess my grandma isn't supposed to have an iBook. :( :mad:

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That sucks. I agree, they need to watch what they churn out of their factories. They seem to be lapsing a little recently. :(

I hope you're Grandma ends up with a perfectly working iBook, they're the sweetest!

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i know it sucks, but the more people that are buying means the more that the little mistakes are going to slip through QC's fingers, it happens although it is very frustration. good luck!

4. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

Just to be fair

The first time was just because the new ones came out, right? No quality control issues?

5. sambo. macrumors regular

sambo.

d'oh....
    for the premium you pay for apple stuff, they gotta get QC sorted out better... :eek:

6. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

That sucks. I hope it doesn't put your grandma off of macs.

Your grandma is lucky to have a grandson like you looking out for her. :)

7. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

No they don't, because everyone still buys them if they really want an Apple anyway.

8. Diatribe thread starter macrumors 601

Diatribe

Thanks all for the kind words. Yes the first one didn't have any problems, at least none that I saw (I used it only for 15 minutes). Anyway, I bought 4 laptops recently and two had issues. Not very good. We'll see, my grandma is so anxious to get it now she might as well take it this way. I know it would drive me mad but she might not care. We'll see I guess. Thanks again for the comments, it's when something like this happens one needs to vent a bit. :)

9. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

i think its cool your getting your grandma an ibook. cant you just take it to the apple store? you'll get it squared away. relax and have a beer with her or a cognac :D it seems with family memebers (the older wiser ones) what they really want is you to listen to them talk.

10. ajampam macrumors regular

ajampam

What was the actual problem with it? Sorry to hear about it man...I can only imagine the frustration, hope things take a turn for the better!!!!

11. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

yes they do. i wouldnt buy a mac with a dead pixel or anything that looked like one. i refused an iMac G5 because of a dead pixel when i got my girlfriends iMac. they were offering $200 dollars off the price tag and i just couldnt do it. dead pixals are obnoxious as hell.

hey Diatribe to make you feel better i spent a week running all over southern california looking for a 20" iMac when they first came out. every night after work i would run here and there. even when they said they had one on hold for me, when i got there it was the wrong model. your grandma will get one eventually and she'll no doubt be happy. but i have to ask, will the screen work out for her? im sure it will.

12. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

I recently convinced a friend of mine to go with an iBook rather than a Dell laptop. Because he had no prior experience with any Mac other than our school's old, terrible (and now junked) Power Mac 5300s, my sister in law and I took him to an Apple Store to look at iBooks. Sure enough, he loved them, and promptly ordered a new (as of May) 12" iBook. Soon after, the iBook arrives, and he can't get it to play DVDs. So he took it to the Apple Store, and they found that his brand new 12" iBook had shipped with a CD-ROM drive by mistake. They replaced it, of course, but it was nearly enough to turn him away from Apple forever. Apple really needs to step up quality control on their laptops.

13. Diatribe thread starter macrumors 601

Diatribe

Nope, no Apple stores around. At least not yet.

As I said, I guess I'll just give it to her in this condition and let her decide. It's not like she can't send it in later.

Again, thanks for all the condolences ;) It's just an annoying thing to see but I think she won't even notice or care. We'll see.

14. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Morgen,

Nice to read that you're getting Omi an iBook :) , sorry for the issues and hope she sill enjoy it soon.

That's cool. iOmi ;)

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I wish the best of luck. If it is a dead pixel, it depends on where it's located. I was going to get a 20" LCD that had a dead pixel, located in a place that was barely noticeable. Would have kept it but my Mac can only run a 17".

16. appletime macrumors member

Sorry to hear about your misfortunes. I agree with the others that Apple should step up their Quality Control department. As a reputable brand, they sure are making a lot of mistakes.

I got my Uncle to switch to Mac, and he bought a "15 Powerbook. After a couple of days of usage he wasn't able to play music or watch dvd's. He had a problem with his superdrive. After complaining to Apple, it took them 3 days to get back to him, and it took another 2 weeks for them to fix his Powerbook problem. He wasn't very impressed. He spent $2,300 on a laptop and instead what he got was problems.

Do you think Apple knows that their quality control is slipping? It's a little disappointing to know that after spending big bucks on a new computer there's a chance you're going to have problems with it..

17. sambo. macrumors regular

sambo.

but not for much longer.....
    mmmm, home-built quad opteron, uber-funk grafix card and ball-tearing amounts of RAM..... osx86 bring it on...... :D