Aargh! Why won't the iPod unmount??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Diomedes, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Diomedes macrumors 6502

Why doesn't the iPod unmount properly sometimes?

Every so often, after syncing, the iPod won't unmount. Trying to manually unmount it from the Finder gives me the message below. Even ejecting it from iTunes doesn't work.

How can I force an iPod to eject in a situation like this? Anyone else seeing this?

Attached Files:

2. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

Do you have any other programs that are using data on the iPod?

3. Diomedes thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope. I even checked out iSync, since I know it has a habit of adding my iPods automatically sometimes.

4. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

Hm...
    Listen to the iPod and see if it has any hard drive noise.
    If it does, then it is being accessed by something. Otherwise, I'm not really sure.

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Just put the system to sleep, then remove. It will give you a warning in Finder after you disconnect it, but it won't damage the iPod. Otherwise, you can shutdown, and then you won't have to worry about the error.

TEG

6. damson34 macrumors 6502

It seems to me to be some services in iTunes not shutting down properly. I have had that numerous times and just remove it anyways. I also have the problem with the iPod software locking up sometimes and creating the same problem and not starting up after i remove it, just stays on the do not disconnect screen. Just reset it.

7. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

I might be a better idea to log out of the system and then disconnect it. Putting the system to sleep doesn't do anything in terms of stopping operation. Heck, it might be worse to do it when it's asleep.

BEN

8. Diomedes thread starter macrumors 6502

Isn't there some way in AppleScript (or another way) to force the drive to eject?

I've unplugged it even with the "Device Removal" warning, and it doesn't seem to harm the iPod (so far). I'd like to be certain that it isn't causing damage to them.