Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diomedes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
San Francisco
Why doesn't the iPod unmount properly sometimes?

Every so often, after syncing, the iPod won't unmount. Trying to manually unmount it from the Finder gives me the message below. Even ejecting it from iTunes doesn't work.

How can I force an iPod to eject in a situation like this? Anyone else seeing this?

Attachments

• Disk Eject Error.jpg
    Disk Eject Error.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 107

Diomedes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
San Francisco
AliensAreFuzzy said:
Do you have any other programs that are using data on the iPod?

Nope. I even checked out iSync, since I know it has a habit of adding my iPods automatically sometimes.

AliensAreFuzzy

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2004
Madison, WI
Hm...
Listen to the iPod and see if it has any hard drive noise.
If it does, then it is being accessed by something. Otherwise, I'm not really sure.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Just put the system to sleep, then remove. It will give you a warning in Finder after you disconnect it, but it won't damage the iPod. Otherwise, you can shutdown, and then you won't have to worry about the error.

TEG

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
TEG said:
Just put the system to sleep, then remove. It will give you a warning in Finder after you disconnect it, but it won't damage the iPod. Otherwise, you can shutdown, and then you won't have to worry about the error.

TEG

It seems to me to be some services in iTunes not shutting down properly. I have had that numerous times and just remove it anyways. I also have the problem with the iPod software locking up sometimes and creating the same problem and not starting up after i remove it, just stays on the do not disconnect screen. Just reset it.

saabmp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tacoma, WA
I might be a better idea to log out of the system and then disconnect it. Putting the system to sleep doesn't do anything in terms of stopping operation. Heck, it might be worse to do it when it's asleep.

BEN

Diomedes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
San Francisco
Isn't there some way in AppleScript (or another way) to force the drive to eject?

I've unplugged it even with the "Device Removal" warning, and it doesn't seem to harm the iPod (so far). I'd like to be certain that it isn't causing damage to them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.