Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
What cracks me up is Sorkin went APESH*T over a completely undirected remark by Cook.

Then Sorkin speaks for Cook in his "apology" saying "we" both went overboard.

Um no...

Sorkin went nuts. His Hollywood attitude ran way over anything Cook said. (I live and work in this industry - Earth to Sorkin -- This industry is made up of nothing but opportunists L O L! You would NEVER have made this film if it hadn't presented a GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY to make a film about Steve Jobs. Dude your remarks were reminiscent of a creative guy having a hissy fit and totally overreacting to the sum of NOTHINGNESS.

Grow up and be a man and keep your apology singular! Speak only of yourself.

Do you think Cook isn't an opportunist either? Or are we just going to talk about Sorkin?

nutjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2010
What kind of a CEO slanders art? Next he'll be burning books because he doesn't agree with them.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Sorkin is the one having the self-inflicted PR meltdown after falsely accusing someone of engaging in child slave labor. Why not talk about him?

Not someone. A company. And not self-inflicted. How anyone can think Tim wasn't talking about all movies about Jobs coming out is beyond me. It was inclusive of Sorkin's work. Something he put time and energy about. Do I think Sorkin was harsh - yes. But he's since apologized. He was speaking in hyperbole with his rant. If someone honestly believed his comment at face value, well - that says more about the person making that interpretation.

Tim could have been more politically correct and just said he hasn't seen it or doesn't really care to comment because his memories of Jobs are first hand. Or a multitude of things. He didn't - he was dismissive. That was his right and his opinion. But let's not act like Sorkin has no right to be offended by his comment.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
So a pathetic Hollywood jerk, uses calling Tim Cook names to get self promotion for his crap movie. Yeah never have seen that before - invoke Jobs, Apple, Cook for headlines, click bait or whatever. But I'm sure Sorkin's mother likes his movie.
Sarcasm? If not then this
15108135.jpg

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
How anyone can think Tim wasn't talking about all movies about Jobs coming out is beyond me. It was inclusive of Sorkin's work.

Well of course it is beyond you, what a surprise. Ultimately it's irrelevant though as it doesn't change the fact that he has not addressed Sorkin or his movie personally, nor has he said that all of the film makers are being opportunistic. Those things are up to your personal interpretation, which takes me back to the beginning of my post...

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
What kind of a CEO slanders art? Next he'll be burning books because he doesn't agree with them.

Yes totally, because he's demanding for those movies to be banned. I assume "Jobs" & co. aren't available on iTunes then?? Oh wait... *facepalm*

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
So a pathetic Hollywood jerk, uses calling Tim Cook names to get self promotion for his crap movie. Yeah never have seen that before - invoke Jobs, Apple, Cook for headlines, click bait or whatever. But I'm sure Sorkin's mother likes his movie.
Oh yeah. Sorkin AND this movie needs extra publicity...

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Well of course it is beyond you, what a surprise. Ultimately it's irrelevant though as it doesn't change the fact that he has not addressed Sorkin or his movie personally, nor has he said that all of the film makers are being opportunistic. Those things are up to your personal interpretation, which takes me back to the beginning of my post...

Your opinion that it's irrelevant. Sorkin, as a creator of one of the movies within a group about Steve Jobs is included. Tim didn't say - all of these movies except sorkin's are opportunistic.

And I am sure that if someone included you or your work in a similar vain - by name or not, you would just let it roll off your back and assume it wasn't about you too. /sarcasm

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
Your opinion that it's irrelevant. Sorkin, as a creator of one of the movies within a group about Steve Jobs is included. Tim didn't say - all of these movies except sorkin's are opportunistic.

And I am sure that if someone included you or your work in a similar vain - by name or not, you would just let it roll off your back and assume it wasn't about you too. /sarcasm

Again, he did neither address the movie specifically nor criticize all of the movies globally. A pathetic "sarcasm" tag doesn't really change those facts.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Again, he did neither address the movie specifically nor criticize all of the movies globally. A pathetic "sarcasm" tag doesn't really change those facts.

Ok. Whatever you say. Clearly you know everything and exactly what Tim meant. Have a great night.

mbh

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
Not someone. A company.

Wrong. The quote was

Third, if you've got a factory full of children in China assembling phones for 17 cents an hour you've got a lot of nerve calling someone else opportunistic.

This is clearly referring personally to Tim Cook because he's the one who called these movies opportunistic.

And not self-inflicted.

Someone forced Sorkin to accuse Tim of using child slave labor? He's not in control of the words coming out of his mouth?

Tim could have been more politically correct and just said he hasn't seen it or doesn't really care to comment because his memories of Jobs are first hand. Or a multitude of things. He didn't - he was dismissive. That was his right and his opinion. But let's not act like Sorkin has no right to be offended by his comment.

Here is Tim's statement:

I haven't seen them, but the Steve I knew was an amazing human being. He's someone that you wanted to do your best work for. He invented things that I think other people could not. He saw things other people could not. He had the uncanny ability to see around the corner, and to describe the future, not an evolutionary future, but a revolutionary future. And he was a joy to work with. And I love him dearly and miss him every day. I think a lot of people are trying to be opportunistic and I hate this. It's not a great part of our world.

He said he hadn't seen them. This is a very general statement and does not address Sorkin directly at all. Sorkin stuck his foot in his pompous mouth and now he doesn't like the way it tastes.

Reactions: ErikGrim

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
Ok. Whatever you say. Clearly you know everything and exactly what Tim meant. Have a great night.

I'm just going by what he actually said, you're the one feeling free to read things into his words with the expected conclusion :) . You have a great night as well.

Reactions: uberzephyr

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Wrong. The quote was

This is clearly referring personally to Tim Cook because he's the one who called these movies opportunistic.

Someone forced Sorkin to accuse Tim of using child slave labor? He's not in control of the words coming out of his mouth?

Here is Tim's statement:

He said he hadn't seen them. This is a very general statement and does not address Sorkin directly at all. Sorkin stuck his foot in his pompous mouth and now he doesn't like the way it tastes.

On point one - I concede. You're right.

No - it wasn't self-inflicted because Tim's comment could definitely be interpreted to refer to any/all Jobs movies - of which, Sorkin was one of the creators of.

Tim's statement could have ended before his dismissive statement. He didn't need to add the comment about them being opportunistic - or that he hated that. Or that it's not a great part of this world. By doing so - he left himself open to be attacked by someone close to the art he was dismissing.

Tim had every right to state his opinion. What I find rather silly are those on here that believe Sorkin had no right to respond. Or that Tim's comment wasn't even remotely obnoxious or condescending or whatever word you want to use. For the CEO of a company that prides itself on craftsmanship, design, spending time to get things perfect - to "easily" dismiss someone's labor of love is a bit not-so-nice.

Again - he could have stated everything he did and left the last part off. But he didn't.

nutjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2010
Yes totally, because he's demanding for those movies to be banned. I assume "Jobs" & co. aren't available on iTunes then?? Oh wait... *facepalm*

Cook is the CEO of a large, well known corporation. He has lots of influence in popular culture. He hasn't seen the movie and yet he denounced it. That'll stop people seeing it and it is exactly like burning books in the sense that people won't see the art that someone has created.

It's all together a shameful episode for Cook.

Reactions: Lolito

mbh

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
No - it wasn't self-inflicted because Tim's comment could definitely be interpreted to refer to any/all Jobs movies - of which, Sorkin was one of the creators of.

Irrelevant. Sorkin chose to say what he said in response. He could have said he disagreed or Jobs is an important historical figure or something, but he chose to accuse Tim of using child labor.

What I find rather silly are those on here that believe Sorkin had no right to respond.

I don't have a problem that he responded. I have a problem with the way he responded: with false accusations of illegal deeds.

Or that Tim's comment wasn't even remotely obnoxious or condescending or whatever word you want to use.

Tim wanted to say he didn't like to see people profiting off his dead friend's name/life. I think he did so about as gently as possible.

Reactions: gijoeinla

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Irrelevant. Sorkin chose to say what he said in response. He could have said he disagreed or Jobs is an important historical figure or something, but he chose to accuse Tim of using child labor.

I don't have a problem that he responded. I have a problem with the way he responded: with false accusations of illegal deeds.

Tim wanted to say he didn't like to see people profiting off his dead friend's name/life. I think he did so about as gently as possible.
I'm glad you know what Tim was thinking.

gijoeinla

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Do you think Cook isn't an opportunist either? Or are we just going to talk about Sorkin?

Professionally?? Yea duh. He's in charge of the most valuable corporation in history. It's his fiduciary responsibility to be professionally opportunistic. And btw Cook PERSONALLY doesn't employ ANY underage children in factories in China. Get it?

So Personally? No.

Sorkin IMO is opportunistic personally AND professionally. It's his nature to be so.

Maybe you missed the whole part where Cook NEVER mentioned ANYONE PERSONALLY and never singled out one project, book, documentary SEPARATELY..

Yea so it's all Sorkin and Sorkin alone.

gijoeinla

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Exactly. Period.

gijoeinla

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
On point one - I concede. You're right.

Tim's statement could have ended before his dismissive statement. He didn't need to add the comment about them being opportunistic - or that he hated that. Or that it's not a great part of this world. By doing so - he left himself open to be attacked by someone close to the art he was dismissing.

Tim had every right to state his opinion. What I find rather silly are those on here that believe Sorkin had no right to respond. Or that Tim's comment wasn't even remotely obnoxious or condescending or whatever word you want to use. For the CEO of a company that prides itself on craftsmanship, design, spending time to get things perfect - to "easily" dismiss someone's labor of love is a bit not-so-nice.

Again - he could have stated everything he did and left the last part off. But he didn't.

Dude who's saying Sorkin "had no right to respond". Maybe the clouds from the bong on the table is clouding your ability to read people's remarks clearly.

Bottom line -- Sorkin PERSONALLY attacked TIM COOK... Singled him out... It's all caps so you can clearly see my and others points. You can't argue that SORKIN used a really LOW BLOW in a PERSONAL attack on Cook and Cook as the chairman and CEO of Apple...

Sorkins remarks were PERSONAL IN NATURE, OFFENSIVE, UNWARRANTED - UNPROVOKED - BELOW THE BELT, UNPROFESSIONAL, ETC ETC ETC ETC.

What the heck has Cook got to be sorry for ???

NOTHING.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
Cook is the CEO of a large, well known corporation. He has lots of influence in popular culture. He hasn't seen the movie and yet he denounced it. That'll stop people seeing it and it is exactly like burning books in the sense that people won't see the art that someone has created.

It's all together a shameful episode for Cook.

He has not denounced the movie at all. He didn't comment on the quality of it. He didn't address Sorkin OR the movie directly.

He did give a personal statement on the situation of several Jobs movies being made right after Steve Jobs death. His involvement and history with Steve Jobs justifies personal comments without doubt and I'm glad that he doesn't follow the (irrelevant) demands of people like you to give up any personal opinion in public, even if his speeches will be turned against him like it has happened over the last few pages here.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Is "walk back" an American way of saying "take back"? I feel like I'm in the twilight zone, having never seen anybody use those words to describe taking back a comment, and yet now I've seen it three times on one page.

I still don't feel right with these movies trying to portray Steve Jobs. I did enjoy Pirates of Silicon Valley, but these other movies just seem to be trying too hard. Maybe this movie is good? I don't know, and I don't know if I can bring myself to watch it. It feels too disrespectful to the man that is Steve Jobs, a man that was a leader and inspiration for so many of us. A man that had vision and could see far into the future, and held gold standards for everything. Just imagine what our world would be like if Apple had not made a comeback and set these standards on such a large scales, getting the attention of the rest of the tech world, and giving them something to reach for.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If you're like me, I wanted to hear more about Tim's take on who Steve was as a human....

Really enjoyable interview/article/narrative about just that. Really fascinating and gives you a sense of who he really was... and maybe not so cold after all. http://www.fastcompany.com/3042432/the-steve-jobs-you-didnt-know-kind-patient-and-human

There's a difference between being cold and being brutal. Steve was brutal. No holds barred. He'd fire someone on the spot if he didn't think they were a good fit for Apple, and Apple needed that type of leadership.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.