Aaron Sorkin Completes Screenplay for Isaacson-Based Steve Jobs Biopic

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 13, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Aaron Sorkin, screenwriter of the movie based on Walter Isaacson's Steve Jobs biography, has completed his screenplay and submitted it to Sony, according to Variety. Sorkin -- who is well known for his work on The West Wing and The Social Network, was tapped to write the script back in the spring of 2012.

[​IMG]
    Later that year, Sorkin revealed that he was planning to have the movie take place across three 30-minute scenes, with each scene taking place behind the scenes of a major product launch. He mentioned the launches of the original Mac, the NeXT cube, and the iPod, but it is not known if Sorkin has kept to that plan.

Sorkin has said that biographies have a natural "cradle-to-grave structure" that is very difficult to overcome, but that he was hoping to write something more unique with the Steve Jobs film. The Sorkin/Isaacson/Sony project is entirely separate from the Ashton Kutcher-led film that was released in 2013.

Article Link: Aaron Sorkin Completes Screenplay for Isaacson-Based Steve Jobs Biopic

2. macrumors 6502a

ZacNicholson

He's been dead for awhile. I don't think these people are doing it to show the life of jobs. They are just doing it for the money.

3. macrumors newbie

Can't wait

I just can't wait to see what comes out of it.

4. macrumors regular

Macrolido

5. macrumors 6502

Excited for this... even more so after the disappointment that was Jobs (the Ashton film, not Steve lol)

6. macrumors demi-god

Shrink

By that logic, pretty much all historical biopics are suspect.:rolleyes:

7. macrumors 6502a

Sorkin's screenwriting for "The Social Network" was excellent. I think it would be nice that film's director, David Fincher, also directed this upcoming Isaacson-based Steve Jobs biopic.

8. macrumors 6502a

What's the point of this statement?

Are there people that somehow thought movie companies were non-profits? I don't understand.

9. macrumors 68000

That's how I feel. It's all about the money. I won't see any of these movies despite being a longtime apple enthusiast. That being said, I hope the do a better job than the other movies which weren't all that accurate according to those in the know such as Woz...

10. Contributing Editor

jlgolson

Yeah, I mean, they just came out with that Abraham Lincoln movie and he's been dead for a long time.

11. macrumors 6502

UnfetteredMind

From the details that leaked fairly recently around the original iPhone launch, I would think that would be a very good scene to use. That said, I don't recall I've ever seen or read anything about the NeXT Cube launch so that could be very cool to see.

12. macrumors 68000

Lincoln was a much more influential person to the history of our country than Jobs. But yeah, I guess I get your point.

13. macrumors 68030

macs4nw

So at the very least another 12-18 mos before any possible movie will hit the theatres?

14. macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

I thought making such a film soon after Jobs' death was a tasteless money-grab, now it's disrespectful to wait a little while first? :confused:

15. macrumors newbie

yep. maybe longer...They said sorkin submitted the script but who knows if the studio will be happy with it or possibly want rewrites (either by him or bringing in someone else to rewrite it). But yeah, at a minimum a year I would bet. Unless they already have director, actors, etc setup and were just waiting for the script, but i doubt that.

16. macrumors 65816

DisMyMac

They're probably waiting for the nMP to arrive.

17. macrumors 68040

Gasu E.

Sure; but what has Lincoln done lately?

18. macrumors P6

Movies are made to make money? Seriously? They aren't made for free to simply bring pure enjoyment to the public?

19. macrumors member

Anything to take the bad taste of "jOBS" off my pallet.

20. macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

21. macrumors 6502a

springsup

Never saw the Kutcher movie (knew it would be rubbish).

This one I will see, though. Sounds as interesting as a trip to folklore.org (yep, you can thank me for eating the rest of your day!)

22. macrumors 6502

With Sorkin doing it can I expect a lot of walk and talk scenes as well as clipped dialogue ala Sports Night, Studio 60, and Social Network? The problem with his stuff is that a lot of his characters, real or fictional, are the same. I want to see a Steve Jobs biopic, not Sorkin's idea of how people are supposed to talk.

By the way, I loved Sports Night.

23. macrumors 6502

If I am not mistaken he won an Academy Award for Best Screenplay for the Social Network.

24. HMI, Jan 13, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014

HMI
    macrumors 6502a

HMI

25. macrumors 68040

If he didn't kill all those vampires back then, we would have a lot more vampires to deal with today.