ABA: Bush violating Constitution

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jul 25, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

AP

ho-hum, just another day and another broken law in the bush white house. now let's do some clinton bashing! :rolleyes:

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

This is some really terrific Orwellian double-talk. Bush is violating the Constitution, but his supporters are out there claiming that Congress' laws are "pushing" the boundaries of the Constitution, and Bush, by way of his signing statements, is actually upholding the law (or at least presidential authority).

That is just a masterful piece of inverse logic.

The Reagan part did not surprise me one bit. And Alito? Just one more reason to be very, very worried that he's on the high court.

3. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

That being said, I really wish the ABA would be clearer on what they are - an independent organization that claims to represent lawyers (but really only some) and enforces a legal monopoly outside of CA. I for one plan on never joining....

Sorry, I just get annoyed with the ABA and how many people end up thinking that I have to join to be a lawyer....

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I blame the Republicans one for letting King George do anything he wants, then pretending to be interested at election time. Republicans have become worse then the democrats they replaced. We need to throw out this president and his rubber stamp Congress. Its the only solution. This isnt how our Govt is suppose to work. Bush making his own law as he goes.

5. Queso macrumors G4

As iGary once posted, everyone in November should vote against the incumbent. Kick them all out and get some new blood in.

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I must Agree, I dont really see either party representing what is important to us that love our country. The Senate is 100% out of touch on everything from our borders to letting this shameful president get us into a needless conflict in Iraq to not challenging Draft dodging Dick Cheneys policys that spew out of Bushies mouth. These professional career politicians are F......over this land of ours. Throw out all Incumbants and start over sounds good to me. I cant ever remember a Vice president with so much say,nor a President who can just make law on the Fly while using Thugs like Alqueda as an excuse for anything Cheney dreams up.

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Arlen Specter to introduce bill allowing Congress to sue Bush

CNN link

Note that this bill would only allow Congress to review Bush's signing statement policy and possibly sue him. There is no guarantee they will.

The question of how the Supreme Court would rule on it is an entirely other deal... :rolleyes:

8. iGary Guest

iGary

I'm confused - this thing has a name - "attachments," but everyone is acting like Bush is the only one that has ever done it? :confused:

9. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

substance of those statements aside, the article said that more than 50% of such attachments -- across all presidencies -- were authored by gw bush.

10. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

i don't like this bill, for the reason at which you hinted: it upsets the balance of powers. yes, bush has done a power grab, but imo the correct way to rememdy that is for congress to 1) grow some balls, and 2) roll back some (much?) of what bush has done to grab power.

what congress is contemplating is a power grab of their own. it just rubs me the wrong way.

11. iGary Guest

iGary

OK, so it is not the actual statement procedure, its what he is including in the statements.

Gotcha. Thanks. :)

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

More Republican stunts, these same fellas are the ones to blame for allowing the president 6 years of playing King. The Senate is nothing more then a bunch of gimmicks and spin and everyone of them are owned by the corporations. Selling us out at every chance they get. We need a new Senate if we are going get our Country back. The Senate are lifetime appointments it seems.

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

But does it necessarily follow that 100% of the Senate is out of touch on everything?

14. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I read that as it's more the shear amount of them and how they are being used. True, Congress probably making it's own power grab, but I still am respecting Arlen Spectre a little again. Glad it's a Republican doing it so they can't pull the whole "liberal conspiracy" thing. Well, as much.

15. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

spectre has a habit of barking at the administration for the press, then quieting down once the WH has had a chat with him.

afaic, it's the content moreso than the volume. but the volume is still important, as it reflects a widespread disregard of the law. it's still that disregard which is the objectionable thing.

16. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I know. That's why I said a little. Fool me once and all. But at least he puts on a show and bring some stuff up.

Yeah, but considering he's done it more than all of the other Presidents combined with a Congress that has essentially given him a blank check on almost everything makes me wonder. Not saying the content isn't important too. Just that that part wasn't news to me. ;) :(

17. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I didn't mean to hint that the bill upset the balance of powers, only that the Supreme Court could quite likely side with Bush.

While agreeing that Congress has exacerbated this problem itself, the idea that they can roll back some of Bush's power grab may or may not be realistic. Suppose they clip his wings only to have him issue another signing statement indicating his feeling that he did not feel obligated to obey that order?