ABC Anchorman Peter Jennings dead of cancer

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by stubeeef, Aug 7, 2005.

1. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Working on links, but just reported his death now on TV.
    he was only 67.

I liked him ok, but was usually watching Brokaw. My prayers are with him and his family.
    I had heard that no one could get him to stop and his workmates were very frustrated that he would not stop smoking. It appears he died of lung cancer.Link

2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I just saw the report. Accidentally posted it.

I'm very shocked, I can't believe he's gone.

3. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Wow, this is very unexpected. Sad to see another face sucumb to the cancer sticks... :(

4. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

at least he went out doing what he enjoyed (smoking that is if he didn't want to quit he can live life the way he wanted) I like that in a person

sad to see him go nonetheless

5. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Wow that's too bad. My condolences go out to his family and friends :(

R.I.P.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I didn't think he would go this quickly, sad to see him die so young. This is another good reason not to smoke. This also marks the end of the evening news era Tom, Dan, and Peter all signed off within a year, for different reasons but still kinda shocking.

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

only one more of the reason we should start looking for better ways to cure cancer( that would be nice to see a Good way to solve cancer)

Bless

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The best way to cure his cancer would of been to never smoke but thats to be discussed somewhere else at another time.

9. amacgenius macrumors 68000

amacgenius

10. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I always lopve watching news reporters on dateline and other shows like that. He was cool.

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I heard he was sick, but I just saw him a couple of months ago. He looked fine. Guess you never know. Cigarettes have taken so many people I care about, glad I never started. Even if something else gets me, at least it wouldn't be something so easily preventable.

You were one of the good ones Mr. Jennings, you will be missed.

12. gammamonk macrumors 6502a

gammamonk

Does anyone have an old-skool photo of him? From the 70's or something? That would be pretty cool to see.

13. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Terrible news, but not surprising. When he announced he had cancer, and that it was inoperable, usually that means you don't have long left.

The real tragedy is that he did it to himself. Everyone knows smoking causes cancer and is destructive to the human body, yet people still do it - it's a long, drawn out suicide in a way... Do these people not care about their own heath at all? I think this is probably the worst way to die - dying because of some stupid, destructive habit which is completely preventable - how sad. :( But, that's a discussion for another thread...

Regardless, he will definitely be missed, he was one of a dying breed of journalists. I feel for his family and their loss. It is horrible to lose a loved one, regardless of the circumstances. :(

14. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Jennings (and Rather and Brokaw) may not have had the journalistic courage of an Edward R. Murrow or a Bill Moyers, but no one could doubt his professionalism. He traveled to where the stories were, he broadcast shows from mid-sized American cities in order to get out and understand the people better, and he was, with few exceptions, unruffled. I remember him looking up at the camera a couple of times and barely reacting to obvious flubs like misspelled on-air graphics. During the 9/11 disaster, he kept his cool after inadvertantly taking a live phone call from a "person on the scene" who turned out to be a crank caller. And as the towers fell, Jenning's only verbal comment was the same one we were all thinking: "Oh...my...God......"

As I said, he may not have been another Murrow, but he had a helluva lot more credibility than the mostly interchangeable "personalities" of Fox and CNN.

I was really hoping he'd be able to come back, even for a brief time.

He'll really be missed.

15. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Well said. I remember being a kid when Cronkite went off the air, and what a big deal it was to my Mom and her friends to no longer have him do the news. And I recall how sad I was when a local anchor and legend, Jerry Turner from WJZ in Baltimore, passed away. These people come into your homes every night and practically become a part of your family. Even though most of us never meet them, we feel like we know them.

16. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    There's an excellent piece on Peter Jennings, the correspondent and journalist rather than just his anchorman role, on the BBC website by John Simpson who worked with him in several war zones etc. It's well worth a read.

John Simpson's Memories of Peter Jennings

17. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Wow, I didn't even know he was sick (I don't watch too much TV, especially news). He was one of those icons that I grew up with, hard to imagine he's no longer around.

R.I.P.

D

18. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

It was extremely quick. He only anounced he had lung cancer a few months ago, and when he said that it was inpoperable, that means there is nothing anyone can do for him. With lung cancer especially, the cancer spreads quickly, so I knew at that time it was a matter of months, if that. At least he didn't have to suffer for years.

19. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

This came as a shock. Being at the age I am now, he was always the face of news. While some generations had Brinkley and Cronkite as the face of news, my generation has Jennings and Brokaw.

20. emw macrumors G4

emw

I knew it was coming after he announced he had lung cancer back in April, but it was shocking how fast it went. He must have been fairly far along in April.

I remember watching Jennings when he anchored the London desk as part of the old ABC news format with Frank Reynolds (who also died of cancer), and I respected him for his poise and personality.

He will indeed be missed.

21. iGary Guest

iGary

I rarely watch television anymore, but I gerw up with Peter - remember when he was the London bureau chief.

I actually got a little teary eyed this morning when Rob had the TV on and I was working in my office. :(

Rest peacefully, Peter.

22. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My prayers go out to the family and friends of Peter Jennings. May he rest in peace.

He just announced the diagnosis in April. So he had a very aggressive form of lung cancer.

23. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Yes, it is indeed an end to the evening news era of Tom, Dan, and Peter. Sad to say, Jennings was my favourite. Am really sad he's gone.

24. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Jennings loss hit me hard and I don't usually react that way to celebrity/TV star/news people's deaths. For whatever reasons, he connected with this viewer in a way no other broadcaster ever did. I remember watching one of his Saturday morning kids news specials with my niece and was awed the way he was able to relate to children on such serious and grown up issues. He will be missed.