ABC Begins Live Streaming Philly and NYC Stations via iOS App

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 14, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

American television network ABC has updated its iOS app with new live streaming television from local stations in Philadelphia and New York City. The change is an attempt to encourage viewers to keep their cable subscriptions as more and more users are ridding themselves of pay television and "cutting the cord", reports The New York Times.

Viewers will need to establish eligibility by verifying that they have an eligible pay-TV account with a local cable or satellite television company, and that they are within the local viewing area.

ABC may be expanding viewership on its iOS app, but it will be stepping back the availability of its shows through Hulu and, limiting access to paying cable and satellite subscribers.

The Walt Disney Company, which owns ABC, says its live stream will be available in six cities where Disney owns the local affiliates later this summer, plus 13 more markets where Hearst Television owns the local stations including Boston and Pittsburgh.

The company is negotiating with the conglomerates that own the more than 200 ABC affiliates to livestream those channels as well.

The Watch ABC app is available free for iPhone and iPad on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: ABC Begins Live Streaming Philly and NYC Stations via iOS App
  2. macrumors regular

May 22, 2002
    wait, does this mean i have to have cable to watch ABC on iOS?
  3. macrumors 601

Jan 6, 2004
    Western US
    That's what it sounds like. At least for this app.
  4. macrumors 68000

Jun 29, 2007
  5. macrumors newbie

Aug 22, 2012
    Austin, TX
  6. macrumors newbie

Sep 25, 2007
    I'm in Philly, and it looks like ABC has disabled video Airplay streaming. Bummer.
  7. macrumors 68020

Mar 15, 2012
    Just curious as to why you would want to use AirPlay since you have to have a cable subscription to use the service?
  8. macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2010
    One day, just think, all you need to hook up a TV is the power cable. Type in your wi-fi password and you're done. The rest is just firing up an app for the content you want to watch. That's my hopeful dream, and this stuff gets in the way of it. ^_^
  9. macrumors newbie

Sep 25, 2007
    Right now the app is a free trial with no cable subscription required. I'm waiting for Aereo to come to Philly this summer.
  10. macrumors 68030

Mar 25, 2011
    Wow I'm extremely impressed with only 3 bars of 4G the picture is crystal clear.
  11. macrumors 6502

Jun 7, 2007
    I'm not impressed at all. How does this help stem the cutting the cable cord movement? If it is true ABC/Disney is planning on limiting shows on hulu and it only makes me angrier.
  12. macrumors 68030

Mar 25, 2011
    But you don't need cable to get abc in HD.
  13. macrumors 603

Jun 4, 2007
  14. macrumors 68020

Jul 22, 2003
    Somewhere Else
    Which makes little sense when you consider this is a broadcast TV network. If it was USA or TNT I might understand.
  15. macrumors 6502a

szw-mapple fan

Jul 28, 2012
    In Japan you can watch most major TV shows and news for free with one-seg ( which is built-in on most japanese cell phones and smart phones.
  16. macrumors member

Oct 10, 2003
    Is anyone else confused about the roller coaster that appears to be built on the beach? How is that safe...
  17. dXTC, May 15, 2013
    Last edited: May 15, 2013

macrumors 68000

Oct 30, 2006
    Up, up in my studio, studio
    It isn't safe. Take a look at some of the textual clues in that pic, and you'll discover that this news shot is from the aftermath of Superstorm Sandy, which devastated coastal New Jersey last year. That roller coaster was on a pier over the ocean; the storm caused a large portion of the pier to collapse, and the coaster fell into the sea. It was perhaps the most iconic image of that weather event.

Here's another image of the coaster in the water, from a different angle. (The coaster will soon be dismantled and removed.)

18. macrumors member

Sep 3, 2012
  19. macrumors member

Oct 10, 2003
    WOW! I must have totally missed that part of the news, thanks for filling me in! :eek:
  20. macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Next Step

Put decent programming on ABC stations.