ABC News Comes to Apple TV with Live and On-Demand Video, Local News, and Historical Footage [Updated]

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 24, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

ABC News is launching a new Apple TV channel today, bringing access to live and on-demand content to Apple's set-top box. The channel offers a variety of news and entertainment offerings, including local news in select markets and access to five decades of historical footage from ABC's archives. As with many of the recent channel additions to the Apple TV, ABC News is only available to users in the United States for the time being, although ABC says availability will expand worldwide "in the coming weeks".

Among the features on the new ABC News channel:

- 24/7 access to live and on-demand video with four separate live video streams to choose from.

- Video news updates on the hour and four to five live reports per day to cover breaking news.

- Local content from nine television stations around the United States: WABC (New York), KABC (Los Angeles), WLS (Chicago), WPVI (Philadelphia), KGO (San Francisco), KTRK (Houston), WTVD (Raleigh), KFSN (Fresno), and WISN (Milwaukee).

- Curated stories and videos highlighting the top news stories of the moment, updated throughout the day.

- 50 years of historical footage from ABC News' archives, including "This Week in History" and "The Day in Pictures" features.

The Disney/ABC/ESPN media conglomerate has had a close relationship with Apple for a number of years, driven in large part by Disney's acquisition of Pixar, which was owned by Steve Jobs. As a result of the transaction, Jobs became Disney's largest individual shareholder and retained a seat on Disney's board of directors.

The fruits of that relationship can be seen on Apple TV, which offers an existing Watch ABC channel, a trio of Disney television channels, a Watch ESPN channel, and three channels (A&E, Lifetime, History) from Disney/ABC's joint venture with Hearst Corporation. Disney is also a part owner of the Hulu subscription service that is available on Apple TV.

Update 7:08 AM: In addition to ABC News, several other new channels have appeared on Apple TV today, including PBS Kids, AOL On, and Willow, a sports channel dedicated to international cricket. The Flickr channel has also been redesigned.

Article Link: ABC News Comes to Apple TV with Live and On-Demand Video, Local News, and Historical Footage [Updated]
  2. macrumors 68000

Jul 3, 2007
  3. macrumors regular

Jul 28, 2010
    I strongly believe that for each day that pass by with Apple not launching App Store for Apple TV they keep losing momentum against the competitors in the TV industry.
  4. macrumors 6502a

Feb 7, 2011
  5. macrumors 6502

Jan 3, 2002
    ABC Easy as 1, 2, 3... Keep growing that library Apple. Now give me access to my iOS games please!!!!
  6. macrumors 6502a

Jul 6, 2007
    It looks like they have more historical content than the History Channel app.
  7. macrumors 68020

Cuban Missles

Dec 6, 2012
    My heart is in Camagüey, the rest in the USA
    Do I need a cable subscription for this or is this finally a free channel?
  8. macrumors 6502a

Jul 11, 2007
    RT as in the Russian propaganda channel?
  9. losthorse, Jun 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2014

macrumors member

Nov 19, 2012
  10. macrumors 68040

Jan 15, 2008
    Holocene Epoch
  11. macrumors 68000

Jun 20, 2007
    I would suspect they'll ask for a cable provider login. The only channel that didn't I think was PBS, which still asked you to authenticate to an email address.
  12. macrumors 601

Dec 8, 2011
    East Central Florida
    I would like to buy the next Apple TV
    I feel like it is too late to be worth buying the current version
  13. macrumors 603

Aug 4, 2011
    Meh. NexusQ launched with no revolution.

Amazon FireTV launched with no apparent revolution.

Either market at large isn't interested, or still not done right.
  14. macrumors 68020

May 19, 2011
    Leicestershire, UK
    How about stop adding loads of random channels (which barely anybody uses) and give us an Apple TV App Store!?

That way, lots more developers and broadcasters can create channels and users can pick and choose which they have installed on their Apple TV.
  15. macrumors 603

Jun 19, 2009

i'm sure that thousands of people can't wait to go to work daily to make TV for you to watch for free
  16. macrumors 6502

May 12, 2009
    Space Coast FL
    The networks make their $$$ from commercials
  17. macrumors 6502a

Jan 23, 2009
    If it doesn't work outside of the United States, it's useless to me.
  18. macrumors 68030

Oct 6, 2008
    Ah finally, I have my dedicated channel to watch cricket.
  19. macrumors 6502a

Jan 23, 2009
    Yet they do.
  20. macrumors 6502

Mar 9, 2010
    I'd like to know that as well. I'm not a cable/sat subscriber and don't intend to be. Not gonna pay for 200 channels that are mostly junk I have no use for.
  21. macrumors 68030

Oct 6, 2008
    #21 do realize that abc, nbc, fox and others broadcast over the air for "free." Advertisers pay a lot of money to get a few seconds of air time.

You just have to buy an antenna...
  22. macrumors newbie

Sep 23, 2013

May I know what channel is provided in Apple TV to watch Cricket? Are there any subscription options available. Please let me know.

23. macrumors regular

Sep 22, 2006
    Always good to see more channel options for Apple TV.
  24. macrumors 68020

Jan 9, 2007
    I'm really excited about all those incredible Fire TV games that were announced at E3 this year.

Oh wait, that didn't happen.
  25. macrumors 65816

Aug 28, 2013
    Apple TV just keeps getting better and better. And only Apple can do this because they control the hardware and software experience.