Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
RT has no integrity whatsoever. You've GOT to be kidding. It's a state owned Kremlin propaganda machine. Yeah, CNN and FOX are crap, but you can watch SkyNews on your AppleTV, and WSJ Live, plus you can watch NHK World, you can watch France24, you can watch Deutsch Welle (the latter three of which can be streamed via AirPlay to your AppleTV), and if you do have cable, you can watch BBC World. Plus there's BBC World Service radio.

P.S. CNN International is better than CNN U.S.

Yeah, I saw about 5 minutes of RT, and that was enough. RT is nothing but propaganda. At least Fox, NBC, and CNN are factually correct, even though Fox and NBC are very biased and CNN keeps reporting unimportant stories. A good way to get a whole view is use good news sources with different biases rather than trying to find one unbiased one. Fox for right-wing, NBC for left-wing, and BBC for neutral facts. You'd be surprised to find that even ABC leaves out facts and arguments that one of the more biased channels would put in.

babaroga73

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2014
Well...

Euro news would be nice .... allthough it is on podcasts ....

On that note , how the hell do I change F to C on Weather Chanell on ATV ?

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
...what would be the difference if Amazon Prime was directly on Apple TV instead of just through Airplay?

You need a new iPhone or new Mac to use Airplay, and it's also inconvenient to have to use TWO devices to stream a movie. What if you just buy an Apple TV by itself and don't own a new Mac or iPhone? Too bad, no Amazon Video for you, even though any TV sold today can do it.

----------

Agree CNBC, MSNBC and Fox News spewing "truthworthiness" about the current state of delusion in this country is just peachy. :rolleyes:

It's fine if you don't watch just one of them. Fox + NBC alone gives you full coverage of the U.S. news. If you watch only one, of course you'll get nothing but arguments for one of the two major U.S. political parties. They even slant the non-political news like the Treyvon Martin incident (look up the lawsuit against NBC).

Last edited by a moderator:

kds1

Suspended
Feb 17, 2013
New York, New York
I'm very certain Cricket is of very little interest to the vast majority of the U.S. population, yet, Apple added an all Cricket channel. Your theory/complaint was invalid even before you typed it.

+1∞

Yes, Apple does not control any of the TV and movie content. They have to get licensing deals. Here's a little tidbit on why BBC has no interested in being on Apple TV... yes, BBC rejects Apple. So go look for the problem inside your own countries rather than conveniently blaming Apple.

Seriously. I wanted BBC World on AppleTV but the BBC is notoriously behind the curve when it comes to what's new/next. The last time they did something that was forward thinking in technology was when they stopped short wave terrestrial transmission of the World Service to North America and Australia in favor of internet transmission instead. Oh well, BBC's loss. I watch SkyNews International now and am pretty satisfied with it.

PM-Performance

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2012
i'm sure that thousands of people can't wait to go to work daily to make TV for you to watch for free

And the fact that if everyone had cable, why would we need an app on an apple tv to show the same content when we could just watch it on tv?

I cut the cord a few months ago, and this annoys me with all the apps. I would even pay for a single subscription to certain channels, but everything needs a cable provider which is pointless.

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
They are one of the richest companies in the world with literally 1,000's of developers and this device has been out for how long? As an IT Professional, your point doesn't apply to Apple and how much they've ignored the Apple TV. With the amount of resources and time they've had these issues could have been "easily" solved and sorted out if they actually cared enough to do it, but they don't.

I disagree. The amount of resources you have to throw at a problem isn't the end-all-be-all of how long it takes to resolve that problem. If you want to do something right, sometimes you have to wait on certain things.

To address a single specific pain point, Apple has slowly been introducing and encouraging the use of auto-layout for app developers. This recent WWDC even introduced lots of new auto-layout features. Don't you think they have Apple TV in mind? Wouldn't it be outrageously better to launch an Apple TV App Store that is immediately populated with thousands of auto-layout iOS apps than to launch it with just a handful?

----------

I have an Android box which does all of this. It has 16GB of RAM for the apps, and the apps come straight from Google Play.

It has LAN, USB ports, wifi, bluetooth, and an SD card reader for connectivity.

I can download the apps I want to use, the games I want to play, and consume media the way I want. It's a great device, and I hate myself more than you can know.

If Apple were to bring out a new ATV that could match this, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. But until then, I'll stick with my cheap little Android box, and let a little piece of my soul die every time I use it.

What is the name of your Android box?

And I can't believe it's got 16GB, but they say you can never have too much RAM. ;)

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
Do I need a cable subscription for this or is this finally a free channel?

All the apps for antenna TV channels tend to be free. ESPN, no way. I wish everyone would ditch cable so it would be back to watching sports on an antenna TV wherever you want. Even if paying for the service isn't a problem, the cable boxes always stink, and you can't watch your shows on the go usually. You need a cable subscription to watch USA vs Germany on Thursday! :mad:

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
Well clearly you have an opinion - fairly arrogant at that.

ABC already makes money through the sales of commercials that are imbedded within the programming. I already pay for internet service to deliver the video stream. So paying a for cable service to access this channel seems redundant and not something anyone should pay. This is simply a stupid defensive tactic by the cable networks that will backfire long term.

How is this going to backfire long-term? They're already making loads of money and have been for a long time because people somehow are willing to buy this junk. It's not very stupid if it's making them super rich. They've got the market in a headlock.

The thing that could backfire on them is that they put almost no effort into their cable boxes and push us away from them. Total s***. I was watching U.S. vs Portugal, and I accidentally changed the channel in the middle of a play. No "previous channel button", WTF. I pressed "menu" to go to the search because I don't memorize channel numbers (and shouldn't need to). It showed me an ad for Verizon movies! It took all my patience to not smash the remote in my hand. I looked around for the exit button and pressed it, proceeding to the search. I got lucky, and the search worked this time (it doesn't more than half the time). And this is after the box has been replaced 3 times for randomly bricking itself.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Apple TV just keeps getting better and better. And only Apple can do this because they control the hardware and software experience.

? I am pretty sure Roku and Amazon control the hardware and software on their respective box tops. Granted the apps creators (HBO, ABC, etc) control the software.....

I think you are confusing phones with these TV boxes.

dumastudetto

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
? I am pretty sure Roku and Amazon control the hardware and software on their respective box tops. Granted the apps creators (HBO, ABC, etc) control the software.....

I think you are confusing phones with these TV boxes.

Amazon is using Android on their boxes so they don't control it. They mess around with it yes and put their own layers on top of the UI, but they are at the mercy of third parties to a large degree. And Roku is nowhere near as buttery smooth as the Apple TV experience.

Apple is the clear market leader and they have a lot more planned for the television as we already know.

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2013
Copenhagen
A sports channel dedicated to international cricket - now that's something I've always wanted...

Bring on the App store for Apple TV already!

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2006
New Jersey
Antenna is free...

i'm sure that thousands of people can't wait to go to work daily to make TV for you to watch for free

TV always has been free.... remember the rabbit ears? People started paying for extra channels are now inclined to think no TV is free.

You can still get all major networks, plug lots of other channels, over the air for free. So the same broadcasts costs $$ through Apple TV is a frustration.

dmunz

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2010
Crap Remote

Apple TV will be bad until the day they get rid of that crap remote control. The thing is hard to hold onto and just too small.

TV is a man's game and manly men do not use tiny silver remotes... :D

FWIW
DLM

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
Yeah because thats what they discuss. :rolleyes:

That's what they were discussing when I turned on the TV a few days ago. OK, the nuclear war thing was exaggerated from how they were saying that the U.S. was war-happy, but they did discuss why Obama should be convicted of felonies (I use their wording).

----------

Apple TV will be bad until the day they get rid of that crap remote control. The thing is hard to hold onto and just too small.

TV is a man's game and manly men do not use tiny silver remotes... :D

FWIW
DLM

Yeah, Apple made the remote way too small. Darn thing keeps falling out of my hands and under the chair. At least the white iMac remote, which still works with the Apple TV by the way, isn't so thin on the edges that it's awkward to hold.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.