Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evansls

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2004
Leesburg, VA
awesome

I'm a big fan of lost and although i have a dvr that collects the videos and then I dump them to my ipod -- i think this is a great idea for those who don't want to pay $2 for something that airs on television for free or those who don't want to pay $12 a month for a rented dvr. i know about 6 people who would use this new service and i hope this idea branches out to other networks. anyway...

ImAlwaysRight

macrumors 6502a
Resolution kicks butt, but don't think this can be saved...

Macrumors said:
Broadcasts will be streamed using Flash 8, in either 500x282 at 400kbs or 700x394 at 700 kbps, both of which use the 16x9 aspect ratio.
Apple's iTunes TV shows I have seen (and I assume all shows) are broadcast in a 4x3 aspect ratio at only 320x240 resolution. Since this is 700x394 in 16x9 widescreen, this is a major upgrade from Apple's offering.

However, since it is a "streamed" broadcast in Flash 8, is there a way to save this after watching/downloading? Someone enlighten me if it can be saved.

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
I just wanted to add that I dislike Flash video... boo! And while I am at it... boo to commercials! If they are going to add commercials then the product should be free or discounted. Personally I have not gotten into buying shows as of yet, not till some sort of standard is worked out or at least till a video dedicated iPod comes out, if such a thing really does exist.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
maybe, but probably not

nbs2 said:
At the risk of being incredibly wrong and looking quite the fool - if they are not available on iTunes, I would expect a huge drop in the cashe of iTMS video sales. Most TV shows I watch once and that's good enough. If I can get it for free and on demand, I have no reason to watch it on my TV and I have no reason to pay for it. The only time I think I might want to keep a show I'd save money and buy the entire season. The only type of show that I can think of that would remain ideal for the iTMS format is the Hitchcock Presents format where each show is fully self contained - no character or story overlap.

That being said, I hope I'm wrong - maybe it will be on iTMS or at the least the Store will remain strong.

it would be interesting to know how many tv dloads from itms are used for students/commuters. i would see that as the only real value anyway. it would be great to see a show if you miss it or don't own a pvr (or have your mac set up to record tv :)

the biggest advantage for me would be commuting, if i had a job and wasn't a stay-at-home Dad.

i like that other players are experimenting with tv/movies. i love itms for some things and apple took the charge with music, but i've a firm believer in having more choices available.
don't get me wrong, i'm a huge apple fan.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
MrCrowbar said:
You can lower the framerate or overall quality to achieve a higher resolution with the same codec and bitrate. Sound can be compressed differently, too. I hope you will be able to watch full screen.
That is true, but TAANSTAFL, you don't get something for nothing. To maintain that bitrate and resolution, something has got to give. Do you think it's going to be the ads? :p

Anything less than 64kbps for the audio will sound like tin cans and string, so unless they go mono they can't go much below that. Dropping to 15 fps (from 30) would help too, and/or maybe it's interlaced video. blech.

This doesn't sound like it's going to be anywhere near DVD/broadcast quality, but I've been wrong before.

B

maverick18x

macrumors member
May 31, 2005
ImAlwaysRight said:
However, since it is a "streamed" broadcast in Flash 8, is there a way to save this after watching/downloading? Someone enlighten me if it can be saved.

Doubtful at best. Google Video and YouTube use Flash for video, and there's some lesser known hacks to try to resurrect a non-flash video file. However, I doubt this service could be hacked because "interactive comercials" are mentioned. I've done lots of web work in Flash -- not much video -- but it sounds like the files would be embedded and not referenced from an outside source.

rog

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Kalapana, HI
sounds pretty annoying to me with forced, interactive commercials. They ought to be PAYING people to watch that. What a bad idea. I guess it's ok if you missed an episode and don't have $2 for itunes, but inthat case, you probably don't have an internet connection fast enough for it to work.

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
maverick18x said:
Doubtful at best. Google Video and YouTube use Flash for video, and there's some lesser known hacks to try to resurrect a non-flash video file. However, I doubt this service could be hacked because "interactive comercials" are mentioned. I've done lots of web work in Flash -- not much video -- but it sounds like the files would be embedded and not referenced from an outside source.

Well, there's always the analog hole. Just set up a screen capture utility across the flash window, or if that doesn't work (ie, if Flash uses hardware "accelleration" for display) then you can spring money for a DVI capture device or set up a video camera to stare at the monitor.

The point here, though, is that these are all way too involved for your average person to bother with given the crap that you'd end up with at the end (yeah, Lost is great and all, but spend hours setting up this rig, devote sixty minutes of my computer to running it, and then spend twenty minutes futzing with it ... or spend $1.99 to get it handed to me essentially DRM-free?)

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
ABC won't have made it available to the rest of the world, so this will have to be a giant -

*YAWN*

FaasNat

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2002
Home
I like this idea. I don't mind watching the commercials if I am I able to download the show for free.

Actually, I wish the iTunes service would offer something like this. If it had free TV shows at a higher resolution and in 16:9 format (if available for the show) with commercials, I'd be down with that.

kntgsp

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
Bwahahahahahaha. Yea right. Interactive commercials. I'd rather stab myself with a rusty nail.

If I have to get my fix of a TV show that isn't sold on iTunes and need it immediately, there's something called a Tivo.

Screw that. I have enough patience for it to become available on DVD, iTunes, or a rerun for me to Tivo.

Not having to watch commercials........yea I think I have enough patience to ensure that.

j83com

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2006
Where I live?
brilliant

This is brilliant.
I like the direction they're taking the web.
Watch for free with commercials or pay a small fee for none.
I hope this works and grows.

David Sharpe

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2006
balamw said:
I'm confused by one thing, the article claims 4x the resolution of the iTMS videos at just about the same bitrate ~700 kbps. Either I'm missing something, Flash 8 is a better codec than H.264, or these videos will be full of compression artifacts.

B

Flash 8 is that much better codec, actually, On2's VP6 codec is that much better. VP6 is the new video codec in Flash 8. All being equal the file size is half that of H.264, or twice the quality at same file size. Interesting enough is On2 has already developed and released VP7, it is supposed to be a good bit better than VP6.

Apple did include VP6 codec as an update to QuickTime.

David Sharpe

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2006
ImAlwaysRight said:
Apple's iTunes TV shows I have seen (and I assume all shows) are broadcast in a 4x3 aspect ratio at only 320x240 resolution. Since this is 700x394 in 16x9 widescreen, this is a major upgrade from Apple's offering.

You will not be able to save the file, it is a separate file.

SnarkMan

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2005
I think we're missing the value of not having to be connected to watch iTMS videos. I buy a lot of videos from the Store and I always watch them in a situation where I don't have Net access (in a plane, in a subway, at the gym, etc.). Yes, I know the Net will soon be EVERYWHERE but I bet it will still be a lot more pleasant to watch a previously DL-ed video file.

$0 is cheaper than $2, but the convenience of the iTunes model seems much more appealing to me.

Freebart

macrumors member
May 14, 2003
Interactive Commercials?

Will it take longer than 60 minutes to watch an hour program with Interactive Commercials?

Click Here to Go to Our Advertiser's Website or Click Here to Continue with Our Show...

deadturtle

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2005
Still keeping my fingers crossed for the Stanley Cup, either via free with ads, or via iTunes....

PLEASE!?:D

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Our mission with this trial is to gather key learning about the technology and the consumers who utilize it in order for ABC.com to become the leading broadband digital entertainment experience, packed with innovative, immersive content for our viewers. In the months ahead, ABC.com will not only deliver a high quality, on-demand viewing experience to users, but will also gain valuable knowledge and research to help us better understand and serve our consumers in the rapidly evolving digital world.
Anybody else see a major difference between how the networks are handling the advent of broadband and how the music labels are?

Kudos to ABC. That's the way to look at this-- it's an opportunity. Experiment, take some risk, play around a little bit, find the formula and grow your profits. Don't look now, but this might even allow you to find a way of competing directly with cable.

I'm so tired of the stonewalling, sky is falling, everyone's-trying-to-rip-me-off greed mongers in the music industry. This is like a breath of fresh air.

It's times like this that whole markets get turned upside down and dumped on their heads. This is where everyone gets a fresh start and a little innovation far outweighs a ton of capital.

It also means fun times for consumers like us-- can't wait to see what happens in the next few years. I predict flying cars...

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Doctor Q said:
Why? Don't you want all three choices?

I expect that this will cut into the sales a bit, since we're clearing talking about the same audience: show fans who use online technology, but Disney-ABC is clearly happy to take your money directly or be paid by their advertisers. And this gives them one more way to sell ad time and collect viewers' attention.

I might even like to try their "interactive ads" and see whether they made them at all entertaining. Then the novelty will quickly wear off.

But Disney-ABC is the studio, so if they can get guaranteed ad money up front, perhaps they won't mind.

Thank you! I would love to see shows that I missed due to work (no, I don't have a DVR or VCR); but not willing to pay $1.99 to see them. I will live with the commercials.

If I want commercial free, then I would wait for the DVD sets to be rented.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Chip NoVaMac said:
I will live with the commercials.
Other than the $1.99 price, the only significant difference is the timing:

Watching a DVD, downloaded show, or recorded show: Watch as long as you like, pause whenever you like for a snack break, resume when you are back.

Watching a live show: Watch until the commercial starts, take your snack break at that time, be sure to be back just as the show resumes.

Watching an online ABC stream: Watch until either you want a break or a commercial starts. In you wanted the break, pause for a snack, resume when you are back. If a commercial starts, take a mandatory snack break, be sure to be back just as the show resumes.

phatpat88

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2005
Snapz pro?

With such high resolutions and bitrates, couldn't one just use something like Snapz pro to capture the window and save it for latr?

Then just FF through the commericals.

This video seems to be similar to the quality of a torrent no?

Although, this would be alot of work and processor time.

I am thinking its better just to pay :)

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Sounds like a nice option to have among others.

Good: Flash-based, higher-res, and free.

Bad: no downloads, no portability, and ads.

I can accept some compromises to be able to watch a show I missed.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I don't get the big deal about these Ads.

Sure, we see 10,000 of them per day, yet once they are on the computer, I'd rather cut off my arms and legs than watch it? :confused:

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
EricNau said:
Sure, we see 10,000 of them per day, yet once they are on the computer, I'd rather cut off my arms and legs than watch it? :confused:
I wonder if the ads will be louder than the show, as on network TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.