Abdominal Crunch Machine..Neck Issues...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iGary, May 19, 2006.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

OK, I'm definitely not a gym person, but I figure if I am ever going to get running again I have to do what the doctor tells me and get my hamstrings, abs, etc strong in order to get my back better supported, so I have been hitting the gym every morning early at 5 over the last few weeks.

Anyway, I usually do well with ab excercises, but doing crunches with this machine is kiling my neck (so obviously I am doing something wrong). Hints?

[​IMG]

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

In my limited knowledge of the subject -- if you are tensing your neck in order to do the crunch, then your technique is off. Get one of the trainers at the gym to go over machine setup and proper technique with you.

It's not easy to isolate to the one muscle group, it takes concentration. The easy thing is just to tense everything and when the abs get fatigued, try and 'pull it through' with other muscles. That's bad.

3. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Yeah, I'll ask one of the guys there - was trying to avoid that because they are mostly *******s. Getting my lower abs on the other machines is a cinch. Getting the uppers is proving quite a challenge.

In other news, I ran ten minutes on the treadmill today after my usual bike and elliptical workout - first running in a year. :)

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Great! The Back is Back? Good news.

5. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Yeah, thanks - I'll have to take it slow, but I think the more I keep working on getting my core ab and hamstring strength up, as well as dropping a few pounds, the better it will get.

I did "F" my neck up bad this week, though. :(

6. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

My advice would be stay away from ab machines, at least until you build up a reasonable amount of muscle there so you won't be strained as easily. Just keep doing the regular sit ups on a mat. Results do come more slowly but you will get a much more evenly balanced set of muscle, nicely toned.

BTW if you take my advice don't use something to hold your feet down as this will lead to the lower muscle of your abs getting less use and therefore an imbalance.

7. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Yeah, problem is (and I know this sounds crazy) but regular situps really kill my back (had back surgery) and I can't do anything on an excercise ball for that matter, so I am a little stuck.

8. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

When you do crunches/sit-ups do you put your hands behind your neck?

9. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

No, the machine has you with your hand on a brace kind of up in the air, if that makes sense.

I'll probably ditch the cruncher and continue with the leg lifts and weight ab cruncher (standing up). They both give a good burn.

10. asphalt-proof macrumors 6502a

Another thing you can do for you 'core' is just sit on a swiss ball at work. The micromovements you make to maintain balance really strengthen those abs and lower back muscles.

There is also an ab machine that you sit at bend forward into a padded bar. This has varying heights for your feet to enable you to work upper and lower abs.

Congrats on the running!! I would think (I'm no expert) that if you can run you should be able to do some simple back workouts. Getting that lower back build up is absolutely key to getting your core strengthen. Even more so then your abs.

Good luck.

11. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

I see, one way I've learned to doing crunches is to put hour hands under your butt, and laying flat, lift both legs 90 deg. up; you do this slowly, and the burn gets real good especially when you stop and hover your legs outward. You can also have someone push your legs back down when they come up to get more workout, you can then isolate your back in some way...

Have you been to a massage therapist? I know some can be iffy, but if you find a good one, it can help a lot. Muscular stress can also cause back problems. Doing a lot of stretching (yoga/pilates) can also do wonders...or so I've been told.