Abe: 'No evidence that women were forced to become sex slaves"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yojitani, Mar 2, 2007.

1. yojitani macrumors 68000

Apr 28, 2005
    An octopus's garden
    Wondering what people here on MR make of this.
  2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

Nov 14, 2003
    Washington, DC
    My take is that nationalist politicians are jackasses.
  3. spork183 macrumors 6502a

Jul 30, 2006
    He went on to say that the Rape of Nangking was really just foreplay, not Rape in the truest sense of the word.
  4. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

May 18, 2004
    it's a matter of trying to blame it all on private contractors that the Japanese military hired to set up and run brothels for the sexual enjoyment of the troops.

from a story posted today on the BBC web site;

"...Many historians say Japan compelled up to 200,000 women, mostly Chinese and Korean, to become sex slaves.

But some Japanese scholars deny that force was used to round up the women, blaming private contractors for any abuses....

...On Monday, Mr Abe again commented on the issue, saying while there was no evidence of coercion in the strict sense, there may be some evidence of independent brokers procuring women by force.

But "it was not as though military police broke into peoples' homes and took them away like kidnappers," he said....."

5. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Sep 18, 2006
    I believe that this boy is either trying to rewrite history or is seriously out of touch with reality. I know that survivors of WWII are getting fewer by the day, but there's still enough of them around along with the oral histories that have been recorded to set anyone straight on this and many other attrocities that are currently being questioned.
  6. skunk macrumors G4

Jun 29, 2002
    Republic of Ukistan
  7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    Everywhere you go, you got it right. He is screwing up spinning the atrocities of Japan from that time period.
  8. heehee macrumors 68020

Jul 31, 2006
    Same country as Santa Claus
    One thing I dont get is why does a government (leader) have to apologize for something that happened a long time ago and the current government is not even involved in. :confused:

This is like someone going to jail for someone else's crime.
  9. miloblithe macrumors 68020

Nov 14, 2003
    Washington, DC
    It has to do with writing history and forming the political framework for the present. It's not about them personally apologizing for it in the sense that you or I have to apologize for something we've done wrong, it's about acknowledging that a wrong was done and declaring that no on should deny that action was wrong.
  10. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    Because we have to acknowledge the mistakes of the past or else we are doomed to repeat them.
  11. Grakkle macrumors 6502a

Oct 6, 2006
    Japan's record on acknowledging their wartime atrocities in China and Korea is absolutely shameful. Of course, every nation involved in World War II commited war crimes - including Britain and the United States - that have never been properly addressed.

It's a moral imperative that Japan issue a formal apology on the sex-slave matter. That being said, Britain and the United States also need to address the Dresden fire-bombings and their other terror-bombing campaigns against Germany during the war, and the United States should certainly make a formal apology to Japan for the atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

That's not to negate the culpability of Japan, but it's only honest to recognise that there are a number of acts committed in World War II - by all participants - that have never been properly addressed.
  12. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    I'm surprised that I've yet to see any article titles derivative from "Honest Abe" about this.
  13. apb3 macrumors regular

Aug 16, 2006
    PTSD therapy
    Speaking of "writing history," have you ever seen some of the Japanese textbooks on these and similar issues? It was a big issue when I was stationed in the ROK.

At best, the Japanese simply omit the incident. At worst, they often write something as stupid as this guy said.

I actually spoke to some Japanese friends about it (granted we were drinking a good amount of soju at the time) and was utterly suprised that these well-educated people either minimized Japan's wartime crimes or outright denied them...