Abercrombie & Fitch Discrimination Lawsuit

Discussion in 'Community' started by slipper, Dec 7, 2004.

1. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

Heres a topic i found on a local forum here in Hawaii...

The quote was not typed by myself.

The fact is, racism and discrimination is still a major problem. In fact i play starcraft everyonce in a while, i have been called everything from a spik, hindu, niger, chink, jew, but never a caucasian related comment. Abercrombie has settled the class action lawsuit for $40 million but i do not see anything changed. In fact i had several friends, non-caucasian, apply at the local Abercrombie and Fitch for the holiday hiring and neither of them got hired. Please do your part, please discontinue your support for racially insensitive companies.

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Well at my local A&F there is an Arab guy working there. As for the pictures on the wall, who cares. It's their store and can put up whatever they want. I can go to Rocawear and FUBU online and I don't see any white people and my heart isn't broken.

Also, your friends not getting hired means nothing. I have had ton of friends apply and not get in. Were your friends good looking, in good shape, visually pleasing? These are the type of people they want and I don't see why they would settle for less when they have so many applicants.

jon

3. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

When was the last time you saw someone over 40 in a yellow shirt at Best Buy? Hopefully lawsuits like this will wake up others...

4. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

When I worked at best buy we had our fair share of people over 40 on the LP staff. (The yellow shirt guys)

One worked it as a second job, another was a cop by day, and LP guy at night, 2 nights a week. The LP staff was always averaged an older age than any other department.

AS for Abercrombie...

My Friend used to work there. He is from Hong Kong. Can speak english as well as anyone, and wears the ambercrombie line amzing well. Yet he never got scheduled hours. We work together (at another mall store) and he is by far the top sales person in our store, and a leader.

He will tell you first hand about the discrimination he received at Ambercrombie. He had to talk people into giving up their shifts to get work. Even then sometimes management wouldn't let him take the shifts.

I wouldn't have thought it either, but after his stories first hand, I believe this. The Lawsuit didnt happen for no reason.

5. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

all i know is the A&F at the local mall where I work part time at sharper image (don't buy their crap!) has these two asian hotties that work there, and one indian, if anything they are sexually discriminative. it's all women! not that i'm complaining of course when i go to ask if they can sell us any rolls of quarters...(although the clothes are really annoying, especially since it's all teenager's parents wearing the clothes to look like they know what the deal is).

6. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

iJon and whoever cares to read

I am a non-caucasian, and without being overly sensative to the subject there is no mistaking the discrimination which takes place. If you are caucasian, maybe you just dont notice it because the discrimination doesnt happen to you?

Sure its their company, but your saying its ok to discriminate? Ok so theres 1 arab guy working at your A&F, from my understanding arkansas is strongly dominated by whites. Here in Hawaii, its very different. My girlfriend frequents the store often so i should know. There is almost never any other ethnicities working there. Obviously there is a problem with A&B if there is a lawsuit, 1 arab guy doesnt prove anything.

There still is a problem at A&B and elsewhere. Please do not support discriminating companys.

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I don't doubt that they discriminate. Out of 10 or so stores where I've been in Floriduh, I've only seen caucasians and, if they're radical, a light-skinned, straight-haired hispanic. I've never seen an Asian or a black person behind the counter.

Then, there is Hollister--their new store chain. It's pretty much the same but different. The one thing they share is that they don't mention anything about Columbus, OH where they are headquartered. I wouldn't mention it either.

They've been in trouble for their quarterly magazines which have supposedly dropped the racy photography. It was never bad but it certainly got them into trouble and was out of character for a company from such a conservative area. In any case, they're not about to go away.

8. Spymit007 macrumors regular

Spymit007

I thought I'd chime in on this issue because I feel I have somewhat strong convictions on the subject matter.

Demographics: male, 23, college educated, not struggling to make ends meet but not necessarily rolling in dough

First off, let me say that I haven't bought clothes from A&F since mid 2000 because personally speaking, I find their clothing line boring and uninspired and at times, downright tacky. Pre 2000, they use to make really good looking clothing. But lately, their catalog has gone downhill. This is simply my own personal opinion but I don't like the look of Abercrombie clothes.

Plus, I don't like their whole "lifestyle" approach. I don't care for their advertising campaign of using scantilly clad young, good looking models to sell their clothes. Half the time, their models aren't even wearing any clothes. When I buy clothes, I want to buy clothes, not the lifestyle of the clothes. A&F seem to think that by wearing their clothing line, you're going to be magically transported to some spring meadow with a group of firm-bodied hotties undressing each other.

Essentially, I think A&F has gotten really trashy over the years. Their quarterly catalogs have gotten more and more provacative and racy. It has generated much buzz over the years as I am sure they planned it that way to get publicity. If they need to resort to such tactics and gimmicks, I question the actual quality of their clothing.

The fact that they discriminate bothers me but to hear the other side, they are a private company and can do whatever they want in terms of marketing. I liken it to the Supreme Court ruling that the Boy Scouts can refuse membership to a homosexual because they are a private organization and can make their own rules regarding such issues. It's sad that in this day and age, racism and discrimination are still present.

Because they discriminate, I have another reason now not to buy their clothing line (aside from the fact that it's all crap anyway).

9. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

whoever made the point about FUBU has it exactly right... let manufacturers cater to whomever they want...

because where does it stop? can fat women get upset because victorias secret doesnt put fat people in their windows?

10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

In the DC area, I don't see that. Nor have my friends been hired during the hiring sprees that BB has from time to time.

11. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Not to mention that any discrimination in the hiring practice is wrong. As long as public safety is not compromised, and the person is able to do the job - then they should be hired.

12. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

Right on.

13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

So sad that we have allowed the media to sell us on the idea that only the "pretty" need apply. And it sad that so many have bought in to it, that they look past how wrong it is.

14. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

are you really going to buy clothes that look ugly on ugly people?

advertising's job is to make you think you'll look good in what they're selling, they use attractive people to do this. it's life.

15. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

The issue is that we are now allowing the advertising message to crossover into the shopping experience. What's next, A&F refusing to sell their products to someone because they are too fat or ugly?

A lot of this talk here reminds me of the movie Shallow Hal.

16. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i dont think thats a logical continuation at all... nor do i think anyone is suggesting that.

17. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

No, the logical continuation, as addressed in the first post is that A&F should be allowed to hire attractive white people exclusively to work in its stores.

And by defending their actions, you would be suggesting that.

18. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i believe thats a conclusion taken to an illogical extreme

19. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Not defending A&F, in fact I am happy they are being sued.

Haven't we moved past the days that flight attendants had to be single, Barbie doll perfect women, as an example of old ideas that should rest in peace?

20. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I don't know but you might want to jump on Hooters case cause I doubt we are going to see some ugly women on that airliner. I'm sure someone will get offended.

jon

21. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Really? Not much of a difference in my mind. If the product image is so important as to discriminate in hiring, then is not that product to valuable to be brought down by those whose body image would harm that product image?

22. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

give me a break... i see fat girls in prada every day in this city and it doesnt seem to be affecting their sales...

23. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

for the record, i dont enjoy what companies like this do (abercrombie, hooters, etc.) but i feel like its a fact of life that we all want to see pretty people, look pretty, etc... thats all.

24. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

The problem is that obviously the people A&F wants aren't just "pretty" but pretty white.

25. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

when i walk past stores in my area... and they're everywhere around here becuase its what most college kids wear, there is a huge assortment of nationalities working at the stores. who they want to put in their ads is up to them.