Abercrombie & Fitch Owns The Number 22

Discussion in 'Community' started by TimDaddy, Aug 23, 2003.

1. TimDaddy macrumors 6502

Versailles, KY (and that's pronounced Vurr-sales)
    Abercrombie & Fitch Claims 22 Ownership

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - Abercrombie & Fitch says its chain of Hollister stores owns the number 22.

The New Albany-based company has sued rival retailer American Eagle Outfitters, seeking to prevent it from using the number on its clothing.

The lawsuit filed in Columbus federal court asks a judge to order American Eagle to stop using 22 on its clothing and advertising, to destroy any clothes or ads that use the number and to give Hollister any profits from clothes already sold.

Abercrombie says Hollister owns the number 22 because it has appeared on the chain's clothing since the stores opened three years ago.
    Hollister never registered a trademark on the number, but the company claims common-law rights to the trademark because the number is used on Hollister's merchandise, packaging and Web site.

``The suit speaks for itself,'' Abercrombie spokesman Tom Lennox said.

American Eagle is based in Warrendale, Pa., but its majority owner is Columbus-based Schottenstein Stores Corp.

Federal courts have ruled at least three times in four years that Abercrombie can't prevent American Eagle from selling clothes that look like Abercombie's.

American Eagle called the No. 22 lawsuit frivolous in a letter to Hollister, saying Hollister uses several numbers on its apparel and therefore can't claim a trademark on any of them.

08/23/03 20:39

2. TimDaddy thread starter macrumors 6502

Versailles, KY (and that's pronounced Vurr-sales)
    I went to www.hollisterco.com and browsed around for just a few seconds. I found the number 1922 used on one item. Maybe the makers of some history books or calanders will sue them for that. Or maybe people who were born in 1922. I also found a shirt with the number 33 on it. I have already emailed them and told them that if the makers of Rolling Rock Beer sue them I will testify on the behalf of Rolling Rock. "I thought I was ordering beer, but I got a shirt! Your honor, I was intentionally misled into buying a product that I didn't want. :rolleyes:

3. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

oh...so i can claim ownership to all hats that have a sublime (the band) sticker on them since i have worn one for 5 years?

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Actually I think they'd own the patent on "Morons in Management" if they applied for it.

You're supposed to be able to patent business ideas these days, and their business ideas are definitely unique.

5. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Maybe I can claim ownership of the name David since I've been using it for the past 20 years...I'll let all the other Davids of the world to pay me royalties to use my name.

6. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Oh my god...

I've seen ridiculous... but wow.

This one takes the cake.

I've seen trademarks and Patents given left and right from everything to one click shopping to swings.

But saying you have the rights to a number because you have it on clothes is so STUPID!

7. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

WAHOO thats one problem off each chapter in my mathbook thati cant do because its owned by them :D LOOPHOLE

if im lucky i might get a D ;)

8. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

If any of you are named David, so help me, I am going to bleed you dry of your cash, mwahaha! I will get my evil Asimo robot to grope you all!

9. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

They should have been smart, and copyrighted the numbers 0 and 1. After all, who uses frikin' 22 anyway?

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

My reputation has suffered because Q from the James Bond films and Q from Star Trek have used my nickname without my permission. I want compensation!

Wasn't there a joke circulating about Microsoft copyrighting the numbers 0 and 1? Well, 22 isn't much different.

11. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Well, Microsoft couldn't defend such a copyright application because they haven't yet figured out how to properly use 0 and 1.

Now, A&F is a different story. Maybe the number 22 is put to its best use on lame-a**trendy clothes for self-obsessed airheads.

But then again, maybe it's not.

12. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i hate american eagle anyways, i like abercrombie more because the use heavier cotton and their necks are more durable and dont stretch. but as for suing, its stupid but if you can get away with it and make money go for it.

iJon

13. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

well, i'm not a big fan of either company. I had a roommate last year who was extremely trendy (and extremely neat), so a total opposite to me, and he used to cutout the girls from the abercrombie bags and post them on the wall like posters.

I don't know why I mentioned that. Thought it was kinda funny/stupid.

edit: just notice that I said "of either companIES." Should be singular. Yeah, I know, I'm probably obsessive/compulsive about grammar, esp. for 1 AM. But that's ok. I've come to accept who I am. :D

14. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

yeah that is stupid, i see many girls do the same with the games. i just happen to like their clothes. i have clothes from all kinds of companies, im not the guy who buys af to be popular. i got af, ae, gap, dockers, and much much more. actually my favorite shirt company so far has been fossil. my mom goes to their factory outlet and loads me up on shirts for like 5 dollars a piece.

iJon

15. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

oh yeah, some of their clothes are nice. I hate to stereotype, and I think my dislike of that "sort" of company is more from the fact that a large percentage of the people who shop from those companies tend to have a certain mentality that there is a certain superiority to be derived from being solidly in the mainstream.

It's more that state of my mind that I dislike. It's hard to describe at 1 AM. Mainly, I didn't like my roommate all too much and that compounded my dislike for the sorts of apparel with which he seemed obsessed. But yeah, you seem cool iJon, no need to defend your shopping decisions w/me. :D And I'll tell you what, you're right about those factory outlets. They make everything a whole lot better. We've got a whole mall practically dedicated to factory outlets near here---I mean, it's HUGE.

As far as the posters, I figure, if you really want to put a girl on your wall, at least buy the poster. I personally prefer to put more classy posters on the wall, because I think that if you have members of the opposite sex in your room, a bunch of pictures of girls on the wall is just kinda embarrassing.

16. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

In the spirit of this lawsuit, I have just copyrighted the word "the", and as such, you each owe me $10,876.25 for past and future uses of the word. E-mail me , and I will tell you where to send the checks.

Regards,
    Gus

17. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

yeah i know what you mean. they always tell you that they are in the factory outlets because of defects. but almost all my gap jeans and fossil shirts look thte same as retail, but with more than half the price.

iJon

18. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Well, growing up in Palm Beach, I too hate the stereotypical roles everyone played to "look cool and fit in". Everyone wore Old Navy and AE and nothing else. It was sick and I couldn't stand the lack of individuality people seemed to have. The funny thing, though, was my second year of high school, Old Navy sweaters were the "cool thing" to wear...so everyone started wearing wool Old Navy sweaters....in south Florida....in June....in 100 degree weather...just to "fit in". Only one word for that--idiocy.

19. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Ah, sorry. These guys already own the rights to the entire English language.

20. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

actually for the first day of school i wore my black ipod shirt, its my new favortie shirt. then the 2nd day of school i wore my gray abercrombie shirt with a girl taking the top of her yellow bikini, math teacher didnt like that to well and told me to go to the office. i thought teachers have better things to do than play fashion police.

iJon

21. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

AE > AF

now having said that I think its rediculous to claim that you own a number unless its in the name of the company, ala Union 76 :)

22. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

where did you get an ipod tshirt?

23. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

well apple was to cheap to send any resellers any so i picked up like 10 of them at the st louis store.

iJon

24. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I went to my apple store and got the iPod shirt you speak of.

It was on the iPod night tho.

:p

I have just copyrighted all Letters in the Phrase:

'All your Base Are belong to us'

Along with all Roman Numerals, 0, 1 the comma and the '&' symbol.

And aparently I found a loophole and now all Unix belongs to me, including every piece of code and BSD.

--pwn

25. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Wow, and I thought FoxNewsCorp was stupid for suing over their trademarked "Fair and Balanced"

New lows of idiocy.