ABES Update anytime soon?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by cschilderink, Jun 3, 2004.

1. cschilderink macrumors newbie

I have heard rumors that a 108mbps ABES is coming out sometime this summer. I am not sure where I read it, but I was just posting to see if anyone else had heard this. Supposedly they were putting a second chip in that will double the current speed which is 54mbps to 108mbps.

If anyone knows an estimated date that would be helpful.

2. legion macrumors 6502a

To use 108Mbps, you don't need a second chip. You only have to use an Atheros chipset. Current AEBS don't use those and the AE card would also have to be based on the Atheros chipset. When I was doing my purchasing for basestations, I was careful to choose those with Atheros chips (my laptop already had it) and I've been running it ever since.

Chips don't increase through-put, it's just the Atheros has an instruction set for a different method of using the g protocol. (Currently LinkSys/Cisco have pushed the FCC to investigate to see if they broke any regulations; I call it sour grapes they didn't think of it first)

3. cschilderink thread starter macrumors newbie

Will there be any updates to the ABES in the upcoming months?

4. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

My neighbor bought one of those 108Mbps wireless routers, and it absolutely killed my Airport Extreme base station. I kindly told him about it and explained the problem with 108Mbps, and he took it back and got a basic G router. Glad to have nice neighbors, he had no idea that they caused that much interference.