Able to Set Plantronics USB Headset as System Sound Input/Output On Connection?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Kelmon, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

Hi Guys,

I hope that someone can either help here or confirm whether this is possible. The scenario is this:

What I'd like to have happen is that the Plantronics headset becomes the sound input/output device as soon as it is connected and that OS X reverts to using the Built-In Audio/Built-In Microphone when it is disconnected. Is this possible?

Additionally, the headset has on the lead a volume controller. While OS X appears to recognise this it only seems to control the Built-In settings rather than the headset's settings. This is odd...

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The headset's firmware probably isn't completely compatible with Mac OS X. I've a Logitech headset and have no problems with it, including using the inline controls.

3. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I posted about this not so long ago. I have a Logitech USB headset that I use with Skype. I would like the prefs to change to the headset for both audio in and out as soon as I plug it in, then change back to the built-in mic and speakers when I unplug it. This is part of what the OP is asking about. From what you write, bousozoku, it seems like you've maybe managed this. If so, how?? :confused:

4. zami macrumors regular

It seems if you first plug in the headset then go to Skype preferences and select USB headset and then quit Skype it is sorted when you next start up.

5. Kelmon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

Hi Guys,

If this is the case then Plantronics are telling porky pies as both the packaging and website claims that the product is Mac OS X compatible and that no drivers are necessary. However, given that the volume control does seem to work as you'd expect it then I can only assume that you aren't far wrong, if at all.

I don't tend to quit Skype but do plug-in/un-plug the headset when needed. I'll give your suggestion a bash when I get home and see if that sorts out the problem with Skype. It doesn't sound like this will resolve the problem in the OS but I can live with that if the Skype issue is resolved. Thanks for the tip.

6. Kelmon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

Interestingly, I've just tripped over a post at MacInTouch.com stating that someone else has observed the same problem as I have with a Plantronics DSP headset but that the problem only began in 10.4.5; prior to this update simply plugging the device in would have the necessary affect. Given this I am now hoping that Apple will release 10.4.6 soon and that it'll resolve this problem.