"About 395MHz"? WTF?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Hemingray, Jun 19, 2002.

1. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Check this out. I tried running the Apple System Profiler (classic version) through Classic in OS X. It always used to say 400MHz, and the X System Profiler identifies it as 400MHz. But "About 395"? That's bizarre. Does anyone else get this approximate MHz when they try running it?

Attached Files:

• 395.gif
      395.gif
      File size:
      10.3 KB
      Views:
  2. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Maybe running it through Classic confuses it.. remember... it is "emulated" just like Virtual PC, so it might not be able to recognize the actual specifics...

... unless I misunderstood what you said... you did say that you were running it through Classic and not OS 9, right?

irmongoose

3. Hemingray thread starter macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Yes, running it through Classic. I just find that odd that it can't determine the exact processor speed. I don't see why emulation would cause that, but who knows, you could be right!

4. Tiauguinho macrumors 6502a

Tiauguinho

Hemingray...

I have the same result as you...

Funny... Why does this happen...

5. ryme4reson macrumors 6502

I get 545 on a PB 550. Does any1 have any information in overclocking a PB550?.

6. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

a technical note. classic is not emulation.

but that is interesting that apple would program it to be able to use fuzzy speeds.

if i had classic on any of my machines id check. it might actually be more accurate. most of my machines clock faster when testing them with overclocking tools. apple tends to underestimate it seems. perhaps your chip is just a little overestimated/.

7. Draft macrumors 6502

If you think that that is F'd up, mine says "about 269MHz", when in fact I'm running on a 933MHz G4. Crazy! It doesn't matter much though, since I barely ever use OS 9, and if I do, it's not through Classic.

Later,
    Draft

8. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

i wouldnt be surprised if apple simply did this to give priority to OS X rather than classic in terms of processor usage. I'm chure they could do this through the actual Classic startup files and such, but it probably reports the speed ( x-5 | x=processor speed) to all the classic programs allowing less usage... just a thought.

9. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

that's pretty messed up...

I wonder what the deal is? I almost never run Classic on my TiBook, but I just may do it to see what mine says. What's significant about the missing 5 Mhz though?!

and Draft...I have to wonder what u are on over there...he he he ;) j/k

10. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

As long as the profiler that is native to the OS you are running is accurate, what does it matter??? What system is this about Hemingray? Have you tried the gauge pro utility to see what it lists?? Don't be too surprised if it varies by a one to three MHz. The utility is getting long in the tooth, and cannot handle the newer processors (gets confused by them :rolleyes: )

As for overclocking a Mac, only do it if you don't care about the system. If you are a whiz with a soldering iron, then attempt it, if not, leave it alone. I am fairly certain that xlr8yourmac has instructions on their web site... Look them up and see what you can get. If you have AppleCare on your system, I wouldn't do it. When the computer is well out of warranty, then you can, but until then you would void the warranty by overclocking (unless you are REAL good at undoing the stuff you do).

I read an article yesterday in a peecee mag about overclocking of systems. Essentially the guy writing the article states that a few years ago where processor speeds were not where they are now, and people needed to overclock to play a game (at a reasonable speed) overclocking was worth it. But, today, that is no longer the case, nor is it needed. I left the mag at home today, but I can put up that section later if anyone wishes... Or PM me and I will send the entire article (less then one page) to you...

11. Omen88 macrumors regular

Omen88

My G4@733Mhz is reported as: 75MHz
    the "about" is not mentioned here, so he's even sure of it hehe

12. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

My G4 500 reports "about 495MHz".

Certaintly an odd one. Doesn't exactly bother me though, it's of very little consequence.

13. Choppaface macrumors 65816

same here...'above 495'...at least it sees both processors :D