About charging the iPad 3

Discussion in 'iPad' started by arcite, May 5, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    Is it best to keep the iPad 3 fully charged? Ie. plug it in at the end of every day to keep it at 100%, or let it run down over a day or two until it gets closer to empty? :)

2. macrumors 65816

andyblila

I let it run down. I've read that the battery needs to be drained at least once a month anyway to keep it healthy. I charge it every couple of days.

3. macrumors 68020

Just keep it simple and plug it in before you go to sleep.

End of Thread

4. macrumors 6502

The iPad 3 is one of the most battery efficient, power reliable devices ever produced. What a silly question. Do you own any other portable devices? How do you manage to use those? Right, well the iPad 3 is almost certainly has a better battery life than any of those devices so use it as you would normally do and just enjoy it.

5. macrumors 6502a

I've heard it is better to run it down at least once a month, no need to do it every few days.

But even on my iPad first gen, I rarely let it drop to below 50% and it kept its 11 hour charge even a year later, so it won't make much different, unless you plan on keeping it for 6-7 years.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    Ok thanks guys. Good advice, I won't get all Ocd over it.

7. macrumors 603

NO it does not. Running down shortens the life of the batt. You just need to run down to calibrate the monitoring circuits (it's still bad for the batt). You should only run down ever few months (about one a quarter is often enough) of so unless the it NEEDS calibration.

8. macrumors 6502

I have a iPod touch 3g from launch 9/9/09. I never plug it in to charge. What ever it gets from the car is all it gets.

I have a iPhone 4 from launch 6/24/10. It gets plugged in at the end of the day no matter how much charge that is left.

I have a iPad 3g from launch 3/16/12. It gets plugged in at the end of the day no matter how much charge that is left.

I have never had an issue with battery life. I have not seen any decrease in battery life with my iPod or iPhone. iPad is too early. These batteries do not need to be discharged. If anything it is worse for them. The only time they really need to be discharged like that is if you have an issue with the time left calculation since it may be not calibrated properly.

9. macrumors 6502a

Kavier

I let mine run down and then charge it. Usually, it's around 15-20% when I charge it back up.

10. macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Careful, the OCD people will have a nut at you about using the term OCD loosely... :rolleyes:

11. macrumors 6502a

yeah

Remember, the iPad 3 has advanced circuitry where the battery will discharge a little when it reaches 100% to protect the battery. I recommend charging 1 hour more after the battery meter shows 100%.

12. macrumors 68040

LiOn batteries do better if kept charged. There is no need to constantly drain them down and charge them up.

That said:

1. Put them on the charger overnight, or when not in use (as able).

2. I would not run them down unless unavoidable. Occasionally is fine, every time is not.

3. There is no need to calibrate these batteries unless you feel that your % reading differs from what the battery is doing. And I mean a significant difference.

13. macrumors regular

http://www.apple.com/batteries/ipad.html

Use Your iPad Regularly
    For proper reporting of the battery’s state of charge, be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down).

14. macrumors 68000

spiderman0616

I just use mine until I feel that not charging it that night will screw me over the next day. I can easily get through a whole day on 20% battery. Once every month or two I let it run down to nothing because Apple recommends that, but I doubt it's necessary.

15. macrumors 65816

andyblila

Then you need to call Apple and have them alter their support documents:

For proper reporting of the battery’s state of charge, be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down).

http://www.apple.com/batteries/ipad.html

Once per month just like I said. No where in there does it state that the battery life is decreased by running it down. In fact you need to fully discharge the cell periodically to break down the crystals that form in a Litium Ion Battery:

"Lithium-ion polymer batteries pack in a higher power density than nickel-based batteries. This gives you a longer battery life in a lighter package, as lithium is the lightest metal. You can also recharge a lithium-ion polymer battery whenever convenient, without the full charge or discharge cycle necessary to keep nickel-based batteries at peak performance. (Over time, crystals build up in nickel-based batteries and prevent you from charging them completely, necessitating an inconvenient full discharge.)"

This is straight from Apple's site: http://www.apple.com/batteries/

You are mistaken in your information. I can provide more references if you need them.:D

16. JMG
    macrumors 6502a

JMG

You're a real nice guy.

17. macrumors 6502

mzjin

Ugh, very elite reading comprehension skills there. Li-Ion batteries are not Nickel based.

Do NOT discharge Li-Ion batteries.

18. macrumors 603

Apple uses very generic and generalized info. Also it's in Apple's interest to do a full discharge/monitoring reset because this lowers returns. Apple also wants you to use up you number of full cycles so that you will need to buy a news device in 2 years.

Let me provide YOU with the best and most complete battery info available. Look here.;)

19. macrumors regular

This...

20. ZipZap, May 8, 2012
    Last edited: May 8, 2012

macrumors 68040

Its says "For proper reporting" and so as I read it the rundown lets IOs calibrate to the then present cycle length as LiON batteries are expected to loose their charging ability over time (full discharges will not change that fact).

It also appears that it keeps crystals from forming in the battery but frankly years of battery usage have demonstrated to me that this is not a typical occurance and that full discharges really made no difference in performance. Probably due to the high quality batteries Apple uses.

LiON batteries do best when left of the charger when not in use.

I will concede that you can recharge LiON at any point in its cycle, but its not wise to run it down all the time.

21. macrumors 65816

andyblila

Very interesting reading, but I am an electrical engineer and prefer to trust the engineers that design the device, vice a website called battery university.

Nobody is saying drain the battery every time, just occasionally (like monthly). It is healthy for the battery. I work extensively with LiON batteries and the research shows that exercising the battery across the entire spectrum of it's charge is in fact healthy; however, frequent charging does not diminish life either, only the reporting of the charge.

Finally, from the tone of your posts, it seems that you have a superiority complex and must win (as illustrated by the portion of your post I bolded). In the interest of ending this, since you must win, I surrender to your superiority.:p

22. macrumors 6502a

I charge it every night no matter how full the battery is... Once in a while i will completely drain the battery.

23. macrumors 6502

Ditto

24. macrumors 6502

I charge it when it gets to be about 35%

25. macrumors 68020

Come on folks, really? Do we need another thread about charging our precious iDevices?

Just plug the darn thing in before you go to sleep.

And...

If you forget and you just happen to run the batteries down, BONUS!!! You just calibrated the power management without premeditation.

SIMPLE