about chicken of the VNC

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by calebjohnston, Feb 25, 2006.

1. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

I heard that "chicken of the VNC" is a free program - is that true?

Also.. I assume the computer that I'd be using through it needs to be within the same network?

2. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

Yes, its free, here.

And yes, you need to be on the same network and you need some kind of VNC server software on the host computer.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

You do not need to be on the same network. I know this because I use it to connect my Mac (here, in Massachusetts) with my parent's PC running XP (in the midwest).

You just need to be sure that the firewall/router setups are done correctly.

4. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

OO...this could be very useful to me. What would I have to do to use my iBook from school to connect to my Mac mini at home? The Mac mini is on an Airport express wireless network and at school I would be on a wireless network as well.

5. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

To add from jsw said: you need to setup the router (both ends if available)

then you need the 'host' ip addy for mac to connect it (Host is the IP addy of the server then password then connect bottom right corner of the window..

Make sure the Host Computer xp etc has the vnc SERVER running ..

Why if you got the Server computer (host) NOT running the server side of vnc and you try to connect thru your mac you'll get an error :p

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

To sort of append to what iphil said:

You need a known IP address to connect to. The easiest way I've found to do this (unless you have a static IP at home) is to go somewhere like DynDNS.org and get a free dynamic DNS setup. Then, on your home router, make sure the VNC traffic is routed to your Mac. It's usually on ports 5900-59xx, where xx rarely exceeds 01 or 02. Also, the Mac that you want to get to should have networking set up to use a manual IP address, or DHCP with a manual address - you want to be able to tell your router where you want to route the VNC traffic to, and you want it to always be the same place (your Mac at home).

So, say you get mymacmini.homeip.net as an address from DnDNS.org. That'll take you to your house router. Then, suppose you set your mini up as 192.168.1.101. Go to your router, and route all traffic on ports 5900-5910 (say) to 192.168.1.101.

Then, on the mini, enable VNC by going into System Preferences...->Sharing and turning on "Apple Remote Desktop". You'll need to supply a password in the settings.

On your iBook, install CotVNC, and then tell it to go to (say) mymacmini.homeip.net, give it the password to use, and you should be all set - if the wireless network you're on doesn't block those ports.

You should be able to test this setup at home, first my using the mini's internal IP (say, 192.168.1.101) and then with the external IP.

7. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

I am currently connected to my Mac mini from my iBook and I am typing this message from my iBook into my Mac mini. Not sure if it will work at school though, because I'm on the same network right now. there is not nearly as much lag as when I connect to my dad's XP box. Awesome. This would be extremely useful if I could do this from school. We'll find out on Monday.

8. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

If you understood my directions and jsw's help of sorting my wording .. then there's a good chance of connecting your iBook @ school to mini @ home..

Sorry for the confusing directions, my mind speaks faster then i can type sometimes :mad: :mad: :mad:

The mind issue is because i got C.P. and epilepsy

:eek: :eek: :mad: :eek:

9. calebjohnston thread starter macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Ah, probably wouldn't work from school like I wanted it to now that I think about it. Nothing works in here. can't even get on irc, my roommate can't get on limewire, etc. Oh well.

10. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

Now how would I go about doing this part in the Airport Admin Utility?

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Hmmm... I do all my routing through my Linksys (needed for Vonage), and the AirPorts just serve essentially as bridges.

I'd assume you go to the Port Mapping tab, then add the Pubic Ports of 5900-5910, your mini's IP address, and the same Private Ports of 5900-5910. If you need to add them one at a time, 5900-5902 should be fine.

For some reason, maybe because mine are set up to use WDS, I cannot set up port mapping on mine. Sorry! Otherwise I'd verify those steps.

Edit: once I turned on Network->Distribute IP Addresses (temporarily), I could set up the ports. Looks like you need to add them one at a time (how primitive!!!), so I'd just add 5900-5902.

12. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

The vnc router port is 5900 thats default, so i would try the steps that jsw said before this, and try that way .. I can't test airport admin steps, i'm on a netgear wired router..

13. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

If you have difficulties connecting to another machine, try www.hamachi.cc which creates your own VPN, ie. all computers are effectively on the same network. Although you need to set it up on all machines to use it, meaning you need access to them, and the last time I tried to do set it up on my Mac, I wasn't able to.

However, it seems some, if not most, Mac users are able to successfully create their own VPNs.

14. benglett macrumors newbie

Can't access my G4

I have a G4 iBook, a new G5 Quad and a G4 desktop. I don't have any trouble in either direction with the iBook and the G5 and I can access both the iBook and the G5 from the G4, but I can't access the G4 from either of the other systems.
    The Sharing and Apple Remote Desktop > Access Privileges are all the same on the G4 as they are on both of the other machines.
    It pings fine and File Sharing works fine.
    What am I missing?

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I'm confused how to change the router settings. Can some one please explain in detail. Thanks