About downloaded files...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by calebjohnston, Jan 24, 2006.

1. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

When you download files (what it is is irrelevant.. a song, movie, etc) the icons appear on the right hand side of the screen which is usually covered by ichat and it gets annoying moving it back and forth. any way to make the icons show up on the right [EDIT: left] instead?

Im more or less new to macs, sorry.

2. EHUnlucky7x9@ao macrumors 6502

You mean the left side? I dont' think you can do that. Just move iSight to your left side of the screen. That's all.

3. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

I've never used iChat, but I assume you could simply drag your iChat window to the left hand side of your screen and be done with the problem? :confused:

You can also change where your downloaded files wind up -- choose "Preferences" under the "Safari" (or "Camino" or "Firefox" or whatever) menu and select the downloads tab. I'd assume iChat would also allow you to choose a target for downloads (assuming you're downloading files legally through iChat), unless it's remarkably stupid software.

4. calebjohnston thread starter macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Ayeaye, Captain.

Thanks for the responses. I'm still just leaving Windows, so I was somewhat used to AIM/Trillian docking on the right side of the screen. I moved that iChat sucker to the left side and the problem is gone.

Appreciate it.

5. p0intblank macrumors 68030

Whoa whoa whoa! LOL Okay, that's a little overdone. But seriously, take advantage of Expose! :D Under System Preferences go into Dashboard & Expose. You can assign a keyboard shortcut or an active screen corner (I call them hot spots) to automatically go into your Desktop view. It moves all your open windows to the sides of your screen so you can see your desktop, icons, etc. I use this feature everyday. It's quite useful. :)

Also try experimenting with the other effects Expose has to offer. I think you'll be impressed.

6. calebjohnston thread starter macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

7. p0intblank macrumors 68030

No problem. You'll fall in love with Expose. ;)