About Merom (Sorry D:)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Genoa12, Aug 23, 2006.

  1. Genoa12 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2006
    #1
    Is there any chance that the MBP will receive any other upgrades like a new enclosure or are we absolutely sure that it will just be the chip. Because ill only be doing video editing surfing and general multimedia related tasks so i think ill be fine with the current mbp's but i dont want to have it bite me in the ass in september. I can wait if i have to but getting it now would be best as my sister is set up to get my computer when i get my new one.
     
  2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

    Zwhaler

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2006
    #2
    Other than minor details (perhaps a magnetic lid, rather than having up push that button), I think that we can't expect anything much more than a chip upgrade. I would wait for the upgrade, and then pounce.
     
  3. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

    tuartboy

    Joined:
    May 10, 2005
    #3
    Well, I think if you did editing you would be more excited about the chip upgrade. Video editing is heavily reliant upon CPU speed and the merom would be a benefit as I hear it is roughly 10-15% faster across the board. If it was just a chip upgrade, you would see the benefit.

    And no, no one is ever sure about anything. If you base your decisions on what might happen you may possibly make out with a better computer for your purposes. If you always wait, you will *always* miss out on the here and now.
     
  4. spencecb macrumors 6502a

    spencecb

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2003
    #4
    The Core Duo is a perfectly adequate chip, especially considering the incredibly compact enlosure of the MBP...That being said, if I were you, I would wait until at least MacWorld Paris because it is so close, and you don't want to buy a MBP right now and then have the new one come out in a couple of weeks.
     
  5. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

    ZoomZoomZoom

    Joined:
    May 2, 2005
    #5
    Paris is so close. MBPs are pretty certain to get a Merom update.

    Even if the difference is minimal and nothing else whatesoever is updated, waiting is good. Since immediately the price of the current MBPs will fall and you'll save some money off the bat if you decide that the new upgrades aren't that great.
     
  6. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

    gadgetgirl85

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #6
    That being said the current MBP is a perfectly adequate and speedy machine :)
     
  7. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

    ZoomZoomZoom

    Joined:
    May 2, 2005
    #7
    Aye, if the new MBPs don't have the x1800s next rev, I might be looking into appleintelrock's 17'' rev A MBP... the Core Duo is plenty fast.
     
  8. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

    gadgetgirl85

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #8
    It sure is :D My MBP is one speedy little machine I love it
     
  9. Easy Rider macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2006
    #9
    MBP isn't getting a remake until Santa Rosa comes out

    That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
     

Share This Page