about Shipping Time

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by daniviva, Aug 9, 2004.

1. daniviva macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I am going to buy a BTO 15" Powerbook and an ipod (cram and jam :D )in September; Can you tell me how long did you wait for your powerbook after you made an order on apple.com? Thx!! ;)

2. ozone macrumors 6502

ozone

Ha ha ha... daniviva... don't get me started. As I've complained a few times on this forum already, I ordered a BTO 17" PB on July 23 and 18 days later, it hasn't even gone out Apple's door, and then I've been warned it can take 7 to 10 more days to actually get to my door. If you poke around, I think you'll find that others have had much more reasonable build and ship times. In my case, I can only think of a few reasons:

- I'm in Canada. No quick delivery through all the piles of snow we have here in the middle of the summer!
    - I'm cursed.

The other reason - which a colleague of mine suggested because he received delayed orders from Apple in the past - is that Apple is changing something on their production lines and therefore cannot give me the old PB anymore: I'm going to get a brand spanking new G5 PB with a high res screen and built in iSight camera. Seriously, this happened to him twice and both times after the delay he ended up with increased processors. Knowing my luck and the fact there is nothing on the horizon for new laptop revisions for a few months at least -> fat chance. My laptop was probably dropped at the end of the line and now I'm back at the start of the queue.

Good luck. Seriously.

(As you can probably tell from the tone of my reply, I'm past mad, don't care anymore, and will probably end up with an inferior Windows machine once again.)

3. Nspace macrumors regular

I am in Ontario, Canada, and I ordered my Powerbook on the 21st at about 8:00 pm of July (a wed) and received it after the weekend on the monday (the 26th).

My iPod took longer (they will ship seperate).

the shipping times seem to be really unpredictable. I paid for expedite.

4. ozone macrumors 6502

ozone

See... I was right. I am cursed. I would have considered for expedited shipping... but it appears I have nothing that Apple can ship. What PB did your order?

Edit: Sorry, just saw the PB listed in your signature.
    Edit again: Well, I ordered a PB 17" with the same VRAM and HD as you, and it comes with a SuperDrive standard anyways, so I'm at a loss as to why mine is taking so bloody long.

5. Nspace macrumors regular

A custom 15". The one in my signature. I was suprised at how fast it shipped considering it wasn't stock.

6. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...normally a product that is in the middle of its life-cycle like the powerbooks are a custom build should not take more than a week at most to build/ship. But Apple are at the mercy of outside sources sometimes for parts so if the assembly plant happens to not have the particular custom part you want it can take longer...oh yeah!

7. ozone macrumors 6502

ozone

You know, I think I might just give up. Another member on a different thread ended up in a similar situation to me and he cancelled after the first delay.

Edit: Hey Duff-man... I got to say, I think you've got the coolest call signs with the "Duff-man says.." and the "oh yeah"!

8. daniviva thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you guys~!!

First of all, I want to say: I JUST LOVE THE PEOPLE OF THIS FORUM!!
    you guys are so nice, super-fast response !! I really appreciate your replies!!
    and I love this Mac community!!

The reason why I asked the question is because I want to have my powerbook around Sept. 30, My Birthday :D . ( pretty silly, huh? :p ) Thus, I want to know, generally, how long did people wait for the arrival of the product~

I read some posts before, some got their pb within a week, some waited for two weeks, some unlucky guys, like ozone, almost a month. Maybe I should consider for expedite~ by the way, how much is it ?

Thank you again!!

To Ozone: I feel sorry about your experience :( , ya~, you should have
    ordered with expedite shipping~
    anyway, you will get your 17' pb soon! ;)

To Duff-man: Well, "I love your style", that's what I want to say~ Oh,
    Yeah!
    :)

9. ozone macrumors 6502

ozone

Good luck Daniviva... in my case, I spoke to the Apple rep, and expedited shipping MIGHT help, but won't do anything for getting the damn thing built faster.

May the heavenly powers speed your PB to you in time for your b-day.