about smilies and icons with apple

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by picvert, Feb 22, 2004.

1. picvert macrumors newbie

I 've just buy a G 4 with OS 10.3.
    Could someone tell me how to :
    1-view and insert Icons and smilies with any applications( ex: world, Mail...)
    Is there a freeware to download for that?
    2-Is there a website especially for download smilies and "moving icons" for apple?
    Thanks for help

2. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I'd imagine that your "smilies" are just animated gifs. In that retrospec you may just be able to copy/drag Gif images into Word, Mail... A word of caustion though, if you send animated gifs through mail, don't send them out to people who dislike that stuff.

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Inserting images directly into text in email is bad practice, for instance in many of my accounts, such a message would be stripped of images, so all of the smilies you put in context would be shown as attachments at the bottom of the page. I would certainly be pissed if someone kept sending those messages to me. Why not use emoticons, like :p :mad: :\ :-0 as they come through no matter what... Smiley icons were merely meant to replace emoticons in applications that support them, like chat programs and web message boards like this... but are impractical otherwise.

Point is, i think your overuse of icons and smileys will cause difficulties... for little gain. Such things are little more than annoying novelties to most people on the 'net, maybe you shouldn't worry about them...

paul