about this heat

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by comictimes, Jul 23, 2006.

1. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

I haven't really looked at the weather for the rest of the country/world, but in northern California right now we're having an intense heat wave... it's been 100+ degrees at my house every day for the past 4 days I think. At night the temp goes down to 70 degrees at the lowest (actually last night I think the lowest it went was closer to 80...).

I've just been lazing around, and spending as much time as possible in Oakland, where it's probably 15-20º cooler a lot of the time.

So for those of you without air conditioning (like myself) what do you do to deal with the heat?

2. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

Its been boiling in the UK too. Its more like France than "normal" UK weather. I wear cool T-Shirts :p :D.

3. vniow macrumors G4

Get nekkid.

4. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

we've had our ice age, now we get the age of heat. makes sense

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Here is Sacramento it's getting pretty bad.

The national weather service has put Sacto. County under a heat advisory, and our power grid is under a stage one emergency. The Sacramento Municipal Utility District is having minor outages because energy demand is so high.

So far, one library has been closed because of the heat and 108 residents in a convalescent home had to be evacuated to nearby hospitals after one heat-related death and one patient in critical condition (the AC wasn't working properly).

It's our 7th straight day in triple digit heat. Today is supposed to be around 110 F.

Attached Files:

6. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

I'll tell you about This Heat: they were a great band, way ahead of their time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_heat

Oh, nevermind.

95º in San Francisco proper. It always gets absurd in the summer if high pressure keeps the fog from rolling in. Good thing the heat wave is happening on a weekend, otherwise we might be looking at rolling blackouts -- and it still could happen on Monday even though the forecast calls for a slow cooling trend.

Meanwhile, Australia and New Zealand are facing winter temperatures well below average.

7. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Dude no kidding. Folsom is blazing hot and at night it hovers around the high 80's. Today at 8:30 am it was already 90 something!! I mean I know it gets hot around here but damn.

8. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Argh, it got to 110 degrees in the south bay yesterday. Before I left to go to Santa Cruz around 7:30PM, it was honestly still 99 degrees. :( I likes me some summer, but this is a bit too warm, even for my taste.

9. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Ya, don't pay attention to the lows in our forecast because it's a big fat lie. It seems like we are lucky if the temp drops below 85 F at night.

10. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

yes I spent a few hours in the living room last night with the patio door wide open because it was too damn hot upstairs.

Damn you global warming!

11. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Here in orange county, California it's about 110F (44C) and the air conditioner isn't working, so it's over 90F (33C) in the house. And having my desktop computer heating the hottest room in my house doesn't help things either. I just have to put up with this heat.

12. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    London is hot too - not as hot, since we're in the 90s rather than the 100s, but given how far north it is compared to most US cities, it's surprising.

Not least, since London isn't designed to cope with heat. Few buildings have air conditioning and nor does the overcrowded transport network. Last week temperatures were measured at 52C (125F) on the buses and 47C (116F) on the Tube when humidity was taken into account - and most Londoners have to get on one or other to get to work.

Still... I'd complain more if it was its usual rainy self... ;)

13. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

I live in a highrise on the 32nd floor of 35 with no air conditioning. Often times, I thought of going over the balcony railing to end my suffering. :p

14. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

75 Degrees F over here

Don't know what all this talk is about it being hot. However 75 is on the cusp of being hot

15. asherman13 macrumors 6502a

asherman13

101 here in the North Bay....sheesh. :(

EDIT We have 8 (count 'em) ceiling fans in our house, and we just got these new things called Reel Screens installed inside our french doors so that we can leave the doors open for a breeze yet have a disappearing screen to keep bugs, etc. out. Pretty cool, eh? We also have a pool.

16. nightdweller25 macrumors 6502

If i could be so lucky! Yesterday reached 117 and today it's supposed to surpass 120 with 88 degrees as the coolest at night!(NO AIR CONDITIONER!:eek:)

17. dbhays macrumors regular

dbhays

It's a nice cool 70F/21C here in Monterey, CA. Yesterday it was 101F, with some areas reporting 114F. Finally the cooling from the ocean has begun :).

18. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

This is what I thought of, too ... :eek:

I guess we're over the heat in southern New England, but god, I hate(d) it. Am working on unpacking/assembling our new digs, and when it's as hot as it was, I lose all motivation. Makes me want to move back to Maine.

I painted our bathroom when it was about 95 with a dewpoint in the low 70's. God I was disgusting.

19. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Vancouver, Canada is hot too. Temperature was nearly 95 (f) in some places yesterday (including where I live :( ), we're getting dang close again just now.

20. macsrockmysocks macrumors regular

It's only about 85º in New Orleans right now. Still, after this rain clears, it will get hotter. Thank god I have a brand new house and new A/C!

21. kildraik macrumors 6502a

kildraik

It's been 100+ all last week, ~80s this weekend in KCMO. I haven't sweat once, except when tanning nakie:p . I love it!!!!

22. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

My fridge is too small even if I curl up into a ball. Curses.

23. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

For the past week and a half its been oven hot but today seems cool....it's nice outside..think I'm gonna sit on the steps and surf the net.

Bless

24. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

hit 118 few days ago in the Phoenix valley, and I get to work outside to! whoo go me!

25. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

So far I will not be moveing from the Seattle area if this high heat continues for years in the lower States.

High 80'sF here in the Seattle area.