Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hvalern

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
Hey, Having a problem with my macbook air!

On my harddisk i have:

Audio: 11,25 gb
Movies: 12,74
Photos: 0
Apps: 0
Backups: 0
other 92,15 gb (??)

That´s my problem, the other part is taking all of the space? it was 74, an hour ago, and suddenly it went up to 92. Anyone know why?

Sorry if this is posted on the wrong place!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
There are a few things you can try:
  • Search with Finder to see if the space is being consumed by a very large file or several large files. Adjust the 50GB in the illustration to whatever size you deem appropriate.
    Space Missing on Hard Drive.PNG
  • For Time Machine users on Lion, Time Machine local snapshots may be consuming space.
  • Use DiskInventory X (pre-Lion), OmniDiskSweeper, JDisk Report or GrandPerspective to see how space is being used on your drive. Some of these apps may show more detail than others, so try several.

Last edited:

Satori

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2006
London
Hey, Having a problem with my macbook air!

On my harddisk i have:

Audio: 11,25 gb
Movies: 12,74
Photos: 0
Apps: 0
Backups: 0
other 92,15 gb (??)

That´s my problem, the other part is taking all of the space? it was 74, an hour ago, and suddenly it went up to 92. Anyone know why?

Sorry if this is posted on the wrong place!

It sounds as if an application is rapidly caching information or storing temporary files. Utilities like Onyx or MainMenu (both free) can help clean up temporary files, caches and logs, and are straightforward to use.

Stewart21

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2011
South Yorkshire
My vote would go to Time Machine stored backups. Unless you are connected to a backup device (external drive etc) all the time then Time Machine stores backups on your hard drive until you do connect to an external device. Turn Time Machine off until you've connected an external drive then turn it on to get a backup and turn it off again. Or use Super Duper or various other backup progs without setting them to do automatic backups.

Stewart

Hvalern

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
Thanks!

There are a few things you can try:

Thanks! OmniDiskSweeper worked things out and i managed to delete most of my "other" files. OmniDiskSweeper was really easy to understand too, Again - Thanks :)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I'm having a similar problem. I just posted this in another thread. I've had my MBA for only 4 weeks. Very few files on this. I have, however, formatted 8 movies into this. When I go to STORAGE, OTHER (yellow bar) is taking up my MP4 formatted movie files. MOVIE (purple bar) stays the same.

Lastly, when I go to FINDER, under MOVIE, it only display 2 of the movies. But when I go to MOVIES under FAVORITES, that list to the far left, it displays all 8.
What format are the movies? Are they all the same format?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.