About to buy a Canon Powershot S2 IS for my Pbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Shacklebolt, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Shacklebolt macrumors 6502a

Sep 2, 2004
    I don't know how many of you own this particular camera, but I think it's going to be pretty awesome. The problem is, it's clocking in at ~455 dollars, but I feel it's worth it. However, it comes with only a 16 MB card, and it runs on 4 AA batteries, so NiMH rechargables are probably the best.

Does anyone have any recommendations for good yet inexpensive batteries + memory cards? I was hoping to get a 1GB, but I think a 512 MB would be alright too. And as for the batteries, I think it needs two sets.

Does anyone have any advice, or can anyone think of something that I'm missing?

2. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

Mar 17, 2003
    I use a 512MB card in my 7MP camera and it's fine, I've even gone on two week trips and snapped away without filling it up (although I do have a look through them every night and delete the ones I don't want).

I think you've got to remember how many rolls of film a card can hold, because I certainly wouldn't be taking 30+ rolls of film on a trip with a normal camera.

Just one thing, you might want to get a hi-speed card. These read and write faster, so your camera is ready for taking the next shot faster. There is some debate as to how useful it is, but when spending this much I don't worry about the couple of extra $ and just get it.

edit: edesign will probably know more about this.
  3. weg macrumors 6502a

Mar 29, 2004
    I don't know about the Powershot S2, but I have some problems with iPhoto and my Powershot G3 camera. PTP mode doesn't work at all, and if I use the generic Canon transfer protocol (which is supported by iPhoto), sometimes iPhoto refuses to import several photos ("unkown file format", "corrupted" or whatever). Windows XP imports those photos without problems - my best guess is that iPhoto has some kind of timeout bug, since the problem only occurs if I transfer a lot of photos (usually after 2 weeks of vacation ;-)).