About to buy a PB Online....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by supersalzme, Dec 31, 2005.

1. supersalzme macrumors member

Is the 7200rpm hardrive good? I would like the extra speed and space...but it seems like it gets mixed reviews from people on here.

2. supersalzme thread starter macrumors member

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Yes. It would be foolish not to get it.

4. jaduffy108 macrumors 6502a

>>Sorry, but *I* think it's foolish to buy a Powerbook right now...just days a away from MWSF??? Good luck...

peace

5. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

I have a 7200rpm drive in my PB right now, up from a 5400. It does make a noticeable difference in an older Powerbook like mine, I can't say how much you'll feel it though. Of course, if you get a slower drive, that might bottleneck an otherwise blazing system...

I would recommend getting a large 5400 drive, and buying a 7200 from newegg.com or somewhere more reasonably priced. Then you could keep the 5400 in an external enclosure for backups, and have a fast drive for less!

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Many people want to make sure they get the last of the PPCs before the switch. I can't say I disagree.

7. adk macrumors 68000

adk

The upgrade to the 100GB 7200 drive on a 15" PB is $200. The only 100GB 7200RPM 2.5" drive at newegg is $245. doesn't really sound like a good idea to me.

8. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Plus, what are the warranty implications of removing your hard drive and adding a new one?

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Yah, but you net out a 60 or 80 Gb 5400 RPM drive as well.

Or go for an 80 Gb 7200 plus your 80 5400 in a case.

10. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

the ppc models will almost undoubtedly be cheaper once new models are released, so even if you want the PPC model it's probably worth waiting.

11. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

If there are any left they probably will be for a slightly reduced price. New but outdated Macs usually sell for what ever the educational price is.

12. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

By all means wait till the offerings are known on the 9th then order
    knowing all your alternatives.

13. supersalzme thread starter macrumors member

Well, I just got a 15" pb, upgraded to a gig of ram. I know most of you think I'm crazy for doing it before macworld, and because the screens have the terrible (I can't even notice them) lines. Here's why I did it:

-I start school back up on the 3rd, and didn't want to have to wait
    -I only do light audio work, so the lines, and the power of the current PB is just fine
    -This is my FIRST mac, so I was afraid to get an intel because of the bugs
    -I need one now, so I got one now

Finally, my parents paid for most all of it, so saving an extra hundred bucks or so didn't matter to me. I will post when I pick it up later tonight. I can't wait!

Oh, and the lines thing....I wish I would have never read the forums, because I would have never noticed them. I DO on the other hand, understand people who are not satisfied with them...because if you did do extensive picture editing, it would be annoying.

14. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Congratulations!

I'm sure you'll be delighted and your parents can write it off on this years 2005 taxes.

One benefit you may have is that IF something amazing comes out on
    the 9th in dual core PowerBooks you'll be within the 14 day no questions
    return policy window.

You might get stuck paying a restocking fee if your PB is flawless, but you'll still have options.

15. supersalzme thread starter macrumors member

THIS THING IS AMAZING! I couldn't ask for anything more. It's so fast (compared to my pc) and I like all the added features of OSX. The lines? I really lucked out. They are there (as I knew they would) but are FAR less noticable than any PB I have played with in about 3 different apple stores. I have to literally be a quarter of an inch away to see them. My christmas came late, but I'm one happy dude.

16. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

As long as you're happy, that really is all that matters.

17. dr427 macrumors regular

dr427

I just joined the Mac side in October and made the switch from PC by buying an Imac 20" G5 (days before the new one darnit) and a Mac Mini (for my son). Love the switch! Couldn't be happier, but now I am thinking of getting a 3rd mac....Ibook 12" or Powerbook 12" if possible. But for this I am thinking "used" since it would get the least amount of use.

Doing a little research I am guessing nothing less than a 1ghz processor and 512 mb of ram. The drive doesn't have to be a superdrive, but I only really want to spend around $500 for a used book.

Should I wait for the January MWSF since I am buying used or before?

And is $500 for a 1-2 year old ibook unrealistic?

18. kwajaln macrumors 6502

kwajaln

CONGRATS!!! But hopefully you did the RAM upgrade yourself instead of paying the $$$ for Apple RAM. Even though it was your parents' money . . .

19. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

Congrats on making the Switch. Why not wait a week to see what hardware announcements (if any) are made at MacWorld.